“Amazing and wonderful experience”
Review of Blantyre

Blantyre
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Lenox
New York
“Amazing and wonderful experience”
Reviewed 31 March 2012

Harking back to a bygone era of style, wonderful service and amazing attention to detail our all too brief four night stay at Blantyre will definitely reside in my memory as one of the most enchanting trips I've ever taken. The Laurel Suite was a beautifully appointed combination of antique packed rooms that overlooked the magnificent MA landscape of rolling hills and forest. The bathroom was large, warm and comfortable with an amazing shower and claw foot tub. We had delicious breakfasts and dinners, they also have an amazing wine-cellar with thousands of incredible varieties and vintages to choose from, from around the globe. We also enjoyed some wonderful spa treatments - and even got to ice skate on their private rink. Each evening a pianist discretely entertains in the main drawing room for the cocktail hour. The staff are charming and totally invested in the well-being of the guest. If you can appreciate being taken perfect care of, then I insist you visit Blantyre.

Room Tip: All the rooms in the main house were quite magical, we stayed in the Laurel Suite. The carriage hous...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank frequenttravellar
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Lewes, Delaware
Reviewed 28 February 2012

With all the wonderful, glowing reviews of this property, I had to really question our own experience to see if there was something at fault with my opinion of the weekend before writing this review. . . but here it is. I thinki this is a very beautiful property. It is a wonderful spot for a romantic weekend or a gathering of friends. I do think the 20 percent service charge added to everything is very high, and we really didn't find the food (dinner and breakfast) to be exceptional. Perhaps it was because we were there in the off season? I'm not sure.

I will say that probably a lot of the allure of Blantyre is the experience of it all. We chose to eat in our accommodations rather than experiencing the dinner service in the dining room. I do regret that. The poor weather also prevented us from experiencing all the resort had to offer (i.e. the snowshoeing and ice skating ). . . which I had been so looking forward to.

The dangerous thing about TripAdvisor is other reviewers set the bar so high with some properties that it is very hard for the experience of other guests to live up to theirs every single time. For example, I was really looking forward to the bottle of champagne upon arrival that others noted (we were celebrating my 40th birthday) but received a half bottle of red instead. Our particular accommodations, while nice, were also not up to the standard of a $1000-a-night accommodation though I couldn't find any past reviewers that had stayed where we were located.

All that said, I think back to a weekend spent at the White Barn Inn in Kennebunkport, the only other Relais and Chateaux property in which I have stayed. The weather that weekend was terrible too but I had an absolutely unforgettable time thanks to an extremely attentive staff, sumptuous food, and a very cozy room. If I compare the two properties, I don't think they are of the same caliber . . . at least that was our experience.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank MaJolie72
Albany NY
Reviewed 7 January 2012

My husband and I stay at the Blantyre once or twice a year, most recently in October 2011 when we had the pleasure of also attending their Roderer Estate Champagne Dinner. I agree with other commenters that this property is nothing short of amazing. Ms. Fitzpatrick Brown has truly done something exceptional in not only the decor and ambiance of the property but in her training of the staff, as well. You'll feel whisked away to a long-lost time and place. Each room has a curated collection of fine antiques and books and high-quality dvd's and cd's. You feel as if you are staying in the fine country home of someone with exquisite taste, and really, you are. We have stayed in the Patterson Suite, which is absolutely enormous (with two separate bathrooms!) and also some of the smaller rooms, like The Orchard Suite in the Carriage House. Staying in the rooms in the Carriage House is nice if you are going to be using the beautiful pool or the super-relaxing spa. In the winter time, it's nice to stay in the rooms in the main house, as most of them have fireplaces. The food is exceptional and keep in mind a full (and I mean enormous) breakfast is included in your room rate.

Ms. Fitzpatrick Brown spares no expense nor any effort in making your stay something you will never forget. Do not let the price put you off in booking a stay here. It is worth every penny.

Room Tip: My favorite room is the Laurel Suite in the main house. This would be a perfect, cozy aerie for a h...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AlbanyNYIslandlover
Lexington, Massachusetts
Reviewed 7 November 2011

I recently spent an unforgettable overnight at Blantyre. As numerous reviews attest, the place is extraordinary. No detail goes unnoticed. I have stayed in many hotels and this one truly distinguishes itself from the rest. It's difficult to even think of it as a hotel! You do feel more as if you've been invited to a friend's country manor.

I was traveling to Lenox to have dinner with the high school guidance counselor who had turned my life around, and who I had not seen in 45 years. After reading reviews of restaurants in Lenox, I chose Blantyre for what promised to be a very special dinner.
An unseasonal snowstorm arrived soon after I did, and by 5:00 p.m., the roads were blanketed. The restaurant stayed open, and, not wanting to brave the roads twice, I reserved a second room for my guests, who--though both in their eighties--were ready for the adventure. When we arrived back at Blantyre, we were greeted outside by 4 or 5 people, including Ann Brown, the owner. Ann was so excited that we'd made it and so happy for us that she offered a free room for my guests that night. With a guest who was more than willing to pay for the room, I found Ann's generosity remarkable. And it's that remarkable generosity of spirit that makes Blantyre so special. It begins with Ann, and was evident in every single staff person I met there. Although I'm sure the staff is held to a high standard, I felt the staff members I met were genuinely good-natured and enjoyed providing a memorable experience to guests.

So we dined at leisure, in our own beautifully appointed small dining room, with wait staff that were nothing less than courtly, without being pretentious. When we wanted a photograph, someone appeared with a camera. The next day a disposable camera materialized. The dinner was extraordinary-- perfectly prepared and delicious. The creme brulee was the best I've ever tasted. We lingered over dinner for hours, and then were driven to our rooms in the carriage house. My room was as lovely and as comfortable as has been reported in other reviews.

In the morning, we were driven to the main house again for a sumptuous breakfast and, while we ate and talked, the amazing staff were busily digging out and cleaning off my car.
All in all, the Blantyre was much more than I'd hoped and I am looking forward to my next visit there. Try it. You won't be disappointed!
LE Lexington, MA

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
5 Thank lanaeps
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 25 October 2011

The people are warm and go out of their way to make your stay exceptional. We stayed in one of the rooms in the carriage house called Brookside. We loved it. The room is beautiful and elegant but also comfortable and homey. As we entered our room right behind us they came in with champagne accompanied by a cheese and fruit plate. A nice way to start our adventure. We had dinner at their restaurant the first night and the experience was wonderful. You enter the main room with the scent of the fireplace and the sound of the piano in the air. You are given tasty canapes to start in the main room before dinner. We made our dinner and wine selections and then after a nice relaxing time were brought into the dining room. I must stop here and just say that the service and the people that work here are all amazing, friendly and go out of their way to add to your experience at Blantyre.The meal was wonderful from beginning to end. Fine dining indeed!

In addition to the property it is the local area that adds to this experience. We went for a nice hike up Monument Mountain one day and then to Ice Glen the next. Amazing hikes and great views.

We had dinner in Lenox at a great restaurant called Nudel. Great food bursting with flavors.

Blantyre is one for the memory books and we will be returning over and over. We loved it and highly, highly recommend it.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lenox
3.7 km away
13.0 km away
Hotel on North
Hotel on North
#1 of 8 in Pittsfield

Been to Blantyre? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK