We usually stay up the road (Rte. 6A) in a cottage, but I’ve been tempted to try Top Mast many times because of their money-saving off-season specials. It seemed perfect to try it out on a recent vacation with my two (middle aged) sisters and their spouses, because it was right on the beach, and we could have our privacy yet be nearby. Top Mast staff assigned us to 3 adjacent one-room efficiencies on the 2nd floor, which worked out perfectly.
This family business has been around for a long time, and the owners staff the premises every day. They are accommodating and knowledgeable, and suggested excellent restaurants (and low priced specials) based upon our preferences and timing. Our reservations were extremely confusing, as one sister had cancelled one night and another sister had erroneously cut my stay short, and staff worked with us to get it all right. There was a problem with our room not being cleaned a couple of times (during 10 days), and management solved that creatively in both cases. One night there was an extremely loud party below us, and management came out and spoke with the offenders at my request, but they continued to be loud. Management gave us a choice of different rooms to move to the next day, and moved all of our luggage and belongings for us, as well as keeping my laptop safely in their office during the move.
You cannot beat this beach location. It’s within steps of the Bay, with BBQ area overlooking it. Second floor rooms have private decks where you can view the sunset over the water. Management let us know about their storeroom, filled with abandoned coolers, chairs, and BBQs (and even charcoal) that we were welcome to use (and did!) during our stay. There is a gorgeous large indoor pool across the street, along with a kiddie pool and spa (though the latter had a strong chlorine smell and was often crowded.) There is plenty of space for both adults and kids to swim, and even a water slide.
We stayed in two kinds of rooms. The first was in the newer buildings, an efficiency with two double beds. There was plenty of room, except that the bathroom and shower were quite small and darkish. And of course the beds are small by modern standards. There is a microwave, coffeemaker, stovetop, full size fridge, and small sink in the kitchenette.
The efficiency in the older building had one queen bed and a larger bathroom with bathtub and good lighting, but bedroom is proportionally smaller. The kitchen was equipped the same, but the refrigerator was quite old and loud, so we turned it off at night and used a cooler (so we could hear the waves!). Try to get a room away from the ice machine if you choose this kind of room; it’s also loud. Closet space is rather more rustic than in double bed rooms.
Our stay here was so enjoyable that next time my husband and I stay on the Outer Cape we’ll be staying at Top Mast instead of our usual cottage. Two thumbs up!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Top Mast Resort is nestled on 750 feet of private, groomed beach overlooking Cape Cod Bay and located only minutes from nearby towns of Provincetown and Wellfleet. Accommodations include; garden view units, beachfront units with or without kitchens, cottages and a new 3 bedroom beach house. Enjoy our indoor health complex complete with a large, heated pool, hot tub, steam room, sauna, weight room, kiddie pool and slide, kid smoothies, frozen drinks, beer, wine, snacks, soda and an outdoor sun deck area with an evening fire pit and outdoor tennis/basketball court area. Also located on site is our cafe which serves breakfast every day and dinner on Fridays, with seasonal outdoor patio dining by our large koi fish pond and water feature. Free WI-FI in various locations through out the property. Shuttle services to Provincetown. Family owned and operated for over 42 years! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia and Hotels.com so you can book your Top Mast Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Top Mast Hotel North Truro
- Top Mast North Truro
- Top Mast Resort North Truro, MA, North America