“Stay elsewhere...”

Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Gloucester
Gulfport, FL
“Stay elsewhere...”
Reviewed 12 September 2011

First of all when I checked into the motel the desk clerk tried charging me more than what I was quoted on the initial reservation. I showed him the price I was given and the confirmation number. He told me there was nothing he could do, I told him, ywe there was, call the Manager that gave me that price. After a brief phone conversation the Manager told the clerk to give the price I was quoted.
So after that fiascal, I open the door to my room and I was disgusted by what I saw. Bare worn (I think red) carpet, old furniture, and a large old tv bolted to the desk. I checked for bed bugs, but didn't see any. The entire town was booked that weekend, so I was stuck. I did end up with a rash on my ankles a couple days later.. coinsidence? I think not. This motel was probably nice 40 years ago, but needs major improvements now.

Room Tip: Check out reviews, and pay a little extra for a better place.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
10 Thank JJSJR
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Rockport, Massachusetts
Reviewed 25 August 2011

My husband, our Basset Hound & I stayed at Captain's Lodge July & August and liked the whole stay there. We stayed there last year for the same amount of time and all of the staff was great. We really don't like to be catered to and prefer being alone. We had an effeciency with fridge, stove and microwave & everything worked properly. I have no complaints at all. The pool is nice and clean and we could open the front & back doors to get a good breeze.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Cheryl D
Reviewed 24 August 2011

Excellent location. Quiet clean rooms. Great service. Will stay here again next year on my vacation

• Stayed August 2011
Forest Hills, New York
Reviewed 23 August 2011

Friends booked this motel for a group whale watching, kayaking weekend. I had read the reviews prior to our stay, thanks to tripadvisor, I was prepared and not surprised.
First the positive: Warm, clean, welcoming pool in a sunny location. Pet friendly. Two minute drive to town. Can walk to Dunkin Donuts, grocery store. Air-conditioner worked great. Rooms have a front door and a back door for cross ventilation that really came in handy for the negative issues: Very musty rooms. Room smelled of mold and tobacco. If you are a smoker, it may be worth requesting a non-smoking room and smoke outside. We do not smoke and there were no non-smoking rooms available. We had all the sheets, blankets and comforter changed, aired out the room and it helped a little. The motel kept running out of towels and no towels are provided pool side. One morning a had to use my hand towel to dry off. Our friends room was not cleaned for two days and they were not given any clean towels. This occurred the second day even after we reported this to the owner the first day the room was not cleaned. The mattress was old and slanted to the middle. The entire motel needs an overhaul, new everything is needed.
Amenities are basic. TV, air-conditioner, bed. No blow drier, no iron, no closet or hooks to hang clothing. Some rooms had frig. and microwave but friend said the microwave did not work.The on-site coffee shop was closed and no tea or coffee is offered by the front desk. Sadly I cannot recommend this motel.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
7 Thank Gershwin12

Travellers are raving about these Gloucester hotels

Reading Pa
Reviewed 15 August 2011

We were going fishing in the area and a few of us guys needed a place to flop the night before. We didn't need a fancy place as it wasn't necessary but I'd never take a family or my wife there for a vacation. We got 2 rooms and both were musty and smelled we opend up the few windows they had started the AC and went out to eat. Knowing what we were coming back to we each had an extra drink to numb the senses some. The motel was dated and needed a complete redo in my opinion.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank MTHammer1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gloucester
2.4 km away
0.6 km away
Sea Lion Motel
Sea Lion Motel
#5 of 7 in Gloucester

Been to The Captain's Lodge? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK