“Wow - great chowder”

Smithsonian Cafe and Chowderhouse
Ranked #52 of 153 Restaurants in Northampton
Reviewed 29 June 2017

A friend and I were doing the I-91 Yarn Hop and just needed something quick for lunch. We saw the sign on the highway and said, let's try it. We will be back!

We both had the clam chowder (thick, creamy, lots of clams), a popover (hot, chewy, crisp outside) and we split a salad (I don't remember which kind). Everything was terrific. I would go back just for the chowder.

It was only after we ordered everything and sat down to eat that we spotted the cupcakes. Next time.

It was smallish, though there was outside seating. (It was too hot for us!) The AC wasn't really working (they were fixing it at the time), but it was comfortable. The staff were helpful and made some great suggestions.

If you see the sign on the highway in Northampton MA, pull off the highway and stop. You won't be disappointed.

Reviewed 18 June 2017

Serves soups, popovers, salads and cupcakes. We had the seafood chowder (average) and cream of asparagus soup -- which was largely a gluey substance of some sort with a bits of asparagus in it (including five hard, chewy pieces I had to remove from my mouth). Not much of any taste other than salt. Would have been better to just blend asparagus with a bit of cream. Both soups needed to go back for a reheat at they were initially lukewarm. The server was gracious and accommodating.

The popovers are big and okay but nothing to write home about. They're a bit heavy and overly doughy inside. My husband had the pulled pork stuff popover with cheese. It was huge (more than we could eat together). The pulled pork was tender. I found the sauce meager and too sweet for my taste -- prefer spicy myself.

We took home two cupcakes. The German Chocolate one was average....a bit on the dry side (probably from yesterday as this was Saturday night). The frosting had a generous amount of coconut but it was grainy. The carrot cake one was pretty good. Again, tasted like it might have been better yesterday. I missed the tang of the traditional cream cheese frosting -- the pile of fluffy stuff on it made the whole thing overly sweet. But once I scraped that off, the cake itself was decent.

All said, I can commend this place. You can get better versions of these items elsewhere. And for less than $30 for two.

Reviewed 31 May 2017 via mobile

Had lunch here last weekend. We both had soup (chowder and tomato) with a popover. The soup was delicious and the popover was steaming hot and so good with either butter or dipping it in the soup. The sandwiches sounded amazing so we will have to come back again to try them! And we didn't have room for the cupcakes- so many kinds to choose from..

Reviewed 13 March 2017

Great little place! Aimee, a very nice young woman was working and she suggested the seafood chowder their signature soup and a popover. It was really great chowder and the popover was giant and delicious! They had seven soups on hand and i had a sample of the golumpki soup and that was delicious and fresh as well. they had grilled cheese sandwiches, stuffed popovers and salads also. this place is a gem! You won't be dissapointed!

1  Thank tborawski
Reviewed 14 November 2016 via mobile

Love their soups - of course! But what I REALLY love is their carrot cake cupcakes. I think I'm a carrot cake snob - and nothing beats them!

1  Thank BeerVenturer