All reviews indian restaurant breakfast room lakeside room lake view on site restaurant pontoon boat front desk staff small lake yogurt hard boiled eggs adirondack chairs laurel lake no elevator pleasant stay complimentary breakfast nice room second floor
Reviewed 7 September 2018 via mobile

We had a wonderful two night stay. Set on a lake (be sure to ask for a lake view room) in an extremely convenient location, the Black Swan had much to offer. The staff was very accommodating. Refrigerator was in the room, continental breakfast buffet in a room overlooking the lake, pontoon boat, paddle boat, kayak, bicycles available for hire. Indian restaurant open for dinner. Close to Tanglewood, shopping, and restaurants.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 September 2018

This is a superbly maintained hotel with a killer view of the lake. The rooms are clean, comfortable even if they are a tad bit small. My one complaint: no place to hang a sportcoat and pants. Lots of drawer space, amply sized bathroom, "sleeping space", etc.. Just no "bar" or anything from which to hang a jacket. Also, there is no elevator which is not a problem unless you have health issues. Make sure you ask for a room on the first floor. Breakfast buffet is nice if not a little spartan.

Room Tip: Get a room that looks out over the lake
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family
Carrie K, Front Office Manager at Black Swan Inn Berkshires, an Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2018

Steven-

We would like to thank you for taking the time to leave a review on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay at the Black Swan Inn. Your review was so thoughtfully written and we are all very appreciative. Regarding the place to hang your clothes...there is actually a closet in every room. It is located behind the large mirror in your room, and is equipped with hangers, an iron and an ironing board. I wish that we had had the opportunity to explain this to you during your stay.

We would like to thank you, once again, for your very kind review. We hope to have you back in the very near future!

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 2 September 2018 via mobile

This was an overnight stay to that area. Upon arriving, there was a strong chlorine bleach smell in the hallway. Our room was immaculate and well appointed with a gorgeous view of the lake! There were a couple of boats to rent right on the property so that was a plus! The breakfast, however, was something else! That’s why I only gave this a three star. It was one of the scarcest, if not the scarcest, breakfasts we have encountered in our travels. The breakfast room had a great view of the lake, but the lack of food options and the quality of the food was a real disappointment.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 August 2018

The room was very nice with comfortable beds, our room had a balcony overlooking one end of the lake. The only thing I would change is maybe some privacy screens between balconies as it was awkward to sit out there with your neighbors in the next room sitting next to you eating their dinner. They also have boat rentals so you can enjoy the lake, no swimming at the hotel but there is a beach right down the street.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony room over looking the lake.
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
Carrie K, Front Office Manager at Black Swan Inn Berkshires, an Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2018

Michelle-

I would like to take the time to thank you for leaving a review on Trip Advisor for other guests to read. I am happy to hear that you had an enjoyable stay! I hope that you had the chance to pay a visit to the Sandy Beach, it really is a beautiful place to relax. We thank you for your suggestions and I will forward your suggestion about the privacy screens on to upper management for consideration.

We hope to see you in the very near future!

Thank you for straying at the Black Swan Inn!

Kind Regards,

Front Office Manager

Reviewed 21 August 2018 via mobile

Upon checking in, I was told my reservation wasn’t found. I showed the gentleman the confirmation who did some research and finally found our reservation. I guess the issue arose because we booked through a third party. We booked a lake view room and were told that all of those rooms were taken. To me, that meant there were people checked-in to those rooms already. Well come to find out, there were at least 3 rooms open at the time of our check-in because I saw a family check-in to the room across from ours, and then ask to be moved to a different room for some reason (which ended up being another lake view room next door) and when I was reserving a kayak, another couple checked in to another lake view room—this time on the first floor. I assume they paid a higher rate or something which is why I wasn’t given the priority, but it should be known this is the practice of the hotel so beware! The gentleman checking us in was very nice, apologetic and contacted the GM at home for guidance because of the situation. They only offered us a standard room versus what we booked and paid for. They did offer me unlimited use of the kayaks to offset the disappointment.

The room: After the check-in debacle, things went smoothly. Our room was clean and spacious. Aside from the towel left hanging from the previous guests and no bath mat to get out of the shower on to the room was good. Beds were comfortable and air conditioning worked well.

The experience: the location and experience is enjoyable. The lake is small and clean. Not much motorized boat activity and not many houses along the shore. It was quiet and peaceful. We enjoyed some time on the water and actually saw a bald eagle. In the morning, we enjoyed a cup of coffee on the dock and listened to the birds and nature and saw lots of fish jumping around. Very relaxing. We rode the bikes to the beach—about 5 minutes by bike—and enjoyed some quiet reading time there as a change of scenery.

The breakfast: Standard continental breakfast. Coffee/tea/juice/milk bagels/toast/cereal/muffins/waffles and some fruit. Nothing spectacular and not much more than that.

The on-site restaurant (Mint): I left a separate review under that restaurant on trip advisor. Food was fantastic.

Overall, the stay was very good. Our experience was very enjoyable and relaxing which is what we were looking for. The check-in issue impacted my opinion because of the way it was handled. I prefer honesty and when I’m lied to, it doesn’t sit well with me.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family

I want to thank you for taking the time to leave a review on Trip Advisor. We do read, and appreciate, each and every comment. I would like to start by apologizing for the mix-up in your reservation, and the disappointment that it led to. Regarding the lakeside room issue, I do believe that all rooms were spoken for. However, upon checking in, some rooms needed to be reassigned due to special requests (first floor, etc). I can assure you that, had a lakeside room been available, you would have absolutely received that. We certainly try our best to meet all requests.

I am so pleased to hear that you had the opportunity to relax and enjoy the wildlife that we are surrounded by. The bald eagle pays us a visit every year, and we really look forward to those visits.

I would really like to have the opportunity to provide you with a better stay. If you would allow us to have the second chance, you may see our true capabilities. Please contact me, directly, if you choose to book again.

Again, I apologize for your disappointment and truly hope to see you again.