“Bugs and Ballyhoo”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Newton
Long Beach, California, United States
“Bugs and Ballyhoo”
Reviewed 26 March 2012

I knew going in what Hotel Indigo is: it's IKEA boutique, which in theory is a good idea. Take the modernist design aesthetic/boutique hotel experience but don't buy all the expensive stuff, just get the knock-offs and keep the prices low. The problem is that this particular hotel doesn't do a very good job of implementing the strategy.

Pros:
* The restaurant is quite good
* The fitness room is clean and well provisioned, if a bit small.
* The staff seemed quite nice.
Cons:
* My card key didn't work 4 times when trying to get into my room, necessitating a trip to the front desk each time. Once I had to go down twice before finding one that worked.
* My room was microscopic. Really, really small.
* The hours for food service/room service are quite limited and for someone who works long days, it's a real disadvantage.
* Loud: I had to play music the whole time I was there to drown out the street noise from the freeway.
* Hot: Two nights I was there, the temperature never got below 80F, even though I had the thermostat @ 65.
* Bugs and uncleanliness (see below).

I stayed from Monday the 19th to the morning of the 23rd. While I was annoyed several days by fact that housekeeping woke me up prior to 8:00 by knocking on the door, I figured that was just a quirk. My view is that housekeeping shouldn't start until 9 when people's workdays start (and I live on the west coast so I try to go in close to 9 since my body is on PST). Anyway, Thursday morning, I made myself a couple of cups of coffee with the in-room coffee maker. Having no way to clean it up, I assumed that housekeeping would both wipe up some powered creamer I'd accidentally spilled a bit of and replenish the coffee and condiments. As you will see from the first photo, below, they did neither. They left the dirty coffee cup, the creamer, and remainder of the condiment wrapper, etc., on the table, and didn't leave me any coffee for this morning. As a highly-coffee dependent long-range traveler, I was really displeased by this.

Most disturbingly is the issue illustrated by the other photos. There were over 20 dead bugs that were left for 2 days on the desk and the lamp base. You can see them littered around, along with the coffee detritus. I know all of this was left because I left the hotel on Thursday prior to the housekeeping staff making up my room.

My firm has a corporate arrangement with both the Marriott and the Hotel Indigo. In the past, I've preferred Hotel Indigo, but this gives me real concern about the cleanliness, safety, and health-awareness of the staff and facilities..

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the Freeway.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank James M
GeneralManager21, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Boston - Newton Riverside, responded to this review, 2 April 2012
James M....

I would like to apologize about issue you had with the HVAC unit in you room during your stary from 3/19 - 3/23. I will certainly have our maintenance department check the unit to insure it is working properly. I appreciate your kind words about our friendly staff and I will share your comments with them. Regarding the insect sighting, I am disappointed that you did not report this issue while you were at the hotel. We could have started an investigation right away. As soon as you posted your review I had my Housekeeping team inspect the room. 3 guests had since stayed in the same room after your departure, and we recieved no complaints or reports. Our pest control company inspected the room on 3/30 and found no sightings and left a report as such. We have no had any prior issues so I am confused about your reporting. Thanks for staying.

Hotel Manager
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
NY
Reviewed 25 March 2012

I base all of my reviews on what I expect from that chain. I will not review a Motel 6 and base my expectations on a four-star hotel.

In one week, I made two separate stays at this Indigo Hotel. It was my second stay at an Indigo hotel. I hated my first stay (Indigo Hotel – Buffalo, NY). I won this hotel on Priceline and I dreaded the thought of staying at this hotel, but I learned very quickly that all Indigo hotels are not the same.

Parking: Yes, for a charge ($7.00) but free if you are a Holiday Inn Priority Club Member (yes, even if you are staying based on a win with Priceline)

Check-in: Fast & Easy. Very friendly, eager to explain the hotel to me.

Getting the type of room I request: Again, even with a Priceline reservation, I was given the exact room location I desired.

The Room: Nice! Small, (hey it’s a boutique hotel), but nice. Very New York City. Very clean, contemporary in feel. Comfortable bed, on the soft side. Wood floors, but clean wood floors (all I had to do was look at the bottom of my feet to know they were clean)

Plenty of light in the room, both natural when the shades were open and when closed with all of the lamps.

There is a wardrobe to serve as a closet with a safe that is large enough to hold a laptop computer.

Room Cleanliness: Very clean!

Temperature control: Worked well.

Outside sound: None from outside the hotel which is impressive as it is just off a major highway. Once in a while you heard someone talking as they walk down the hallway (typical in all hotels)

TV: Nice 32” High Def with nice amount of HD channels.

Work Space: Nice desk with office chair, phone, light, plugs, etc.

Internet: FREE High Speed

Restaurants: Yes, but I did not use it. There are numerous restaurant options within a few miles of this hotel, food is not an issue.

Gym: Not sure.

Elevators: Two and they are average speed

Very convenient location just off the highway. Easy to get too and right next to the subway.

Would I stay here again? YES! I came back a few days after my first stay. This time I tried to win the hotel with my bidding on Priceline.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
6 Thank TravelGuyNY64
GeneralManager21, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Boston - Newton Riverside, responded to this review, 27 March 2012
TravelGuyNY63...

Thanks for taking the time to write a reveiw and very much appreciate your honest assessment of you stay. Glad you like the contemporary design, hardwood floors, and boutique feel of the property. Yes, I agree, rooms are on the small side but I think the design of the room makes it very efficient. I will pass along your kind words to our staff and we hope to see you back again soon. Thanks for your business.

Wallingford, Connecticut
Reviewed 22 March 2012

Stayed here on Sunday March 11 for a one night stay. Always a breeze through check in and check out. Beds are so comfortable it is worth spending any amount to stay here for that reason alone! Short walk to the T.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
GeneralManager21, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Boston - Newton Riverside, responded to this review, 23 March 2012
Holly P..

Thanks for taking the time to review us. Glad you luv our beds! Simmons Deluxe Hotel Sleepers if you want to get one. Our location right next to the subway station into Boston is so...convenient, as you point out. and... a Charlie Card (subway ticket) round trip to Boston is only $4 bucks! Stops right at Fenway Paaaahk! too! Appreciate the review and hope to see you soon.

Bruce Leaver'
NH
Reviewed 18 March 2012

Excellent location and easy to fiind. Rooms clean and comfortable. Only irritation was a charge for overnight parking. Needs to be included with room rate. Also breakfast items are overpriced. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
GeneralManager21, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Boston - Newton Riverside, responded to this review, 19 March 2012
Pardee2....

Thanks for writing a reveiw! Very pleased you liked our location, cleanlinees of your room and the hotel. I will take a look at our breakfast pricing to insure we are competitive with the other hotels in the area. Hope you were in town to enjoy a traditional Boston St.Patty's Day weekend! Thanks for staying with us and appreciate the review.

United States
Reviewed 6 March 2012

Parking for hotel was self-parking although valet parking is also available. Some was covered, some was not covered, and it was affordable. Room was clean and comfortable, with 2 double beds. There was no breakfast buffet included in room costs, but there was a snack bar to get breakfast items if you don't want to use the restaurant. Location was conveniently close to I95 and the Mass. Turnpike, but far enough away to avoid road noise.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
GeneralManager21, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Boston - Newton Riverside, responded to this review, 8 March 2012
LMomNY...

Thanks for taking the time to review the Hotel Indigo Newton Riverside and we are pleased you enjoyed our convenient location to I-93, Mass Turnpike, and the MBTA subway station to get you into Boston easily. We do offer a Hot breakfast in the morning as well as a Grab n Go, starbukcs style cafe. We hope to see you back again soon. Thanks again for the review.

Hotel Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newton
6.1 km away
Crescent Suites Hotel
#7 of 11 in Waltham
7.0 km away
Embassy Suites by Hilton Boston / Waltham

Been to Hotel Indigo Boston - Newton Riverside? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK