“That old Cape Cod Magic”

Olde Tavern Motel & Inn
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Orleans
Reviewed 28 August 2011

Our most recent trip to the OTM was indicative of our other experiences. I have had the occasion to stay off season as part of a bachelorette party with adults only and this year in July on a Saturday night with the whole family at the end of our rental week when we just wanted one more day to enjoy the beautiful weather before heading back to reality! This past weekend was a trip for moms and kids and we knew that the OTM would be the perfect place. We love Orleans because it is close to the Brewster flats, the waves at Nauset and the National Seashore in Eastham and the kids love to hit all of these places. Thing is, they can only usually do these things in short bursts so last weekend we spent the mornings at the beaches and the afternoons at the pool. We could nap them, shower them and many affordable restaurant choices in close proximity for walking or driving. If you had older kids, they would absolutely be able to walk about to explore the area.

The rooms are great. Having the fridge and microwave made things easier on us-- we stored drinks, snacks, food for the beach and because we had stayed before had the foresight to bring a cooler with cold cuts. I am finicky and if I am not flying to my destination will usually bring my own comforter and pillows so I can't speak to the linens but can say we slept like babies. Nothing like a dark, air conditioned room! Unlike some of the reviewers, I did not hear any of my neighbors, other than in the morning. This is an active place where there are many bikers, beach goers, etc. so there was a lot of activity outside in the morning.

The staff was awesome. Dave gave us rooms side by side that seemed tailored for our crowd and everytime they saw us around they were always asking if there was anything we needed.

We are looking forward to our next getaway... Looks like it may be an impromptu family reunion!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 17 August 2011

We visited Cape Cod for a wedding in October. Most of our friends stayed at the very expensive location of the wedding reception (Wequassett Resort and Golf Club) but we decided to go with the substantially less expensive off-season option and stay close to where the ceremony was held (church was in Orleans).
Yes, this place isn't the Ritz, JW Marriott, etc. But for the price I found it to be a nice motel, exactly what it's supposed to be. For a last minute special, booked less than a week before the wedding, it worked out great!
Our room was a “One larger queen room with deck” on the rear, southeast-facing side of the motel. We had a dresser, TV, table w/ 2 chairs, refrigerator, bar to hang clothes on, and a bathroom. The bathroom was sufficiently sized, not huge but usable.
The room and bathroom were very clean. The staff was friendly, not only the people at the front desk, but housekeeping too. When we arrived we asked for an iron & ironing board so we could get unpacked and ready for the rehearsal festivities. Not only were we provided with both I was also given a hair dryer (hadn't thought to ask, glad they helped me think!).
The décor is a bit outdated, I’ll agree with that. But really nothing was old and disgusting to the point that I didn’t want to touch it. Kind of like staying at grandma’s, she doesn’t have the latest and greatest granite in the bathroom like we do at home, but it’s clean and well cared for. There are plenty of visually appealing chain places I’ve stayed at that aren’t nearly as well cleaned or cared for.
If I was ever to head back to this area of Cape Cod I’d definitely stay at this motel again. Based on what some others experienced at motels in the area, we paid less for a similar experience. Yes, not the snazzy golf resort, but I’d rather spend my money elsewhere in this situation. Plus it allowed me more time to get ready for the wedding! I’d probably not stay in a room off the backyard again. It wasn’t super easy to haul our luggage (4 days worth, but a combo of dress & casual clothes) through the series of doors to reach our room. The back lawn area was nice except for the Saturday morning we spent in our room listening to some sort of marching band practice. Not the hotel’s fault, but we were too close for my comfort!
We found some nifty little places to have local seafood in the area. We ate at Land Ho and enjoyed the local beer & seafood. We stopped at the grocery store down the street for some snacks which made the refrigerator handy. Rather than staying at a fancy place with a restaurant we were forced to venture out, worked out well.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kiwifuz
Reviewed 2 August 2011

I have stayed in this motel in the past and was not able to get in for the entire weekend so I only booked the one night I could get in. In the past I have been very happy with this motel. Here were the bad points - rooms seriously need an upgrade. Same as it was years ago, carpeting and all. Air conditioner did not work or broke at some point, lamp falling off the wall, and let's get to the old time pull down shade that when I pulled on it to have it retract in the morning, part of it came off the window. The best part is when I asked what time breakfast was in the morning, I was told 8:30 am. At 8:53 am, the office was still closed with people waiting outside for their coffee and muffins! People, including us, just left their keys. My advice is, to stay at the Skaket Beach Motel a little up the road with a nice working air conditioning, really nice beds, pillows and bedding, and an updated bathroom. Not to mention homemade muffins right on time when they said with really nice hosts. I'm sorry I left Skaket Beach Motel for my one night of $23 cheaper. I should have paid the extra money and would have been a lot happier!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank KRZ21
Reviewed 29 July 2011

Better than some other motels we've stayed at in the Cape. Furniture is outdated BUT the rooms and bathrooms are clean. Having a refridgerator in the room is a plus. They do have a vending machine for drinks, ice maker and microwave available for the guests to use in a common area. Pool was very nice and the kids thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed 28 July 2011

At over $200 a night with tax, this was pretty lame. The room was dingy and tired, the carpet threadbare. The bathroom was functional, but purely utilitarian.

I understand that people want to use this as a jumpoff point for exploring the Cape, but even spending just nights here would be a disappointing.

The only upside was that the service was great -- the guy running the front desk was friendly and very helpful. He even managed to will a power cord into existence for us!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank azephyr
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orleans
4.9 km away
1.0 km away
Governor Prence Inn
Governor Prence Inn
#6 of 8 in Orleans

Been to Olde Tavern Motel & Inn? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK