“Excellent Italian Pizza”

Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 12 July 2018 via mobile

A Good pizza begins with a great crust, and Pizza Barbone has fantastic pizza dough. We ordered three pizzas and the beet salad. I suggest asking for extra cheese if you are used to a traditional American pizza. The beet salad was good but not great. I prefer roasted beets. The service was excellent! Also, the lunch special is a good deal if you are there for lunch.

Reviewed 10 July 2018

We stopped at Pizza Barbone for a quick bite on our short stop in Hyannis. Based on the low key outdoor area we didn't have a high expectation. We were wrong. The margherita pizza and the green salad was fresh and delicious, one of the best I ever had. What a nice surprise! They should do a facelift on the outdoor area to match up with the quality of food and service.

Reviewed 9 July 2018

The pizza was amazing and I'm not usually a big pizza eater. The pizza was so much like the pizza I had when I lived in Italy. The dough was excellent and the toppings seemed fresh. The restaurant was very clean and I loved the decor. I look forward to eating here again on my next visit to Hyannis!

Reviewed 4 July 2018

We came here with our teen daughters who wanted pizza. They loved having their own, so they could get whatever toppings they wanted. We all loved the crust. Crispy, yet chewy. The beer was fantastic as well. A little more than I would pay back home, but it was scrumptious!

1  Thank cheeseheadfamilyof4
Reviewed 29 June 2018

I judge all pizza by the standard of the one I had in Bardolino on Lake Garda about 10 years ago. There have been many since that fell well short of that one and a few that almost match it. The ones we ate at Pizza Barbone are in the latter category.

It’s a nice place on Hyannis’ Main Street with efficient staff. And a menu that makes sense with toppings much as you might find in Italy – so no chicken tikka masala or pineapple here. Oh, and a wood fired oven that cooks them in a couple of minutes or so. I asked the chef about the oven – they use kiln dried hardwood so it gets to temperature quickly – and that means hitting 1000 degrees Fahrenheit (or nearly 550 Celsius if, like me, that’s how you calculate things).

As to those pizzas, one of us took the day’s special – toppings of morels, asparagus and cheese. No tomato sauce. It’s a very thin affair, not overloaded with the toppings, so the taste of the base isn’t lost. As mentioned, it’s cooked quickly so the dough is crispy but still nicely chewy. They make a point of saying they cook pizza in the Neapolitan style, so the centre is not quite set and they recommend eating it with a knife and fork. I’m British so I never consider eating pizza any other way. This is just excellent – absolutely bang-on for seasonality. I rather missed having a tomato sauce though.

My partner ordered the lunch special. That’s a small (8 inch) pizza) with a side salad. Margherita was one of four available as the special. A pretty much perfect balance of classic flavours here – good tomato sauce, spiked quite heavily with basil. Salad was good as well – leaves together with thin shavings of fennel, radish & carrot.

There was no need for dessert – other than greed. And greed is always going to get the better of both if us if cannolo is on the menu. This was an excellent version – crisp, tasty pastry, stuffed with slightly sweetened ricotta with a decent hint of orange and a decorative sprinkle of chocolate.