“Lovely”

Cranwell Spa & Golf Resort
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Lenox
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 26 April 2012

I planned a bachelorette weekend for 10 friends at Cranwell and it could not have been better. I chose Cranwell because I visited in 2005 and remember it being wonderful. This visit was even better than the last. The grounds are absolutely gorgeous and the hotel ensures that the small details are accounted for, like having adirondack chairs arranged on a beautiful lawn. We had rooms in the Beecher's Cottage and they were huge and luxurious with beautiful views of the grounds and sitting areas. Everyone involved remarked upon how sumptuous the spaces felt. When I visited in 2005, I stayed in a smaller room as part of a spa package. Although I remember the accomodations being very nice, the rooms in Beecher's Cottage were outstanding. We were able to arrange three rooms next to each other (two adjoining) so we could all be together. We visited the fitness center and spa on Saturday and had a wonderful time. The workout room is free to all guests and very clean and well-appointed. The whole spa building has a great feeling of openess and gets a lot of light through beautiful skylights. I took a yoga class. The class was great but I was sad to hear that it was an additional $15 charge. Cranwell is not an inexpensive place and is designed to be a spa setting so it seemed petty to charge extra. After the class, I had a deep tissue massage, which I highly recommend and used the spa's steam room, sauna and whirlpool. Althought the place was packed, as the previous reviewer also noted, the spa areas were very well-maintained and still felt restful and relaxing. The only meal we ate on the property was dinner Friday night at the casual Sloane's Tavern. It is nice to have both formal and informal restaurant options and Sloane's has a great atmosphere. The food is good, not great. Just one more note: every staff person we encountered at Cranwell was helpful and pleasant from the bellman who helped with our luggage to the concierge who recommended bars in the area (The Heritage House in Lenox, it is lots of fun!).

Room Tip: I would recommend rooms in Beecher's Cottage. They are large and very quiet.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 25 April 2012

I went to Cranwell Resort for a girls' spa weekend. We arrived on a Friday afternoon and were greated by wonderful front desk staff. We checked into our room and sat down out on the patio for our room and could look at the Berkshires. It was breathtaking. We stayed for 2 nights. The hotel room was nice and spacious. The bathroom was the biggest bathroom I've ever seen in a hotel. It had double sinks, a shower stall and a soaking tub with plenty of room to spare. The beds were not the most comfortable, both my friend and I woke up with sore backs. The stay was wonderful and relaxing overall. We had spa treatments scheduled for Saturday afternoon. The quiet room was really, really, really busy and wasn't very quite with all the traffic. There wasn't a free seat in the place. Our treatments were wonderful and my estitician actually suggested a different treatment than the one I had originally booked, and I was credited the $50 difference! I had a deep cleansing facial and was SO happy with the result. The treatment was relaxing, with neck, arm, head and shoulder massage. I'm getting relaxed all over again just thinking about it. We had breakfast in the mansion on Sunday morning. A great buffet with a wonderful, entertaining chef making fantastic eggs and omelets.

Room Tip: We were in the founders building and had a great view, and were off the beaten path a little bit.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 April 2012

We stayed at the Cranwell Resort to break up the drive on return from PA. It was the best choice after a day of driving to stay at this luxurious resort. The room was wonderful and spacious. My husband commented on how comfortable the mattress was-I agree. The dinner was the best we had enjoyed the entire trip. Of course, the hotel itself is an historic building...like staying at Downton Abbey! :-)

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 23 April 2012

This was my third time staying at Cranwell and it was excellent. We stayed in the Founder's Cottage this time, which was quiet and elegant. Not a sound from any other neighbors. I loved using the walkways between the buildings, especially going to the spa. The pool and whirlpool there are fabulous. The breakfast was delicious, but the service was on the slow side. Normally I'd be fine with that, but we were a little short on time, wanting to get out for a daylong hike.

Cranwell is a place to take a deep breath and relax. And we were able to do that there.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 April 2012

The Good: The suites in Olmstead (and other places) are very good for families. They have a living room with pull-out sofa and bedroom with king size bed. Both rooms have a flat screen TV. It would be nice if there was a door on the bedroom for privacy, but there is not. The staff is very helpful and attentive. They quickly brought up extra towels and cups when requested. Check-in and check-out is easy. The indoor pool is beautiful and warm. Perfect for children. The workout room is modern and relatively well equipped (though the cardio machines do not have monitors and there are 3 tube TVs on the walls which is very "10 years ago"). The location is great. And, though during our stay which was "off season" a lot of the facilities were closed, they do have great amenities like golf, tennis, bike rentals and outdoor pool. The Tavern by the golf pro shop is a great casual place to eat with reasonably priced and tasty fare. It is informal enough for children (which is rare for the many formal Berkshire resorts).

The Bad: HOUSEKEEPING. It was really not very good or thorough. Our first room was in one of the outside cottages which we left immediately upon check-in. It was claustrophobic and the kitchenette was not clean. Also it was dark and kind of depressing. Our suite in the Olmstead was better. But, the bathtub had not been cleaned from the prior guests. My wife ended up cleaning it. The second day, we ran out of toilet paper. I even left the TP cover for the spare roll out (to show it was empty). But, it was not replaced. That does not bode well for the thoroughness of the cleaning! The blankets for the sofa and the cot that was brought in were old and worn. I doubt they have been cleaned recently. The rooms are also looking a bit tired. The carpet was dirty and I found a flashlight from a prior guest on the closet shelf in plain view! Also, the heat continually pumped in the bathroom with no ability to shut it off. The large game room downstairs had a ping pong table, air hockey and small pool table which my kids loved. But it also had a very 1980s "End of Catskills Era" feel to it with worn furniture, broken sticks, old carpeting and clearly no upkeep. The .breakfast in the dining room was OK, but not great, especially for the price. And, the coffee was VERY weak which might just be a personal peeve of mine. Though, in this age of "designer coffee," I think that most of us enjoy a heartier brew!

Overall, it is still a great family resort and a decent value (though not cheap) for what it offers. We had a nice time and recommend it for families looking for a resort that offers more than the B and Bs in the area. But, I see it heading downhill a bit from our prior visits when everything sparkled and was very clean. Maybe it was just because it was the off season and they were off their game somewhat. I hope so. But, if this trend continues, I think they will get downgraded a bit in the future.

Room Tip: Stay either in the Mansion (where the main restaurant is located) or the Olmstead (which has the mai...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Norma_Probst, Public Relations Manager at Cranwell Spa & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2012

Thank you for taking the time to highlight all the positive aspects of your recent visit to Cranwell and we are pleased that you consider us a great family resort and a decent value. We also appreciate your constructive feedback on areas where your expectations were not met. We are continuously striving to keep our historic resort updated and are pleased to be nearing completion of the new 18-room Carriage House. This new building will have many double room accommodations suited for families and it is also connected to the Spa by a glass-enclosed walkway. We will be investigating the housekeeping issues you raised, as this is certainly not the standard that we expect to deliver to our guests. One small detail regarding your comment about a flashlight left in the room. We place a flashlight in all our guest rooms for safety purposes and it has proven helpful in various circumstances. We are looking forward to seeing you and your family back at Cranwell Resort soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lenox
0.7 km away
4.4 km away
Courtyard Marriott Lenox Berkshires
7.0 km away
Hampton Inn & Suites Berkshires-Lenox

Been to Cranwell Spa & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK