“Treasured by Locals”

Fen Yang House
Ranked #32 of 60 Restaurants in Marblehead
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 22 August 2015

Fen Yang does "traditional" Chinese-American food, and they do it right.

I grew up in this area and remember when there were many more places like this. All I can say is that I'm glad this one continues to thrive. This is your parents and grandparents Chinese food, in the best way.

They are not trying to be Chinatown or SF. If you expect that, you might feel they missed the mark. However, if you love spare ribs, fried rice, lo mein, General Gau's, etc. you are in for a treat. Very fresh ingredients, very aptly prepared. If you enjoy a good tropical cocktail, or just a well poured drink, you are in for an extra special treat.

There is a good sized bar area that is separate from the dining room. It's a nice little escape that you will find a number of local people enjoying on any given night. ( It's a scene straight out of "Cheers".) The dining room is very nice too, especially for larger parties and a more "family oriented" experience. (Unless you are a member of my family, like half this town…..) But no question a total stranger would also feel very comfortable here.

They also have a very good sushi bar. I'll admit that I am something of a sushi snob. I tend to prefer designated sushi restaurants for some reason. But their sushi is straightforward, extremely fresh, nicely presented and delicious. I've been enjoying it for years.

If you are new to town or a visitor, don't hesitate to check it out. It's a Marblehead fixture, for good reason.

Reviewed 21 November 2014 via mobile

We order to go food for about 12 people once a month. The food is great. The Chinese and the the Japanese food are both well done. There is no long wait for to go orders. Call and get some great food.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

It was a very average experience for our visit. We started off with the egg rolls which were not greasy but very crispy and well done. The wonton soup was much more noodle and very little meat. We had the chicken lo mein and the ginger chicken with string beans. The ginger chicken didn't come with rice and we had to order it. That was different. Both of those dishes were good but the ginger chicken was better. Portions were a good size and the prices were very reasonable. The service was good. My daughter told me the ladies room was dirty and needed a complete overhaul. She mentioned there were chipped tiles, chipped toilet seats, and the sink was disgusting.

Reviewed 11 June 2013

We LOVE Fen Yang. They have what I would call gormet Chinese food (after tasting the other places on the North Shore) and we often eat here when back in town. We ordered it every week when we lived here and miss it terribly. Kid friendly. Group friendly. Most of the business is take out but there is a large dining room and great service. They have a Japanese menu and fresh sushi/shashimi made to order in the bar area. Drinks are cheap. Food is FANTASTIC!

Reviewed 19 November 2012

This is one of the best places in the area to go for Chinese food. We like to just go into the bar, and have dinner and watch the game on the TV.

The food is great, the service is great! Very nice people and they have almost every on the menu.