I knew going in what Hotel Indigo is: it's IKEA boutique, which in theory is a good idea. Take the modernist design aesthetic/boutique hotel experience but don't buy all the expensive stuff, just get the knock-offs and keep the prices low. The problem is that this particular hotel doesn't do a very good job of implementing the strategy.
* The restaurant is quite good
* The fitness room is clean and well provisioned, if a bit small.
* The staff seemed quite nice.
* My card key didn't work 4 times when trying to get into my room, necessitating a trip to the front desk each time. Once I had to go down twice before finding one that worked.
* My room was microscopic. Really, really small.
* The hours for food service/room service are quite limited and for someone who works long days, it's a real disadvantage.
* Loud: I had to play music the whole time I was there to drown out the street noise from the freeway.
* Hot: Two nights I was there, the temperature never got below 80F, even though I had the thermostat @ 65.
* Bugs and uncleanliness (see below).
I stayed from Monday the 19th to the morning of the 23rd. While I was annoyed several days by fact that housekeeping woke me up prior to 8:00 by knocking on the door, I figured that was just a quirk. My view is that housekeeping shouldn't start until 9 when people's workdays start (and I live on the west coast so I try to go in close to 9 since my body is on PST). Anyway, Thursday morning, I made myself a couple of cups of coffee with the in-room coffee maker. Having no way to clean it up, I assumed that housekeeping would both wipe up some powered creamer I'd accidentally spilled a bit of and replenish the coffee and condiments. As you will see from the first photo, below, they did neither. They left the dirty coffee cup, the creamer, and remainder of the condiment wrapper, etc., on the table, and didn't leave me any coffee for this morning. As a highly-coffee dependent long-range traveler, I was really displeased by this.
Most disturbingly is the issue illustrated by the other photos. There were over 20 dead bugs that were left for 2 days on the desk and the lamp base. You can see them littered around, along with the coffee detritus. I know all of this was left because I left the hotel on Thursday prior to the housekeeping staff making up my room.
My firm has a corporate arrangement with both the Marriott and the Hotel Indigo. In the past, I've preferred Hotel Indigo, but this gives me real concern about the cleanliness, safety, and health-awareness of the staff and facilities..
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Escape the hectic pace of the city yet be close enough to easily visit at this contemporary boutique hotel adjacent to Boston train station and offering complimentary WiFi, 24 hour business center and state-of-the-art fitness center. Inside is the highly acclaimed BOKX 109 American Prime, a modern steakhouse for drinks and dinner and Phi Cafe featuring Starbuck's coffee, light breakfast and lunch fare. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Indigo Boston - Newton Riverside reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Indigo Newton
- Hotel Indigo Boston