“Perfect in every way”

Garrison Inn Boutique Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Newburyport
Reviewed 22 February 2017

Form the moment we arrived I knew it was going to be an amazing stay. Having never been here before, nor in Newburyport, we weren't sure what t expect.

We loved the location, the décor, the friendliness of the staff, the attention to detail. The room was clean and furnishings were understatedly elegant - loved the exposed brick and vintage shutters.

The "made to order" complimentary breakfast was a pleasant surprise! We were greeted warmly and made to feel at home at every point during our stay. The location made it particularly appealing as we walked the entire weekend, never having to get in the car.

I cannot wait to stay here again and recommend it to everyone I know.

Room Tip: Only about 6-8 rooms per floor so no noise. Only 3 floors total, so any room is convenient to both s...
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
Marty978, Guest Relations Manager at Garrison Inn Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2017

First off I would like to just thank you for your stellar review of our property and your stay here. We pride ourselves on taking care of our guests and providing them with a comfortable and trouble free stay with us here, so getting such a wonderful review lets us know that we are on the right track. Thank you for staying with us, and taking advantage of all the lovely extras we have to offer her, from the decor to the breakfast. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Garrison Inn!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 17 January 2017

My daughter and I stayed at the Garrison Inn as part of her graduation trip, and it was absolutely wonderful! The hotel was perfectly located, and we walked all over the town: antique shops downtown, historical churches, boat rides on the Merrimac, coffee shops and great restaurants. You can just *feel* the history of the hotel, and we had a room overlooking the square and the statue of William Lloyd Garrison. The staff was very warm and friendly.
Our favorite part of the stay was the afternoon and evening tea. Every day, they set up tea and desserts in the lobby, and we would visit in front of the fireplace. Sometimes we would take our tea out to the square and sit there.
The complimentary breakfast was amazing as well, so much better than most hotel breakfasts! It was made to order, and you can choose from several different options. Our favorite was the apple, bacon, cheddar and honey breakfast sandwich. Yum! Tea, coffee, and several types of juice were also included.
Our room was large, clean, and cozy. It was so nice to come back from a day of sightseeing, and have our beds made (with my daughter's childhood stuffed dog on the pillow!) and soft classical music playing on the TV.
We really wouldn't change a thing about our stay, and are looking forward to coming back soon.
Thank you, Garrison Inn!

Stayed: September 2016
Marty978, Guest Relations Manager at Garrison Inn Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2017

First of all, thank you for this review. We really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience here and I am very please to see that you had a comfortable stay and enjoyed the area so much. It has a lot of charm and I am so please you too advantage of it while you were staying with us! It is also wonderful that you too advantage of all the complimentary extra here at the Garrison, especially the afternoon tea and out breakfast. (apple, bacon, cheddar and honey breakfast sandwich is one of my favorites too!)

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Garrison Inn again!

Reviewed 6 December 2016

On our trips to Newburyport we always now stay at The Garrison Inn, as we consider it our home away from home. First off it's in a great central location, which we like, as we can walk to all the main shops and restaurants nearby. The staff, simply put, is wonderful, and they all define the word hospitable, as they all go out of their way to make sure our stay is as comfortable as possible. We have our favourite room, but each and every other room in which we have stayed in, has had it's own original distinctive charm, and they are all cozy and inviting especially after a long trip. We always look forward to the delicious and sumptuous breakfasts too, which are prepared exactly to our tastes. And to top it off, The Garrison Inn is pet friendly so we always bring our black lab with us, and he is welcomed with opened arms! (PS - Great places to walk your dog nearby as well) All in all, we highly recommend The Garrison Inn!!

Room Tip: Some rooms have a working fireplace! Ask the staff about it and they'll fix it up for you!
  • Stayed: May 2016, travelled with family
Marty978, Guest Relations Manager at Garrison Inn Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 December 2016

We are always glad to have you back with us, and are so happy to see that you will be joining us again this year! (I know everyone here cannot wait to see Guinness again!) Your kind words have been shared with the whole staff and we want to let you know how much we appreciate you taking the time to give us a wonderful review here on TripAdvisor.

We all are looking forward to your next visit here! Please do let us know if there is anything we can do for you here in the meantime!

Reviewed 30 November 2016

I stayed at Garrison Inn around thanksgiving 2016. Good points include 1)the location, downtown near all the shops and restaurants, 2)there's an elevator, so you don't have to drag bags upstairs like at some B&B's, 3)the room had some character, but was also clean with some updated/modern features like modern tv and bed and wifi, although I wouldn't say the room was fancy, 4)the staff was really friendly, 5) the breakfast is amazing; they have a great menu but will make anything, so you don't need to stick to the menu, 6) there's always someone at the front desk.
Minor negatives included 1)no tv channel list, 2) no central air; there's an a.c./heater at the window that you can adjust the temperature on. It makes some noise, but you can shut it off. 3) they have scented soap but not regular.
Overall, I'd stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled with family
Marty978, Guest Relations Manager at Garrison Inn Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2016

First of all, I would like to say we appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences at the Garrison Inn.

Also, thank you for your compliments regarding our breakfast, and the hotel in general. We are sorry that there were some draw backs to your stay, I will pass this review along to the owner to see if we can make some changes in those areas.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future!

Reviewed 16 November 2016

This is the 2nd year I have stayed at the Garrison Inn, I was there from Oct. 2 through Oct. 7, I wouldn't stay anywhere else when visiting Newburyport, The staff is professional but friendly. Jennifer,Chris & Martin at the front desk couldn't be nicer & do their best to ensure you have an enjoyable stay. Stu makes the best breakfast out of that tiny kitchen, it's amazing. I always enjoy my time there & I look forward to staying there again next year.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled solo
Marty978, Guest Relations Manager at Garrison Inn Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2016

I would just like to say thank you so much for your review, I am so glad to read that you enjoyed your return visit with us. I would also like to thank you for the mentioned the front desk staff and our chef, Stu. I will pass this review along to all of them and I know that they will be just as thrilled as I am. This is a really big compliment for us and the hotel.

We look forward to your return next year!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newburyport
0.4 km away
28.2 km away
Beauport Hotel Gloucester
Beauport Hotel Gloucester
#3 of 7 in Gloucester

Been to Garrison Inn Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK