“Most incredible hotel I have ever stayed in!”
Review of Blantyre

Blantyre
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Lenox
Boston, Massachusetts
“Most incredible hotel I have ever stayed in!”
Reviewed 28 April 2012

I have stayed in many world class hotels but this one has them all beat. Some hotels are spectacular because of the scenery, some the accommodations, some the service, or even the food; but this hotel has them all. We went for a long weekend in January and have wanted to return ever since. I was supposed to go with my husband but since he had to work I took a close friend. We stayed in the two bedroom Ice house and it was truly magical. I felt like we had our own cabin in the woods. Everything that you could possibly want or need was available at our fingertips. I wish I had the words to be able to truly express how magical this place is. When we arrived, even though we had both driven they took our bags and put them into the resorts car and guided us to our cottage. They built us a fire, put our bags in our rooms and gave us a tour of the cottage. It had a wonderful window seat in a bay window in the living room, a sun room built entirely of windows with a sofa, chairs and a table, there was a hidden flat screen tv in the living room with a variety of movies (more available upon request) and a dining room with an antique table for 6. There was brand new stainless steel kitchen with luxury dishes and cook wear, complimentary drinks in the refrigerator as well as a welcome basket with fruits, teas, cookies and chocolates. The master bedroom located on the main level was large, bright and spacious with a changing area/walk in closet and an enormous bathroom with a separate shower and bathtub, dual sinks and the toilet was behind its own door (water pressure was excellent). In the morning, they send in several people at once to clean, to cut down the amount of time that they are there. At turn down, we were given a box of chocolates as well as the blantyre cookbook, which is beautifully done, my friend, who was staying in the bedroom downstairs, received the same thing. Although the other bedroom is downstairs with its own bathroom, it is still above ground and both bedrooms have decks that you can walk out on or have a meal. While we were there we went ice skating, (they even have a hot chocolate menu you can order from while on the rink. We took a carriage ride, went snow shoeing, had massages and just generally explored. The food was exceptional, especially dinner, their sommelier was incredible, we had no desire to go anywhere else. Before dinner, they bring you drinks and canapés. I could go on forever about this place but I think this one experience will sum it up, my friend was starting to get sick so we called the front desk to see where the closest grocery store to buy cough drops was, they said they would call right back and about 10 minutes later the grounds keeper knocked on our door with a bag of cough drops, he said "I didn't know what flavor or brand you wanted so I got them all" furthermore, he refused to allow us to pay them or accept a tip. Blantyre really goes beyond every expectation. I can't wait to return

Room Tip: The cottages are the most quiet and remote, the patterson suite is the most bright and airy and the...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank meagan1223
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
New York
Reviewed 31 March 2012

Harking back to a bygone era of style, wonderful service and amazing attention to detail our all too brief four night stay at Blantyre will definitely reside in my memory as one of the most enchanting trips I've ever taken. The Laurel Suite was a beautifully appointed combination of antique packed rooms that overlooked the magnificent MA landscape of rolling hills and forest. The bathroom was large, warm and comfortable with an amazing shower and claw foot tub. We had delicious breakfasts and dinners, they also have an amazing wine-cellar with thousands of incredible varieties and vintages to choose from, from around the globe. We also enjoyed some wonderful spa treatments - and even got to ice skate on their private rink. Each evening a pianist discretely entertains in the main drawing room for the cocktail hour. The staff are charming and totally invested in the well-being of the guest. If you can appreciate being taken perfect care of, then I insist you visit Blantyre.

Room Tip: All the rooms in the main house were quite magical, we stayed in the Laurel Suite. The carriage hous...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank frequenttravellar
Lewes, Delaware
Reviewed 28 February 2012

With all the wonderful, glowing reviews of this property, I had to really question our own experience to see if there was something at fault with my opinion of the weekend before writing this review. . . but here it is. I thinki this is a very beautiful property. It is a wonderful spot for a romantic weekend or a gathering of friends. I do think the 20 percent service charge added to everything is very high, and we really didn't find the food (dinner and breakfast) to be exceptional. Perhaps it was because we were there in the off season? I'm not sure.

I will say that probably a lot of the allure of Blantyre is the experience of it all. We chose to eat in our accommodations rather than experiencing the dinner service in the dining room. I do regret that. The poor weather also prevented us from experiencing all the resort had to offer (i.e. the snowshoeing and ice skating ). . . which I had been so looking forward to.

