All reviews fried clams ocean view new england next morning balcony fairview fireplace wake
Reviewed 9 November 2017

My friend and I enjoyed dinner last Friday night at 7pm. The place was not crowded, which was a concern to us. No worries! The food was delicious and the service was great. I ordered the Grilled Salmon, which was AMAZING! The Forbidden Rice and Mango Salsa that came with the salmon was so very tasty. My friend thoroughly enjoyed the Haddock Francaise with vegetable risotto. The prices were reasonable ($18 and $20) and the portion sizes were ample. Our only negative was with the size of the Roasted Golden Beet Salad. Although very tasty, it was not enough to split, and a little bit to pricey for the size, and there were not a lot of beets in it. We were unable to enjoy the desserts, as we were too full from our meals. We plan on returning.

Date of stay: November 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank dcjclckc
Reviewed 14 October 2017

i was interested in trying the Fairview Restaurant as it is under new management and I've always liked the atmosphere and location. Upon arriving on a Friday night at 7pm, which most would agree is "prime time" in this area for dining, there was only one other party in the restaurant and a handful of people in the bar. My first thought was "uh oh". My husband ordered a dry martini with Beefeaters gin and I ordered a glass of Merlot. The waitress returned and asked my husband if he wanted a gin or vodka martini and he repeated his order. She then informed me that they do not have Merlot by the glass and did I mean Malbec. Again, uh oh. The drinks arrived. The wine was good; the martini terrible, without even a garnish! Our companion ordered the clam chowder. It was watery, but he said the flavor was good, although he did question if it was homemade. We placed our orders and after 20 minutes I had to find someone (our waitress was nowhere to be found) to ask for bread. We waited about 45 minutes for our dinners and as I've mentioned, it was not a busy night. My husband and I ordered the sirloin steak which was cooked to order. The roasted potatoes were too salty. My friend was happy with the haddock. The other order was fish and chips. The fish was soggy and inedible. The waitress never came back to check to see if everything was okay. When she did come back with the check she looked at the uneaten meal and simply asked if he wanted to take it home. The worst dining experience I have ever had. Never going back.

Date of stay: October 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank Murdockpond
Reviewed 30 September 2017

Lunch at the Fairview has been an annual event for me and I was saddened to learn last year of the operation closing - especially the good ambassador family that had run the institition for such a noteworthy time. So this year was happy to learn satisfactory arrangements had been worked out with the property owner(s) and a re-opening of the restaurant had occurred.

Lunch: Two senior adults & one less so for 1:30 pm lunch on a Tuesday.

Food: Good - lobster roll, the haddock and a burger. Menu is not challenging nor does it need to be.

Service: Average. Dress of wait staff could be smarter (jeans, rather sloppy) and follow-up attention was non existent until we had to motion for the waitress.

Recommendation: Menu needs at least three (3) fish selections to the current one (1) haddock - which is good albeit plain. The baked haddock would be better served in its own dish and broiled with bread crumbs rather than served over the puy lentils which make for a wet affair. Wait staff to be more attentive to the dining room and therein especially when some patrons could use a little extra assistance getting to & from the entrance to the tables.

Date of stay: August 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank billy43212016
Reviewed 23 September 2017

had a late lunch today with friends at the restaurant - food, atmosphere and service is excellent. We all had fried clams which were small and sweet. The apple/bread pudding was also very good, served warm with ice cream. I would recommend this restaurant - definitely a do-over.

Room tip: we ate in the restaurant only - inn has 7 well-appointed rooms.
Date of stay: September 2017
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 September 2017 via mobile

The Fairview Inn has had a long and celebrated history in Marshfield and has been reborn with new management and re-opened in the past few months. The layout of formal dining room and barside pub seating remains including live music on most nights. The menu has many familiar favorites particularly the local seafood and specials based on local catch. We chose to eat on the barside where the service was a little slow to engage but once we had a waitstaff defined all was good. It took awhile for entrees to arrive after appetizers which just meant another order from the bar but such delays could annoy customers. My wife's salmon was very good and the fried clams with fries was a classic but maybe a bit heavy on the batter. There is outdoor seating available and great views of the ocean right across the street. Parking is a bit limited but overall the new rendition of the Fairview Inn should be a regular locale for may in the area seeking good food, drink, atmosphere and entertainment.

Date of stay: September 2017