Review Highlights
Favorite Park in Western MA

This is hands down my favorite park in Western MA and one of my favorite outdoor spots in Western... read more

Reviewed 3 May 2018
ReeceLiang
New York City, New York
Don't let the name fool you

Despite the unfortunate name, this place is idyllic and lovely. The large, quiet lake allows... read more

Reviewed 4 September 2017
Mike L
Northampton, Massachusetts

All reviews hiking trails fire tower state forest great for families beautiful campground campsite camping sites fishing picnic parks ma loop bundle nature outing activity
Reviewed 8 November 2016

This is about 20 minutes from my sister's home though she had never been there. I went at the beginning of October on a Monday afternoon and I ran into a few other walkers and a couple of kayakers. There are several walking trails. I chose the one next to Upper Highland Lake. The trail was well marked and flat. There are plenty of places to stop and enjoy the woods and the water. It was just what I needed on a warm sunny afternoon.

Next time I will bring my kayak.

Date of experience: October 2016
1  Thank Wildflower01945
Reviewed 18 October 2016 via mobile

Wonderful hiking trails, including great views from a fire tower. Swimming in summer and easy camping. Beautiful facility. Love this park.

1  Thank caroll973
Reviewed 30 August 2016

Overall I was pleased with the facilities at this park. The bathrooms clearly have been renovated and are now definitely a step up from those of many other old parks. The lake is beautiful and I certainly wished I had brought a kayak! There are two beaches: the one for campers is often quieter and is quite pleasant later in the day when the sun shines strongly there (while the main beach is entering shade). Impressively each site is equipped with a bear box. Optionally, you might consider bringing a padlock but I doubt food theft by other campers is much of a problem.

I had reserved site 11 . . . clearly a mistake as there is NO level spot there for a tent. You might do OK there with a small camper vehicle as part of the driveway wasn't too bad. Fortunately, despite the park being crowded, they managed to find another site for us which worked out well.

My main gripe has nothing to do with the park at all. It's Reserve America. For a $17 campsite I had to pay $25 . . . yes, I paid a fee of about $8 to a monopoly. I hope in the future states will wise up and add other options, or this site is just going to sour the process of camping for all of us.

4  Thank SemiLuckyTraveler
Reviewed 22 August 2016 via mobile

Kudos to the staff and management . Everything from the campgrounds to the restrooms were about as spotless as possible . Sites are well spaced . Not suited for large RVs but some plenty large enough for pop ups or smaller trailers. Plan ahead if you think you might have a size issue so you can get an appropriate site. Very busy in weekends. Very busy on weekends. Two ponds for kayaking or canoeing. Small beaches plenty safe for kids. Smart trout though. One was circling me while wading but he would have none of what I was offering. Upper pond stocked with rainbows in the Spring . A Massachusetts fishing regs in effect including licensing requirements. Also mass prohibits lead in small sinkers and en tackle. Local store in Goshen has supplies including lead free sinkers as well as bait. There is a full grocery store in Williamsburg .

Lots of hiking trails from flat easy to some that are going to make you work out. Grow

1  Thank ctjustdoit
Reviewed 28 June 2016

Beautiful! The air is about 10 degrees cooler, and the activities are endless. Swiming in the very clean Lake, picnicing in the day use area, a handicap accessible trail complete with dock and gazebo, camping, hiking and an awesome Nature center.

Date of experience: June 2016