Essex Street Inn & Suites
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
Market Street Inn(Newburyport)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsthe main streetcontinental breakfastgreat locationgas fireplacejacuzzi tubstandard roombagelskeurig machinerestaurants and shopsrewards programin townfull kitchenoff street parkingrooms are clean and comfortablepark your carair conditionercan't beat the location
Reviewed 31 July 2017

Location is great and staff are friendly, but this is a minimal B&B. Rooms need updating (especially carpets and bathrooms). A/C keeps things cool, but the room was very damp. Breakfast is a help-yourself variety, with not many options. Pricey for what you get.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Lori G, Manager at Essex Street Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2017

Thank you for taking time to write a review of the Inn. We are most sorry that you were disappointed with your room. We are continually working to upgrade one thing or another and have replaced nearly half the carpeting this year, but, it takes time to get through all our projects, which are ongoing.

Reviewed 31 July 2017 via mobile

My husband and I stayed two nights in this Inn . The building is beautiful and is in a beautiful area in Newburyport, however we were very disappointed with our room.
The sink would not drain properly.
The TV worked only sporadically
Bathroom floor was grubby .
The rail for your clothes was actually in the bathroom !!
On the second day the towels were replaced, but the bedroom wasn't made up at all.
All in all a very disappointing booking from our point of view and expensive for what we got !
Mary Kelly

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mary K

Dear Mary, Thank you for taking time to write a review and pointing out the Inn's fantastic location in downtown Newburyport. We are most sorry that you were disappointed with your room. We are continually working and upgrade one thing or another but, because we are so busy, it takes time to get through all our projects. I do hope you let the front desk staff know of your issues with your TV and housekeeping. Those are items we certainly always want to take care of right away!

Reviewed 29 June 2017 via mobile

Victorian...decor...clean ..beautifully decorated..comfortable..very friendly service...definitely will stay again...we stayed on the 3rd floor...id like to stay in a larger room if i am with a friend ..but the third floor was great too.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Lori G, General Manager at Essex Street Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2017

Thank you for your review, KLS. We're so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Indeed, we have a wide variety of room types and sizes to choose from so do hope you'll stay with us again ... with a friend!

Reviewed 29 June 2017 via mobile

Pros
This hotel location can't be beat
Nice to have parking in a busy town
Cons
There are no elevators so we had to climb up a flight of stairs
There wasn't anyone to help with our luggage. We are an older couple and it was a hardship to get our bags up to our room
There were several bugs in the hot tub
The tiny shower was a disappointment given we paid $250 for the room
Very underwhelmed

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear Terri, I am terribly sorry that our staff did not offer to assist you with bags. It is our policy to do so. We do try to be as forthcoming as possible in letting our guests know that we do not have elevators in our historic buildings. Should you choose to stay with us again, please call the Inn to make your reservation so that we can assist you in selecting just the right room for your needs ... no two are alike at Essex Street Inn!

Reviewed 20 June 2017

I stayed at Essex Street Inn on Father's Day weekend for a wedding I was attending. I found the inn to be very good. Location was excellent, accommodations good and customer service exceptional. A 1/2 star minus being that if the door of the bathroom was left open a little by someone inside, it was impossible to enter the room. I doubt this is a concern for every room however. Another 1/2 star minus because there were only 2 bath towels supplied to a room that housed 4. Getting additional ones wasn't a problem, but it would have been nice not to have to ask.
A thing I really enjoyed was that coffee was available all day, provided by a Keurig machine. I also liked that there was also a bowl with fruit and some other things which could be grabbed if you were up earlier than the continental breakfast time.
I have to give a special shout out to desk employee Kathy. She was so sweet and funny. I was waiting for my friends and she took the time to ask how my stay was there, if I was enjoying Newburyport and gave me more info about the area, among other things. I would stay here again :)

Room Tip: Room 206-small bathroom w/standing shower only. Not enough room to hang all clothes if sharing room with 3 others. 2 people would be fine.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
Lori G, Manager at Essex Street Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2017

Thank you for your review, Gunther B,

We're glad you enjoyed your trip to Newburyport and your stay at Essex Street Inn. I'm going to guess that your room was in our main building which was built in the 1800s and retains much of its old quirky charm...though, in a room or two, that can mean slightly awkward configurations like you found in your room. While our default is to have two sets of towels in a room, we do try to supply sufficient towels when we are aware that more than two people will share the room. I apologize for the inconvenience. We hope you'll visit Newburyport again soon. Kathy loves it when her favorite guests return to the Inn!