As the website describes, it really does have a nice setting - albeit zero landscaping to make it enjoyable or anywhere near the "5 acres of award winning rose gardens" advertised on the site. That said, its location is great. The staff is friendly. And the price is right. But in general, if I'm objectively reviewing this motel... it's just really not a well-maintained place. It feels like it had its heyday long ago, and aside from painting and some minor upgrades, has seen relatively little as far as improvements and maintenance since that time.
I'm baffled by some of the comments in other reviews, because to say it's "very well taken care of" is simply not true. I'm not going to overtly bash it - but I will just scratch my head and wonder why the management doesn't focus some TLC on the grounds and the buildings. Some of it will require money, sure, but some of it feels like it could be corrected with simply a little extra effort. Are they full all summer? Do they not need to make improvements to fill the rooms? That's the only explanation I can think of...
I've read replies from management to others' comments where management pleads "I wish you would've contacted us while you were here so we had a chance to correct the issue." Here's the problem: the issues that would be brought up are simply too big and/or general to be addressed in response to a complaint. And frankly, most of them *should* be self-evident to someone running a motel and concerned about how their property is perceived by its customers... and what those customers might say about it on a site such as... tripadvisor. It shouldn't take someone complaining about things to have it be addressed - be a little proactive!
That said, it feels like the place is stuck in some timewarp (I guess I'm too young to appreciate it at 41?), and I speculate that the management are somewhat oblivious to how it's perceived by its customers. I don't run a hotel, so I'm sure it's fraught with challenges, but from my perspective, it feels like some relatively small things could be done which could go a long way toward the perception guests have of the motel.
As it stands, and despite the good things it does offer (location, staff friendliness, and a decent pool), my family will not stay here again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Swim in our oversized outdoor pool & relax in our spacious tree shaded courtyard with gazebo. Enjoy a complimentary continental breakfast served daily in our cafe. We are located directly on the Bike Trails & are a short walk to Main St. Orleans - with its many restaurants, shops and galleries. Free Wireless internet access now available. All rooms are smoke free and are equipped with refrigerators. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com and Expedia so you can book your Governor Prence Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Governor Prence Hotel Orleans
- Governor Prence Motel
- Governor Prence Inn Orleans, MA - Cape Cod