The dangerous thing about TripAdvisor is other reviewers set the bar so high with some properties that it is very hard for the experience of other guests to live up to theirs every single time. For example, I was really looking forward to the bottle of champagne upon arrival that others noted (we were celebrating my 40th birthday) but received a half bottle of red instead. Our particular accommodations, while nice, were also not up to the standard of a $1000-a-night accommodation though I couldn't find any past reviewers that had stayed where we were located.

All that said, I think back to a weekend spent at the White Barn Inn in Kennebunkport, the only other Relais and Chateaux property in which I have stayed. The weather that weekend was terrible too but I had an absolutely unforgettable time thanks to an extremely attentive staff, sumptuous food, and a very cozy room. If I compare the two properties, I don't think they are of the same caliber . . . at least that was our experience.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank MaJolie72
Albany NY
Reviewed 7 January 2012

My husband and I stay at the Blantyre once or twice a year, most recently in October 2011 when we had the pleasure of also attending their Roderer Estate Champagne Dinner. I agree with other commenters that this property is nothing short of amazing. Ms. Fitzpatrick Brown has truly done something exceptional in not only the decor and ambiance of the property but in her training of the staff, as well. You'll feel whisked away to a long-lost time and place. Each room has a curated collection of fine antiques and books and high-quality dvd's and cd's. You feel as if you are staying in the fine country home of someone with exquisite taste, and really, you are. We have stayed in the Patterson Suite, which is absolutely enormous (with two separate bathrooms!) and also some of the smaller rooms, like The Orchard Suite in the Carriage House. Staying in the rooms in the Carriage House is nice if you are going to be using the beautiful pool or the super-relaxing spa. In the winter time, it's nice to stay in the rooms in the main house, as most of them have fireplaces. The food is exceptional and keep in mind a full (and I mean enormous) breakfast is included in your room rate.

Ms. Fitzpatrick Brown spares no expense nor any effort in making your stay something you will never forget. Do not let the price put you off in booking a stay here. It is worth every penny.

Room Tip: My favorite room is the Laurel Suite in the main house. This would be a perfect, cozy aerie for a h...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AlbanyNYIslandlover
Lexington, Massachusetts
Reviewed 7 November 2011

I recently spent an unforgettable overnight at Blantyre. As numerous reviews attest, the place is extraordinary. No detail goes unnoticed. I have stayed in many hotels and this one truly distinguishes itself from the rest. It's difficult to even think of it as a hotel! You do feel more as if you've been invited to a friend's country manor.

I was traveling to Lenox to have dinner with the high school guidance counselor who had turned my life around, and who I had not seen in 45 years. After reading reviews of restaurants in Lenox, I chose Blantyre for what promised to be a very special dinner.
An unseasonal snowstorm arrived soon after I did, and by 5:00 p.m., the roads were blanketed. The restaurant stayed open, and, not wanting to brave the roads twice, I reserved a second room for my guests, who--though both in their eighties--were ready for the adventure. When we arrived back at Blantyre, we were greeted outside by 4 or 5 people, including Ann Brown, the owner. Ann was so excited that we'd made it and so happy for us that she offered a free room for my guests that night. With a guest who was more than willing to pay for the room, I found Ann's generosity remarkable. And it's that remarkable generosity of spirit that makes Blantyre so special. It begins with Ann, and was evident in every single staff person I met there. Although I'm sure the staff is held to a high standard, I felt the staff members I met were genuinely good-natured and enjoyed providing a memorable experience to guests.

So we dined at leisure, in our own beautifully appointed small dining room, with wait staff that were nothing less than courtly, without being pretentious. When we wanted a photograph, someone appeared with a camera. The next day a disposable camera materialized. The dinner was extraordinary-- perfectly prepared and delicious. The creme brulee was the best I've ever tasted. We lingered over dinner for hours, and then were driven to our rooms in the carriage house. My room was as lovely and as comfortable as has been reported in other reviews.

In the morning, we were driven to the main house again for a sumptuous breakfast and, while we ate and talked, the amazing staff were busily digging out and cleaning off my car.
All in all, the Blantyre was much more than I'd hoped and I am looking forward to my next visit there. Try it. You won't be disappointed!
LE Lexington, MA

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
5 Thank lanaeps
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lenox
3.7 km away
13.0 km away
Hotel on North
Hotel on North
#1 of 8 in Pittsfield

Been to Blantyre? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK