“Big rooms, Bad service”

Crowne Plaza Boston-Newton Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Newton
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Rooms are huge and updated. No issues with the facility however the service was non-existent. From the "bellhop" who barely glanced our way as we pulled up. I asked if this is where we unload, he responded simply "sure" then walked away. I thought he was going to get a luggage cart but he disappeared from sight. We found our own luggage cart and unpacked the car. While I parked and checked in, my teenage daughters struggled to get the cart into the hotel and over towards the elevator. The bellhop told my daughter "bring that back down here when you're done."

Not a single employee greeted us when we came back into the hotel in the evening or headed out in the morning. It was like we were invisible from the bellhop, front desk and housekeeping. I said "good morning" to a member of housekeeping that was nearby our door as we were leaving for the day and she just looked at me then looked down at her cell phone.

If you're looking for a convenient location with lots of space but don't care about service, this place will suffice.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank flagirlatheart
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 12 April 2012

I stay here when visiting family in Newton. It is conveniently located. It is a very nice hotel. The people that complain about the noise, are not used to the Big City. I never even heard the noise. I just went to sleep in a comfortable bed. Peggy D.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Although the rooms were nicely appointed, beds comfortable, it did not make up for the lack of sleep my family received due to the excessive traffic noises and frequent train rumblings accompanied by vibrations in our room. Why would anyone build a hotel OVER an 8 lane highway and train track. Was not worth the $212 (including taxes) with additional $21 paid for parking for one night stay.

Room Tip: Have no idea, perhaps ask staff if there are quieter rooms available?
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank jennifer w
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Boston-Newton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2012

jennifer w,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. It is unfortunate the noise levels of the area around the hotel affected your stay negatively. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Ben J
IHG Care

Reviewed 11 April 2012

A co-worker and I stayed at this property for a week while we conducting workshops here. Fed Ex messed up twice on delivering my packages and Ersaila, Rob, and Greg all worked tirelessly to get my packages for my workshop. They went WAY above and beyond because it wasn't their fault or their problem but they took it on like it was! Both of our rooms were spacious, clean and up to date. Mine overlooked the highway but the noise wasn't bad at all, even rush hour. (They had the Crowne Plaza Sleep bag that comes with ear plugs but I never needed it.) The food is good but you have to hang out in the restaurant when Mary is working, she's GREAT! She's like everyone's mom, always happy and wanting to make sure you get enough to eat...we had a ball with her! Mario and Julio in the banquet department were wonderful, happy guys and always ready to help if I needed something. We really enjoyed our time here!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 April 2012

This hotel deserves a great Review. Its a 4 star hotel without question. From The Reception staff to the Maintenance to Housekeeping, they all deserve an award. The bus service outside is straight to downtown & some great shops & restaurants near by. I stayed for 7 nights and received a great rate. My room was spacious & clean & was cleaned to a great standard each day. I had a wide screen TV with enough to watch day & night. The bathroom was spacious & as I was on the 6th floor I heard the traffic but I got use to it & I am from country living so that surprised me. I travel allot for work & downtime & know Boston very well as I use to live there, this is the best hotel around. The only negative is parking as it's a little expensive when you can get Downtown parking for $16 a day. Other than that I have no hesitation with this hotel!

Room Tip: If like me you have back problems I found the pillows were too soft, some people love this but if yo...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newton
Sheraton Needham Hotel
#2 of 2 in Needham
Allston / Brighton
Hotel Boston
Hotel Boston
#76 of 84 in Boston
Crescent Suites Hotel
#2 of 11 in Waltham

Been to Crowne Plaza Boston-Newton Hotel? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK