“Tiny gem of a campground; great for families”
Review of DAR State Forest

DAR State Forest
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Goshen
Reviewed 6 July 2017

This was our second visit to this camp; we stayed here five years ago and decided to return when we wanted a base for exploring the Berkshires. The campgrounds occupy a small portion of the state forest, which has many hiking trails. The dishwashing facilities (a large sink with hot and cold water, located near the restrooms) was the attraction for us--not many campgrounds in the US have these. To our pleasant surprise, the restrooms seem to have been redone, they seemed much cleaner than five years ago. The beach also seemed cleaner than before. The campsites near the showers are more crowded; if you don't mind not being too close to the showers, stay in another loop (also with its own restroom facilities). The view from the fire tower is beautiful!

1  Thank Agnes Q
in 15 reviews
"tent"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 22 February 2017

The best time to visit this forest is off season if you like the quiet. The trails are beautiful the fishing is great and area is wonderful. They have a handicapped accessible trail with a scenic dock for fishing and hanging out on for wheelchairs. THe campers beach is great and not very crowded, while the public beach can be a bit overcrowded during the hottest days. They have a great group campsite far away from the crowds, but without the great swimming area. The hike to the fire tower is moderate to easy and worth the views from the top. Winter is a great time for a hiking, cross country skiing, snowmobiling and being in nature.

Reviewed 8 November 2016

This is about 20 minutes from my sister's home though she had never been there. I went at the beginning of October on a Monday afternoon and I ran into a few other walkers and a couple of kayakers. There are several walking trails. I chose the one next to Upper Highland Lake. The trail was well marked and flat. There are plenty of places to stop and enjoy the woods and the water. It was just what I needed on a warm sunny afternoon.

Next time I will bring my kayak.

Reviewed 18 October 2016 via mobile

Wonderful hiking trails, including great views from a fire tower. Swimming in summer and easy camping. Beautiful facility. Love this park.

See more reviews
Reviewed 30 August 2016

Overall I was pleased with the facilities at this park. The bathrooms clearly have been renovated and are now definitely a step up from those of many other old parks. The lake is beautiful and I certainly wished I had brought a kayak! There are two beaches: the one for campers is often quieter and is quite pleasant later in the day when the sun shines strongly there (while the main beach is entering shade). Impressively each site is equipped with a bear box. Optionally, you might consider bringing a padlock but I doubt food theft by other campers is much of a problem.

I had reserved site 11 . . . clearly a mistake as there is NO level spot there for a tent. You might do OK there with a small camper vehicle as part of the driveway wasn't too bad. Fortunately, despite the park being crowded, they managed to find another site for us which worked out well.

My main gripe has nothing to do with the park at all. It's Reserve America. For a $17 campsite I had to pay $25 . . . yes, I paid a fee of about $8 to a monopoly. I hope in the future states will wise up and add other options, or this site is just going to sour the process of camping for all of us.

1  Thank SemiLuckyTraveler