“Has Potential... Needs TLC”

Governor Prence Inn
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Orleans
Reviewed 11 July 2012

As the website describes, it really does have a nice setting - albeit zero landscaping to make it enjoyable or anywhere near the "5 acres of award winning rose gardens" advertised on the site. That said, its location is great. The staff is friendly. And the price is right. But in general, if I'm objectively reviewing this motel... it's just really not a well-maintained place. It feels like it had its heyday long ago, and aside from painting and some minor upgrades, has seen relatively little as far as improvements and maintenance since that time.

I'm baffled by some of the comments in other reviews, because to say it's "very well taken care of" is simply not true. I'm not going to overtly bash it - but I will just scratch my head and wonder why the management doesn't focus some TLC on the grounds and the buildings. Some of it will require money, sure, but some of it feels like it could be corrected with simply a little extra effort. Are they full all summer? Do they not need to make improvements to fill the rooms? That's the only explanation I can think of...

I've read replies from management to others' comments where management pleads "I wish you would've contacted us while you were here so we had a chance to correct the issue." Here's the problem: the issues that would be brought up are simply too big and/or general to be addressed in response to a complaint. And frankly, most of them *should* be self-evident to someone running a motel and concerned about how their property is perceived by its customers... and what those customers might say about it on a site such as... tripadvisor. It shouldn't take someone complaining about things to have it be addressed - be a little proactive!

That said, it feels like the place is stuck in some timewarp (I guess I'm too young to appreciate it at 41?), and I speculate that the management are somewhat oblivious to how it's perceived by its customers. I don't run a hotel, so I'm sure it's fraught with challenges, but from my perspective, it feels like some relatively small things could be done which could go a long way toward the perception guests have of the motel.

As it stands, and despite the good things it does offer (location, staff friendliness, and a decent pool), my family will not stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank SkinnyLumpkin
Management response:Responded 14 July 2012

We're always concerned when one of our guests doesn't feel that their experience at our motel met all of their expectations. It is our goal to ensure that people enjoy their stay here.
The owners, staff and I do spend a quite lot of time, money and effort each and every year to improve and upgrade the rooms and grounds.
This year alone we replaced the furniture and mattress' in over 20 rooms--we also installed flat screen 32" TV's in another 20 rooms. We have built a new stairway for guests to access the courtyard building rooms and planted many trees, perennial flowers and shrubberies. This is in addition to the normal painting and upkeep which we do as routine maintainence.
Our work & efforts here are constant & ongoing--and I always consider the motel to be a work in progress.Of course there is always room for improvement--which is why I do take the guest's comments and suggestions seriously --especially ones that address specific issues.
I'm confident--based on 12+ years here speaking to our guests-- that we do provide a good value for the price we charge--relative to what is available here on Cape Cod. I'm sorry that this guest did not feel this way.
I will also say - that I have spoken to many long term repeat guests this season--and all of them have complimented us on all of the improvements--which they all have thought were quite noticible.
I'm sorry that this particular guest didn't have a positive experience--however I do take some consolation in knowing that the great majority of our guests-- do enjoy their stay here with us while in Orleans.

Reviewed 6 July 2012

My wife and I have stayed at the GP 3 times now, heading back for a 4th visit soon. We have always loved the central location,pool and nice area outside for a quick breakfast. This past visit we were happy to see that the staff had been doing some small updates to the rooms such as new fixtures and new furniture during the off season. Still the best place to stay on the Cape for those with problems with allergies.

Room Tip: ask for #28 if you don't like rugs
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank stratokaster
Management response:Responded 13 July 2012

Thanks for taking the time to write your nice review of our motel.
We appreciate that you have noticed that we have replaced the furniture- in 20+ rooms over the off-season-- as well as installing 32" flat screen TV's in another 20 of our rooms.
We do spend considerable time and do invest in maintaining and improving the property each year. Its nice to see that this effort is recognized and appreciated by our repeat guests.

