“Lovely Valentine's Eve dinner”
Review of Tonno Restaurant

Tonno Restaurant
Ranked #13 of 149 Restaurants in Gloucester
Reviewed 16 February 2017

Updated atmosphere with remaining granite walls left from the original exterior. This used to be the old Blackburn Tavern. The bar at the back of the restaurant is buzzing but it is not too loud. I had to ask the waitstaff to turn down the lighting though. Can lights in the ceiling can be glaring to your eyes. The food was delish. Liked the ciabatta rolls served as we were seated with olive oil poured by the waiter. It was a nice touch but the oil could have been enriched with some tapenade or red pepper flakes. Why not be creative at the beginning? It was hard not to turn down a fresh homemade pasta dish on a cold February night... and the bolognese was one of the best ever. The pasta was a flat and thick-like fettuccine called tagliatelle that was tender and light and perfectly cooked and tossed with a delicious bolognese. It wasn't heavy on meat but very rich with perhaps some cream added to it. Try the gem salad... several larger crisp romaine leaves were made delicious with a light dressing, flakes of parmesan and hard salami slivers. Hoping that Tonno can keep that lovely atmosphere.. not too loud with a reasonable priced quality menu.

Reviewed 15 February 2017

My wife and I celebrated Valentine's Day at Tonno's in Gloucester, and were not disappointed. We made reservations and arrived for an early sitting and were welcomed by our friendly server, who showed us the daily specials as well as the menu. They offer a filtered water as well as the sparkling ones, which is a refreshing start. The menus are printed like they are a chalk on slate list, a nice artistic touch. Tonno's has a full wine list with both domestic and Italian choices, as well as cocktail selections and craft beers (both on tap and in bottles.) The server brought hot bread and poured olive oil on to a plate which we dipped the bread. I started with their speciality Negroni made with gin, Campari, and barrel aged Antica sweet vermouth and a twist of orange; delightful. We split a very generous portion of a salad that included gem lettuce, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, and very thinly sliced salami. They make their own pasta, so my wife opted for the Tagliatelle Bolognese and I selected the Rigatoni with cheese; both were delicious and prepared well. For wine, she ordered the Greystone cabernet from California and I had the Tuscan red from Montepulciano, both reasonably priced by the glass and full of flavor. We were too full for dessert, but we definitely will return. A couple of TA reviews said Tonno's was noisy, but we were able to have a romantic evening without distraction. In fact, what we thought was great background music at a low level was actually a singer and keyboardist near the door. The lights were low, the music was in the background, and the food and service were great, even on a sold out Valentine's Day night. Grazie, Tonno's; we look forward to returning again!

1  Thank Spurjet
Reviewed 14 February 2017 via mobile

I love what they did with the decor. It is very chic.
I have eaten there several times and every time I have enjoyed my food.

Reviewed 30 January 2017

Slow service. Party of 5. Two dishes were served cold. A bit expensive....especially the wine. Beautiful room. My veal dish was just ok....

Reviewed 28 January 2017

Last night at Tonno, my husband had what he calls an amazing pork chop (and he's not a pork fan), with potatoes and vinegar peppers. The chop was brined. I had pan-seared, perfectly cooked (not-one-second-more-than-they-needed) scallops with a roast-cauliflower puree and fried-crispy snips of pancetta. It was simply delicious. In addition, he had an amazing, satisfying, spiced octopus appetizer over acini di pepe in tomato broth, and I had a tuna carpaccio with fresh chives and shavings of Fresno chile pepper, just dotted with a fabulous citrus vinaigrette. Yum. Prices for entrees (secondi) were $25 to $38. Apps range from $4 for olives to $16 for an Italian meat sampler.

1  Thank Sarah_the_F00die