All reviews made to order breakfast exposed brick corner room complimentary breakfast my husband and i tea service within walking distance grand park historic building cookies new england downtown newburyport room was large caviar free parking a wonderful stay modern amenities
Reviewed 23 May 2017

We have wanted to stay here since attending a reception years ago, and finally did so with a three day stay (5/19 to 5/22/2017). We love history & have enjoyed staying in many quaint historic hotels over the years. There is nothing "quaint" about the Garrison--it has all the ambiance of a historic building, but is very up-to-date & well-maintained. Everything looks recently refurbished (except the antiques and historic decor) but in keeping with the historic building. Service is 5-star! No wonder they have so many awards proudly displayed in the hallway. Most important is the comfort & cleanness of the rooms--and these were first rate. We were warmly greeted by Martin during our late Friday night check-in & immediately felt assured that the staff was very interested in our needs & very accommodating. We travel with a small dog, which was welcome, with the only restriction being that the dog understandably could not go to the dining room with us. She was allowed to be with us while we had breakfast & afternoon/evening teas in the front sitting room, where we were very comfortable. Dog owners should also know that both the Brown Square park area in front of the hotel and the surrounding blocks are very good for dog walks. Breakfast was exquisite, I think the best we have ever had at a hotel, with a great attention to detail, well-prepared & served. Fussy tea drinkers, we found the teas to be top-shelf quality (Harney & Sons) with an extensive selection--a small detail, but consistent with the overall approach to detail & customer satisfaction. Read the other 5-star reviews here. The raves are all deserved and we are already planning our next visit to the Garrison. --Michael & Mary Grenier

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
Marty978, Guest Relations Manager at Garrison Inn Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2017

Thank you for this review. We really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience here and I am very please you took advantage of all the complimentary extras here at the Garrison, especially the afternoon tea and our breakfast.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Garrison Inn again (and your adorable dog)!

Reviewed 17 May 2017 via mobile

Had a wonderful stay at the Garrison Inn this Mother's Day.. I suprised my mom with an overnight mini getaway to Newburyport and upon my surprise the inn was running a special for the night any room for $120. What a deal so I booked the Penthouse Suite. What a beautiful hotel and accommodating staff. Martin was a great help with booking the room and checking out. Jenny was so sweet. She offered to watch our dog while we went to dinner across the street. What a great gesture and so personable. The room was very comfortable with a working fireplace and tall ceilings. I like that the inn has some modern accents but still has original touches too.. Tea time was a great afternoon treat while sitting in the gorgeous lounge. Breakfast was also very good.. will definately be returning to this unique inn!

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Sabrina S
Marty978, Guest Relations Manager at Garrison Inn Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2017

Thank you so much for you wonderful review of our property! I am so happy that you were able to take advantage of our Mother's Day Special and that you both (and Einstein!) had a great time with us. We hope to see you again the next time you have a getaway in Newburyport!

Reviewed 14 May 2017

Came for a weekend in January to visit friends. Lovely hotel. The staff is very warm and welcoming. We had a lovely corner room on the square, our only issue is that the square lights are on all night and light up the room. Would be happy to stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
Marty978, Guest Relations Manager at Garrison Inn Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2017

Thank you so much for your 5 star review! We are so happy you had a lovely time with us and you would return to stay with us again, that is great news. I am sorry to hear that there was an issue with the square lights interrupting your sleep. The shutters are usually enough to keep the light out of the rooms, I will make sure they are checked to see if we can prevent this from happening again. Please keep us in mind the next time you are in the area.

Reviewed 4 May 2017

My husband & I stayed one night at the Garrison Hotel last week. The staff was highly efficient & welcoming - & when the toilet malfunctioned we were immediately whisked to another room. The rooms were lovely & exceeded my cleanliness standards. Breakfast was scrumptious, & we deeply appreciated learning about William Lloyd Garrison & his leadership at an important moment in our shared American history. We would stay here again!

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
Marty978, Guest Relations Manager at Garrison Inn Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2017

Thank you for choosing The Garrison Inn and thank you so much for your review!

We are glad that you enjoyed the hotel and our rich history here. Also, your kind words regarding the staff, our breakfast, and our rooms are much appreciated.

We all look forward to your next visit here!

Reviewed 23 February 2017 via mobile

This is now my 2nd stay. The hotel has a very special ambience. A nice mix of old history combined with modern design. The room was big and clean. The hotel I guess is lead by the family which gives it a personal touch. The breakfast was good. Only small negative thing I can say, the shower has to be fixed since the water is splashing everywhere around.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled on business
Marty978, Guest Relations Manager at Garrison Inn Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2017

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor, it helps us so much to hear back from guests. I am so happy you enjoyed the character of the hotel, being such an old building we try hard to retain its, as you said, its special ambiance. I do want to apologise to you for the issues you had with the shower. We know that some of the rooms do have dated fixtures and we are working hard to upgrade them. They are in the process of working on them this month and the older bathrooms should be more in keeping with the modern fixtures. I hope it didn't affect your stay too much. Please keep us in mind for your next visit to Newburyport!