“Well Done!”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 12 June 2016 via mobile

Our experience was stellar. Creative menu, well prepared dishes, crisp friendly service. Beet salad was great starter, with pasta dishes perfectly prepared. Good, well rounded wine list finished it off

1  Thank I3423OUrichardp

Reviewed 11 June 2016

I recall fondly the early days when Spoleto located then on Crafts ave. during the 80's was a wonderful place with a great staff and good eats for a reasonable price. Claudio's latest version offers up mediocrity at its finest! The service was bizarre and completely lacking in decorum and the food was not much better than the specials at Applebees! The only thing I ate that was delicious was the bread, although our waiter brought us a tiny basket, enough for about half of us. We love to go out to dinner but once again we discovered that finding a good restaurant is a major challenge......

3  Thank mgoldbloom58
Reviewed 10 June 2016

We stopped here for an early dinner when the restaurant opened at 4:30 p.m. on a Sunday night. A man seated us promptly and our waitress immediately appeared. Service continued to be good throughout our stay, but I wasn't as pleased with my choice for dinner.

I ordered the pear and truffle salad ($12). It consisted mostly of bibb lettuce with a scant inclusion of argula, buratta, prosciutto, fresh lemon, olive oil, truffle, black pepper and grana padano. There was a reasonable amount of Reisling poached pear slices, but the fruit was not quite ripe and I didn't like its taste with truffle. I found the whole concoction to be somewhat bland and unappealing. My husband considered his cod ($20) to be overcooked but really liked the tomato-rhubarb chutney that came with it. We shared the chocolate mousse with berries ($8) for dessert and thought it was superb.

I found the restaurant's simple decor to be appealing. It has an open kitchen at one end, a bar along one wall and tables and booths for diners. We were seated near the front window and had a nice view of street activity. The restaurant was about 75 percent full when we left at 5:30 p.m. There is a huge free (at least when we visited) parking lot at the rear.

Reviewed 10 June 2016

Can you tell whether a restaurant is really good from one or two dishes? Probably not. But you can decide whether you would come back. We had good and bad experiences at Spoleto's many years ago and it just dropped off our radar. On a warm Thursday evening we were driving buy, saw lots of flowers and a few outdoor tables. We decided to give them another try-just a pasta dish, a glass of wine and maybe dessert.

My wife and I both opted for the Rabbit Ragu. Was it the best rabbit dish we have ever had? Definitely not. Nor the best pasta. But it was an agreeable dish, and there were some decent choices of wine by the glass. Our desserts, a dark chocolate mousse and a semifreddo were respectable. Any restaurant that lists 7 Amaros on its after dinner drinks menu gets my approval and attention.

It will take another dinner before I feel entirely comfortable here; but there will be another dinner!

By the way, while they have a large parking lot, it is full of serious potholes. Make sure your dinner doesn't involve a subsequent trip to a body shop.

1  Thank ulysses4
Reviewed 20 May 2016

Spoleto was a special place in Northampton. Great Italian food. Sophisticated bar staff and wine selections. Tonight bartender said she had never heard of Sancerre. Suggested Soave instead. Really? Also said no Bombay Gin when they were out of Sapphire. Which we did not order. The London Dry regular Bombay was what we asked for. Very different. They had it sitting right in front of us. Calamari used to be crispy and tender. Ours limp and soggy tonight. Sad.

Date of visit: May 2016