Reviewed 2 July 2012

We have stayed here every summer for > 12 years. Never had problems: clean, kind staff, big pool and great location. Can walk to 5-6 places at night, and short drive to Nauset beach. Free cereal, fruit and bagels in morning is a plus.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Ann M
Management response:Responded 13 July 2012

We always appreciate when one of our many satisfied customers takes the time to write a positve review here. The staff, owners and I always strive to ensure that our customers have a great time here---- when they choose to stay with us.
It is especially gratifiying to know that someone has enjoyed their time here so much-- that they have returned to stay again year after year. This is a testiment to the fact that we do satisfy the needs of the vast majority of our guests--- as well as providing a good value.

Reviewed 24 May 2012

We have been coming to Cape Cod for over 30 years now and had the opportunity to stay at the Governor Prence on several occasions. It is a very clean and hospitable place compared to some of the other resorts. It is close to Nauset Beach, Skaket Beach and a short distance to Coast Guard Beach. It is right on the bike trail and has some great shops and rerstaurants within walking distance. It is not a neon motel it has class. We love it ...Cooke's restaurant is across the street and so is the Christmas Tree shop which is always a good place to shop in. There is a great little bakery across the street too. The Gov is one of the best if not The best place to stay on the Cape. It has so much Cape charm ....Some people are absolutely rude making such terrible comments about the Gov....they don't understand the saltiness of the environment and just a little cloudiness on the windows is not dirt...these people must have OCD's and don't know the difference between climate and cleanliness. It is always clean with brand new mattresses and a lovely decor for a New England beach town resort. It is very well taken care of and I would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: they have pet friendly rooms in the back and poolside rooms for families who like a play areafor the...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank KyLaConnecticut
David R, General Manager at Governor Prence Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2012

Thanks for taking the time to write a nice positive review of our motel.
Its great that you appreciate all of the many good qualities which our motel offers our guests.
Its unfortunate that too many people who post on this site choose to accentuate the negative--and that our ranking here is unchanged because we have elected to put our money back into the property-- rather than to purchase endorsement badges.
This year alone-- we have refurnished 20 rooms-- with new furniture and bedding--installed flat screen 32" TVs in another 20 rooms and done much general upkeep and painting --including repainting the outdoor pool and pool deck.
We always have customer satisfaction as our primary goal--and that has-- and continues to motivate our staff & owners-- to do everything which we can-- to ensure our guests have an enjoyable stay here at our property.
Its nice that this guest took the time to recognize and appreciate the efforts of our staff. Thank you!

Reviewed 26 September 2011

First of all Orleans is trashy, so I didn't expect much. First walk in the thin door, which could be push down if someone tried to break in, and are overwhelmed with a mildew smell. Wallpaper pealing on walls, mold on bathroom walls and poor lighting. I was there for a wedding so I just booked the closest place, and since it wasn't a vacation trip I didn't switch motels, but by the looks of it every motel in Orleans looked scary. I will say staff was friendly and rooms were clean, but that should be expected anyway. Don't forget to try the solid bagels in the morning also.

Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank dskumby
beachplumbr, General Manager at Governor Prence Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2011

I'm glad that this guest had some positive experiences while he was at our hotel in Orleans.
Its great that he appreciated the clean rooms and good customer service,
I'm sorry to read that he didn't find much else to like about his accomodations --or the entire town of Orleans for that matter-
Its unfortunate that he chose to vent his criticism on the internet --rather than trying to resolve his issues in a constructive manner --when he was in a position where some remedy could have been offered.
Its too bad -that rather than appreciating what makes Orleans unique and attractive to most visitors--the authentic small town "old Cape Cod" -was perceived in such a negative light.
Since the entire town is surrounded by ocean water--things can become damp --however we do take whatever cleaning & maintenance measures are required to prevent visible mold and mildew from occurring.
I'm pleased to know that as another summer "season" draws to a close-- that the vast, silent majority of our guests and visitors-- do appreciate the charm of both a small town & motel which isn't part of the cookie cutter corporate world-- and which has survived and thrived for over 40 summers(under the same continuous ownership) by providing our many guests' --many of whom return year after year--with clean comfortable rooms at a reasonable price--This has always-- and will continue to be our mission!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Orleans
9.1 km away
Skaket Beach Motel
#1 of 8 in Orleans
1 km away
Olde Tavern Motel & Inn

Been to Governor Prence Inn? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK