All reviews made to order breakfast exposed brick corner room complimentary breakfast my husband and i tea service within walking distance grand park historic building cookies new england downtown newburyport room was large caviar free parking a wonderful stay modern amenities
Reviewed 23 May 2017

I've written a review before, but following my most recent trip, I still felt I should write one, again. I was only scheduled to visit Newburyport for three days, and I was happy as ever to once again book at stay for 5/8-5/10, 2017 at the Garrison! As the title says, its the only place I will stay in MA, and its true! I had wanted to take a trip to Stockbridge, which is a 3 hour drive from Newburyport, but it was worth it- always is!

I did arrive a little early for check-in, but the hotel manager, Jennifer, allowed me to head to my room since it was done (which they always do when accommodating guests). Once in my room, I collapsed to take a nap, as my flight was very early, and they have the best bedding, and bed sheets possible, so it was a very enjoyable nap, and I stayed there the rest of the day.

On Tuesday, I awoke early, eager to get downstairs for the free gourmet breakfast- which is the best perk of all when staying there. Some may say that the Garrison being dog-friendly, or having free parking, to the tea time with chocolate and champagne is the service that is the best perk. And while those are phenomenal, as well, the breakfast (the FREE breakfast) is something not to be missed. They serve caviar on some dishes as a garnish! How can it get any better than that!

From my stay last summer, the hotel got a bit of a makeover, with new desk furniture it seemed, and more decor to represent the history of the hotel. If you are in the greater Boston area, this is a not to be missed place- you won't regret it at all. The only problem you may have is you won't want to go do anything, but stay in the cozy room!

I'm already looking forward to my next trip. But be sure to book your next stay at the Garrison, I've been to a lot of hotels and inns, and this by far exceeds my expectations, and I feel like I'm treated like a Queen!

Room Tip: Corner suites are great!. The penthouse on the 4th floor is great if you have a family. But any room is great!
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo
Marty978, Guest Relations Manager at Garrison Inn Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2017

Thank you so much for your kind words about our hotel. We're so pleased that the breakfast, service and our cozy rooms all helped to give you a pleasant stay at the Garrison Inn. I will pass along all of these wonderful comments to the owner and staff as well, as they will be over the moon too! We very much appreciate you recommending our hotel for those traveling to Newburyport. We look forward to your next stay with us!

Reviewed 23 May 2017

We have wanted to stay here since attending a reception years ago, and finally did so with a three day stay (5/19 to 5/22/2017). We love history & have enjoyed staying in many quaint historic hotels over the years. There is nothing "quaint" about the Garrison--it has all the ambiance of a historic building, but is very up-to-date & well-maintained. Everything looks recently refurbished (except the antiques and historic decor) but in keeping with the historic building. Service is 5-star! No wonder they have so many awards proudly displayed in the hallway. Most important is the comfort & cleanness of the rooms--and these were first rate. We were warmly greeted by Martin during our late Friday night check-in & immediately felt assured that the staff was very interested in our needs & very accommodating. We travel with a small dog, which was welcome, with the only restriction being that the dog understandably could not go to the dining room with us. She was allowed to be with us while we had breakfast & afternoon/evening teas in the front sitting room, where we were very comfortable. Dog owners should also know that both the Brown Square park area in front of the hotel and the surrounding blocks are very good for dog walks. Breakfast was exquisite, I think the best we have ever had at a hotel, with a great attention to detail, well-prepared & served. Fussy tea drinkers, we found the teas to be top-shelf quality (Harney & Sons) with an extensive selection--a small detail, but consistent with the overall approach to detail & customer satisfaction. Read the other 5-star reviews here. The raves are all deserved and we are already planning our next visit to the Garrison. --Michael & Mary Grenier

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family

Thank you for this review. We really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience here and I am very please you took advantage of all the complimentary extras here at the Garrison, especially the afternoon tea and our breakfast.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Garrison Inn again (and your adorable dog)!

Reviewed 17 May 2017 via mobile

Had a wonderful stay at the Garrison Inn this Mother's Day.. I suprised my mom with an overnight mini getaway to Newburyport and upon my surprise the inn was running a special for the night any room for $120. What a deal so I booked the Penthouse Suite. What a beautiful hotel and accommodating staff. Martin was a great help with booking the room and checking out. Jenny was so sweet. She offered to watch our dog while we went to dinner across the street. What a great gesture and so personable. The room was very comfortable with a working fireplace and tall ceilings. I like that the inn has some modern accents but still has original touches too.. Tea time was a great afternoon treat while sitting in the gorgeous lounge. Breakfast was also very good.. will definately be returning to this unique inn!

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Sabrina S
Marty978, Guest Relations Manager at Garrison Inn Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2017

Thank you so much for you wonderful review of our property! I am so happy that you were able to take advantage of our Mother's Day Special and that you both (and Einstein!) had a great time with us. We hope to see you again the next time you have a getaway in Newburyport!

Reviewed 14 May 2017

Came for a weekend in January to visit friends. Lovely hotel. The staff is very warm and welcoming. We had a lovely corner room on the square, our only issue is that the square lights are on all night and light up the room. Would be happy to stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
Marty978, Guest Relations Manager at Garrison Inn Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2017

Thank you so much for your 5 star review! We are so happy you had a lovely time with us and you would return to stay with us again, that is great news. I am sorry to hear that there was an issue with the square lights interrupting your sleep. The shutters are usually enough to keep the light out of the rooms, I will make sure they are checked to see if we can prevent this from happening again. Please keep us in mind the next time you are in the area.

Reviewed 4 May 2017

My husband & I stayed one night at the Garrison Hotel last week. The staff was highly efficient & welcoming - & when the toilet malfunctioned we were immediately whisked to another room. The rooms were lovely & exceeded my cleanliness standards. Breakfast was scrumptious, & we deeply appreciated learning about William Lloyd Garrison & his leadership at an important moment in our shared American history. We would stay here again!

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
Marty978, Guest Relations Manager at Garrison Inn Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2017

Thank you for choosing The Garrison Inn and thank you so much for your review!

We are glad that you enjoyed the hotel and our rich history here. Also, your kind words regarding the staff, our breakfast, and our rooms are much appreciated.

We all look forward to your next visit here!