All reviews sloane's tavern quiet room play golf capitol steps indoor pool beautiful resort steam room driving range different buildings carriage house the cottages fitness center the main dining room no elevator girls weekend music room fine dining
Reviewed 26 August 2018

Our visit to Cranwell was to celebrate a birthday (with golf) in style, and it was all we hoped it would be. We arrived on a Sunday afternoon, golfed on Monday, and left on Tuesday so we had time to experience a lot of what the resort has to offer. We stayed in the Premium King Suite in the mansion which is a fabulous room with a giant living room that has a beautiful fireplace and separate bedroom with a private balcony overlooking the golf course and the Berkshires beyond. I really liked the antique furniture and the feeling that we had stepped back in time to the elegance of the Gilded Age. The staff was friendly and attentive to all of our needs. We enjoyed exploring the mansion, walking the grounds, having both a dinner and snacks at Sloane's, breakfasting in the Music Room, taking in the Capitol Steps show, and having a great round of golf.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Deanna M, Director of Sales at Cranwell Spa & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2018

Dear Annemarie B,
We are honored that you chose to celebrate this special day at Cranwell Spa & Golf Resort! The Premium King Suite in the Mansion is one of our favorite rooms for all the reasons you listed - "giant living room with beautiful fireplace, separate bedroom with private balcony overlooking the golf course and Berkshires beyond". Exploring the Gilded Age Mansion and walking the grounds is a wonderful way to relax and go back in time.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed 14 August 2018

I have been visiting The Cranwell for over 20 years, and it just gets better all the time. I have treated my daughter to a birthday visit each August since she turned 16. This past weekend, my sister and I celebrate my daughter's 21st with her at the resort, and everything was wonderful! Lovely accommodations and attention to detail, terrific spa treatments, delicious dinner and beautiful atmosphere! Excellent all around! Can't wait to return in September with my husband to celebrate our 25th anniversary!

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank jryan359

Dear jryan359,
We are humbled by your gracious review and we thank you for choosing Cranwell Spa & Golf Resort for these milestone events! We look forward to welcoming you back in September!

Reviewed 5 August 2018

Hotel is very dated. The construction had nothing to do with my rating. For $500/night, I expected exceptional service. We stayed in the mansion. Not sure it was worth $200/night. We didn't get to take advantage of the golf or spa, so the rating is on the room and our experience in the mansion lounge. Celebrating an anniversary and wanted a special night away. Check-in staff suggested we eat at the main dining room and when I questioned if they were actually open, since it was a Wed, they paused and realized I was right. When I asked for an alternative recommendation for a nice anniversary dinner, they suggested the mansion lodge - which had sandwiches and burgers. Again, not what I would have expected.

Room Tip: mansion walls are thin, as it is an old building
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank cub74

Dear cub74,
Thank you for your valuable feedback. Customer service is our #1 goal and I am sorry we came up short with your visit. I would like to invite you to contact me so we can discuss this in further detail. Please call our main number, 1-800-CRANWEL, and ask to be transferred to my office.

Reviewed 21 July 2018

My wife and I wanted a Berskhire property that offered a swimming pool for our summer trip and decided on Cranwell. We knew ahead of time about the construction going on but the reviews said it wasn't a bother so we booked. The first noticeable thing about Cranwell is the staff. They are beyond beyond beyond friendly. One of the days it was raining and a staff member just gave us her umbrella. When I mentioned we'd be out for the day she replied "keep it." The breakfast staff in the mansion are very outgoing, and a pleasure to be around. And the golf staff are great as well.

My only small complaint is the rooms. They are outdated. People say that's the "charm" of the Berkshires but I just think in 2018 hotels should do more to keep up with the times. The entire property needs a facelift from the bathrooms to the carpeting around the property, curtains, couches, etc.

Also the pool's filter was broken during our stay so the water was dirty with some dead bugs, etc. I'm sure that will be fixed.

All in all a wonderful stay and an affordable price. I definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: The suite rooms are very large and spacious
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
4  Thank Ben T
Deanna M, Director of Sales at Cranwell Spa & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2018

Dear Ben,
Thank you for taking the time to send your review on Cranwell Spa & Golf Resort and for your glowing comments about our staff! I will be sure to pass them on! As you know, we are under construction and renovations. Hopefully we have the opportunity to welcome you back so you can enjoy the updates!

Reviewed 5 July 2018 via mobile

We booked two rooms for family, which were reasonably clean, if just comfortable. When we were coming back from the pool one of the afternoons we returned to four fire trucks and a police car. There had been an electrical shortage in one of the hotel rooms near to us. The smoke alarms never went off and when the guest went to her room it was filled with smoke.
They would not let us into our rooms for hours after and we had a dinner reservation in town for 11 of us that was reserved with a credit card. Although they did offer to buy us dinner at the resort we had to stick to our original reservation since we were such a large group.
Thinking Cranwell would reimburse us for our dinner, they gave us a piddly $75 per family and could have cared less that we had to go to dinner in our pool clothes.
But who cares. The most concerning thing is that the smoke alarm didn’t go off. I was glad to be sleeping on the first floor.
The pool is too small for such a big resort and crowded, food mediocre.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
4  Thank heatherpc

Dear heatherpc,

Thank you for your feedback. First and foremost, on behalf of our entire team, we are thankful that you, your family, and the rest of our resort guests were completely safe and unharmed. Typically I do not correct guests' comments, but in this case, I feel it is important to add some clarification to a few statements.

The electrical shortage was very small and did not create enough smoke to set the alarm off. As a measure of maximum safety for our guests, we pulled the fire alarm - which was very loud and clear. In addition, staff knocked on every single door. Perhaps by the time you returned, it had been shut off.

Our General Manager was on site immediately. He, along with other senior staff, offered complimentary beverages and meals to all guests who were standing by while the fire department inspected the property and gave the all clear.

We are terribly sorry for the inconvenience this caused you and our other guests and we are extremely grateful to all guests and the fire department who lent their assistance and support.