“Meat is not great...”
Review of MadJacks BBQ - CLOSED

MadJacks BBQ
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed 11 May 2016

The seasonings are very good but the ribs are dry and chewy - just generally not very good. I have placed a few take out orders since they opened, but each time I do, I have the same reaction - good sauces but subpar ribs... Their cornbread is good - but you get only a small piece with your entree - and the baked beans were very tasty - perfect blend of sweet and spicy and cooked perfectly... but Just FYI - They have moved to a new location on Rte 7 in Lanesborough..

Reviewed 17 August 2015

MadJacks is a small barbecue place in Lanesborough, Mass. The portions are generous, but the meat does not quite live up to the promise of good "low and slow" Q. Probably the best item we had was the St. Louis ribs, which were meaty, had some good smoke and were very tender. The baby back ribs seemed to have been parboiled and picked up very little smoke. While tender, they were pretty flavorless. The same held true of the brisket, which had been chopped into little cubes rather than sliced. It had a nice beefy taste, but the smoke was lacking. The sides were pretty successful, especially the slightly spicy collards, the cole slaw, and the green beans.

The kitchen seems a bit slow. If they could amp up the smoke in their meat, MadJacks would certainly be worth four stars.

Reviewed 30 September 2014

We've been to Mad Jacks several times during the summer months. My favorite time is on a weekend when they might be having live music brought in. Their BBQ is quite good...different flavors and size combos you can order..BUT.....think twice before having the coleslaw. It's not your usual. They have added fennel seed which gives it, in our opinion, a nasty flavor, Some times the waitress will actually tell you and sometimes not. So if you're not crazy about trying something different..don't get it. Otherwise enjoy the rest of the food..and whatever you may like from the bar. VM
PS. We went by our local Pittsfield Mad Jacks just recently and looks like they either moved or went out of business?????

Jabari P, Owner at MadJacks BBQ, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2014

Hello, as the owner of MadJacks I wanted to personally respond to your review.. We have in fact closed our location on North Street due to the construction of the new Hotel on North due to open in Spring of 2015. We are currently in the process of relocating to Church Street in Lenox and will be partnering with the Village Inn to bring MadJacks to Lenox. Opening date TBD. Thank you for taking the time to review us. I understand about the coleslaw all of our customers either love it... or hate it. It's an acquired taste for sure, that enough people love to keep it the same.

Thank you again.

Reviewed 26 August 2014

We were looking for a restaurant near Barrington Stage in downtown Pittsfield. I love ribs and barbecue. But I'm reluctant to order them up north because they just don't measure up to what I've been spoiled on in Tennessee where I used to travel frequently for business. I was pleasantly surprised by Mad Jacks. The baby backs were to die for. Great flavor and the meat just slid off the bone. The barbecue baked beans were delicious but a little on the hard side ( al dente). Tender brisket. Good sauces. While this isn't the healthiest food in the world, it's a wonderful indulgence and we're going back again. The service was good, too. And, did I mention the fabulous cornbread. Second to none. Mad Jacks could hold its own if it was located in Memphis. And, the prices won't break your wallet.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

It's taken a long time for my husband and I to get here; as a non-red-meat-eater, I didn't find the idea all that appealing. But we went tonight, and both had excellent meals. He had the St. Louis' ribs - the full rack actually defeated him (don't think I've seen that before), and he loved them. He did have to ask for extra sauce, but it was brought willingly and without any surcharge. I had the catfish plate, with sides of mashed potatoes and green beans - all excellent. Loved the seasoning on the catfish, and the catfish mayo. Green beans were very garlicky, but fresh and delicious.

We ate at the bar, and enjoyed Matt's service (exactly attentive enough) and his straightforward recommendations, as well as the casual atmosphere that was both friendly and private, in desired measure.

1  Thank LVPD