“Watch your back” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in North Adams
Brattleboro
“Watch your back”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2012

We have traveled and stayed here with friends for 3 years running, renting out the most expensive suites and another room every time, bringing lots of repeat business and probably dropping at least $2400.00 in the till over time. We always had fun, and behaved ourselves as reasonable, happy adults, and tipped housekeeping big ( I have cleaned hotel rooms for my living). The sauna and pool have always been highlights. This year however, changed my view forever. The staff have always been mildly aloof-which could be part of a perception of "modern cool" (hint-it is not), but even when we showed up twice within a month with different groups of friends, and the glimmer of recognition crossed a few faces, there was no matching "Nice to see you again" which they teach at most Hospitality 101 classes- OK, so that's fine- I live in Vermont; it is not an overly touchy feely culture here. Whatever.
Most disturbing and damaging however, was the series of unfortunate events that happened when $58 (see above for total rev spent at hotel last 3 yrs) was charged to our tab for misc Porches merchandise (Tshirts, coffee mugs...I have no idea because we did not buy them). Our bad: we signed for them and paid bill, believing our wacky friends just needed a souvenier of our stay. BUT, our fiends sort of snorted at the idea when we asked them to pay us back- that it was a silly idea to think they would spend their pay on such trifles...So, it seems charges were mistakenly applied to our room number for someone else's shopping. After this became clear to us the following week when we had caught up with our frugal friends, we politely and rationally brought this to the attention of the staff at the hotel. As expected, underlings could not help with such a matter, so eventually we we ended up talking, then shouting with a shrill manager who basically told us it was our tough luck- $58 lousy dollars. It was a very unexpected response, and it made me very angry and very sad. I WILL NEVER stay at this place again (goodbye sauna...outdoor heated pool in winter...sigh), and if you do, all I can say is: don't expect hospitality, read all the fine print, and watch your back.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank e T
mel k, Manager at The Porches Inn at MASS MoCA, responded to this review, 15 May 2012
Dear Guest,
It is very sad to read your feedback. Porches Inn guests stop by the front desk to confirm their charges with their signature on their folio on the day of their departure. On a very rare occasions, they do not stop by the desk and we charge their card on file(if there is a discrepancy, we are happy to address it immediately).
I believe your signed folio was emailed to you and when I asked if you were able to check your signed folio, our call was disconnected. I left you a voice message and did not hear from you back.
Please contact me at your convenience, I will be happy to discuss the charges that you are referring.
Porches Inn Management
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Narragansett, Rhode Island
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012

Have stayed 2 times here, once on business a number of years back and once in April 2012 for a relaxing stay with my wife. Both stays were quite good, the place is very clean and well kept up with just a few minor worn spots and those are nearly indistinguishable from the designed in "worn spots" of the Porches decor. Speaking of which, the design of the whole place is pretty cool, it captures the artsy/ mill town theme of North Adams feeling while providing all the modern conveniences you would expect.

The continental breakfast buffet and coffee are excellent , the fitness room is better than 90% of the ones you will find in most hotels and the outside pool was nice and warm even in April!

We will definitely be staying here again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bill G
Hartford
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

The room is very large compared to many we have stayed in for the same price. The only reason I don't give it 5 stars was that we could hear everything in the hallways from our room as if there were little insulation in the ceiling and walls to dull the noise. Given the prices of the rooms, I was surprised that the acoustics were not better. Otherwise, the room was clean, the bed was comfortable, and the bathrooom was also well maintained. The breads and croissants at breakfast appeared to be very fresh, unlike the standard fare you get at so many continental breakfasts that are included with a room stay. The location is great if you are going to Mass MoCA since it is right across the street.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gparch
Winchester, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

I love the Porches. I love their green yet comfort directed approach that applies to everything from comfy sheets, to tasty breakfasts, friendly staff, and locally distilled gin! The bathrooms are very cool, with great products; the bedrooms have lots of fluffy pillows. We drank our coffee in the morning sun on our own porch with our dog Bailey, the Boston terrier enjoying the view with us. I love wondering the hallways taking in all the great vintage plates and Americana memorabilia that hang on the walls. We have been to The Porches three times and cant wait to get back again!

Room Tip: Rooms with porches are very fun, but all rooms at the Porches have their own identities. I would as...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

This was my second stay at The Porches, and they get most things right. The decor is unique and artistic, and the rooms are clean, spacious and comfortable. The coffee is amazing, sent to the room in a thermos and lunch box, echoing the industrial history of the building. Thoughtful touches like fresh flowers, a welcome back note, bedside mints, a packet of herbal bath grains are little things that create an atmosphere of luxury and relaxation. The overnight stay was a gift from my husband to give me a night away from the noise and chaos of our home renovation.

So I was disappointed when I awoke at 7:30 in the morning to the sound of paint being scraped outside my windows, a compressor noisily going on and off, ladders clanking around the walls alongside my bed and workmen painting the outside of the room I occupied. The lovely spell the inn can create was broken. Why work was scheduled for a room occupied by a guest is a mystery to me.

Otherwise, it's a unique experience, and for a visit to Mass MoCA, it cannot be beat.

Room Tip: My advice if you are traveling in the near future: ask whether your room is scheduled for work/pain...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
21.0 km away
Vacation Village in the Berkshires
35.7 km away
Hampton Inn & Suites Berkshires-Lenox

Been to The Porches Inn at MASS MoCA? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK