“Another Great Stay @ Garrison Inn”

Garrison Inn Boutique Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Newburyport
Reviewed 16 November 2016

This is the 2nd year I have stayed at the Garrison Inn, I was there from Oct. 2 through Oct. 7, I wouldn't stay anywhere else when visiting Newburyport, The staff is professional but friendly. Jennifer,Chris & Martin at the front desk couldn't be nicer & do their best to ensure you have an enjoyable stay. Stu makes the best breakfast out of that tiny kitchen, it's amazing. I always enjoy my time there & I look forward to staying there again next year.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled solo
Marty978, Guest Relations Manager at Garrison Inn Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2016

I would just like to say thank you so much for your review, I am so glad to read that you enjoyed your return visit with us. I would also like to thank you for the mentioned the front desk staff and our chef, Stu. I will pass this review along to all of them and I know that they will be just as thrilled as I am. This is a really big compliment for us and the hotel.

We look forward to your return next year!

Reviewed 13 November 2016

I loved absolutely everything about this hotel. It is old and charming yet fully updated and elegant. We had a corner king suite and it was huge and full of light, on the third floor with a view of a classic New England church across the street. Loved the interior shutters on the windows, and actual antique furniture in the room (18th-century style) as well as beautiful wall art. Bvlgari toiletries, exposed brick accents, comfy bed, afternoon tea service with chocolates and cookies.
The included main menu portions of the breakfast are not huge (for example, you get one egg not two for any of the Benedicts), but you can round them out with sides, bagels, really good coffee cake etc. The reception room downstairs is gorgeous with crystal chandeliers and antique buffets stuffed with silver teapots and old English teacups. You can buy a teacup as a souvenir; $25 each.
If you want to splurge, the "Parisian apartment" is gorgeous.
I was with a wedding party and noticed that most of the bathrooms in the rooms had been updated to large tiled showers--the one in my room had not yet and definitely looked dated with an old plastic tub-shower combo, but that is a minor detail.

Room Tip: Corner rooms get more light but all the rooms, even studios, were gorgeous. Higher floors have bette...
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled with family
Marty978, Guest Relations Manager at Garrison Inn Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2016

Thank you for your review of your stay with us here at the Garrison Inn. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the decor, character, and the great views from our hotel. I am also very happy that you enjoyed the complimentary extras we provide our guest.

Please know that reviews like this that so eloquently describe a guest's experience here at the hotel let us know that we are on the right track and are much appreciated.

We hope that next time you find yourself in Newburyport you will stay with us again!

Reviewed 11 November 2016

I previously wrote a Review for this property; however, I am re-writing it.

I arrived at Newburyport late in the afternoon, after spending about eight hours traveling there; when I arrived, I realized I did not have a cell phone with me and therefore would not know the time. The woman at the desk presented herself in a cold hostile manner; and told me I would have to buy a clock, which I did, after running all over town looking for one.

The atmosphere of the hotel was cold and unpleasant, and I think looking back it was due to the woman who works the 4 pm shift, or it could be 3 pm. I noticed in the morning the atmosphere was pleasant, when another person worked there. Clearly, there is something off and nasty about this woman. She appeared hostile.

The following day I went for tea at about 4 pm....which was nicely set up with chocolates and small cookies; but eeeks there was rock music blasting. I asked the woman to change the channel or turn it down and she refused, and said that other guests like it. This is doubtful because the only two other guests of the Hotel were two elderly ladies. So, she refused. I went to their computer and told my daughter what was happening, and she wrote a review on Facebook, but it was immediately deleted. The woman at the desk then said to me that she doesn't think I should stay at the Hotel; it is not a good match, and I have 30 minutes to pack and leave. I went to another Hotel to see if they had availability and hurried back fearful I would find my belongings on the street. When I got there a Newburyport police officer was there, and he looked ashamed. She repeated I had 30 minutes to leave! I quickly packed and went to the other Hotel; when I told them what happened they were shocked and in awe.

This is not the end of the story....and this can be verified by the Newburyport Police Department and the other hotel, I think the Essex Suites; at about 11 pm when I was asleep someone rang my room, and said something nasty into the phone; I was sleeping and asked her to repeat herself; and she hang up. It was the woman from the Garrison Hotel; it had to be because I know no one in Newburyport, and she asked for me by name. I spoke to the switchboard operator who said she would not put any other calls through, and I was frightened.

This hotel is a nightmare; and they should be sued for harassment.

Everything I wrote can be confirmed by the Newburyport Police Department and the Essex Suites, and please feel free to contact them.

Room Tip: The rooms facing Brown Square.
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled solo
4  Thank nywildlife
Reviewed 26 October 2016

We stayed at the Garrison back in August for four wonderful nights! Although i am just getting around to reviewing our stay, the memories of this vacation are still very vivid.
All the reviews are accurate in their descriptions of the rooms...we were on the 3rd floor overlooking the square with a view of the church steeple .... brick wall with a not working fireplace added to the ambiance. The daily service was impeccable and we always arrived back to our room at the end of each outing...with the tv music channel turned on....very pleasant. And yes, kudos to the included breakfast experience!
I will say that the "entrance" to the hotel is less than impressive...i felt like we were walking in a back door and was apprehensive at first....maybe thats what keeps it so historic...but once inside the lobby, all was perfect.
The hotel and the town are an absolute perfect location for a vacation that encompasses the North Shore. We spent each day traveling 30 minutes away....Ogunquit, Maine...Rockport/Gloucester...and a train ride to Boston... we loved coming back to "our Inn" at the end of each day instead of constantly switching hotels.
Our last day was left to spend in their town of Newburyport....walked to our Whale Watch excursion (fantastic!) and walked to Mission Oak Grill for dinner....the town is amazing...all bricked with many interesting shops and many attractive restaurants...
Every evening we ended our days with freshening back up at "our Inn" and then walking the streets and enjoying one of their fresh seafood dinners around town....
As far as vacations are concerned we have traveled many places in the U.S. And yet here was the jewel of a nugget only a day away from our home...

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
Marty978, Guest Relations Manager at Garrison Inn Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2016

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay with us at the Garrison Inn! We greatly appreciate guest’s feedback, and I would like to thank you for highlighting so many positive of the hotel and your stay with us. We understand that given the nature of a historic building it can cause some challenges, the entrance indeed being one, just recently we did give the front of the hotel a lick of paint to keep it looking fresh and inviting.

We are so happy you enjoyed your stay and your holiday in general, we hope to be welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed 25 October 2016

My husband and I traveled to Newburyport from the Boston airport. We took the subway to the Boston North Station, then took an enjoyable ride on the commuter rail to Newburyport. From the station, it was a very pleasant and easy walk on the Clipper City Rail Trail (dotted with sculptures and privately tended garden spots) to the hotel. The hotel itself is small and has a cozy feel to it. The building has an interesting history, and the dining room has framed articles and memorabilia that allows guests to learn a bit about its history. We were in the basic Queen studio, which had a comfortable bed and nice exposed brick. If you want a room with a sumptuous, spa-like bathroom, this is not the room for you. The bathroom is cute, but basic. It did have ample hot water, a hairdryer and a nice assortment of shampoos and lotions. The makeup table and mirror in the bedroom made up for the lack of space in the bathroom. The best part of the stay, in my opinion, was the fabulous made-to-order breakfast. The menu was extensive, but our chef informed us that we needn't stick to the menu; he'd make us whatever we wanted. Also, I sampled the coffee cake while waiting for my breakfast....delicious! Adding to the charm was the tea service (great assortment of high quality teas) that was available, served with china tea cups and silver. The location could not have been better, as everything in Newburyport, including shopping, dining and the waterfront were in easy walking distance. The town itself is adorable, and the residents are quite friendly. We enjoyed a meal at the Mission Oak Grill, a restaurant in a converted old church just behind the hotel. The hotel staff was friendly and helpful, and we had a lovely stay.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your recent review about your stay! We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed the tea service, the location, and the breakfast at the hotel.

We hope that you will stay with us again the next time you visit Newburyport!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newburyport
0.4 km away
27 km away
Rockport Inn and Suites
Rockport Inn and Suites
#3 of 6 in Rockport

Been to Garrison Inn Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK