“Older Hampton -- Watch for excessive phone fees!”

Hampton Inn New Bedford / Fairhaven
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Fairhaven
Reviewed 23 July 2011

This is an older Hampton, but it is still in good condition and met most of my expectations for a property of this type. The room was clean, breakfast was standard for a Hampton, and it’s a pretty nice place overall. However, there are some things that prevent me from giving a review any better than average. First, the A/C in my room mysteriously stopped working overnight during my first night. The thermostat on the wall simply went dead and the A/C stopped. I told the housekeeping and they overrode the system from on the unit for the last two days. That helped considering it was mid-July and temperatures were over 90 for my entire stay. But, my biggest beef regards the excessive phone fees that they are charging. When I got my bill at checkout, I found that they charged me $2.05 per call for using the room phone to make 1-800 number calls. I've been to other hotels that might charge between 25 cents and $1 per call, but it is always clearly spelled out ahead of time. I saw nothing whatsoever about this--nothing written on the phone or told to me at the front desk. All Hamptons that I have been to prior had free local and 1-800 calling. And at $2.05 a pop, they must be making a profit of about $2.00.
I’d recommend the place to others because there are so many bad places, and Hampton is never one of them. But, for the most part, it is simply an average hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
hartleyj, General Manager at Hampton Inn New Bedford / Fairhaven, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2011

Thank You so much for taking the time to review our hotel! Feedback like yours is invaluable in our effort to make our guests' experience here the best that it can be. I do apologize that phone fees appeared on your bill, we do not charge for 800 number calls or any local calls but ocassionally our call accounting system logs them and when that happens we adjust them off. I would like to take care of that for you, please feel free to contact me directly to resolve that matter. Thank you again for staying with us.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 11 October 2010

We have stayed here before. Last stay was Memorial Day. At that time, they did not have the room we liked, - 339. This time they did. It is a 2.5 room suite with a great Jacuzzi tub. The cost of the suite was $157, - Honors Club [AAA]. Service was great, room was SUPER, and breakfast is nice because of the waffle maker. Some people complain about the waffle maker, but I have found that those who complain are those who do not "read the directions". The room was great, sofa and chair and table in the living room, with a TV. That is great because my wife and I like different programs. Clean, and better than other hotels until you get up to the Marriot vintage Concierge Level. As usually we had a nice place to stay while we went to the Faire.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 September 2010

My husband & I only had a feww days to getaway this summer, I chose the Hampton Inn in Fairhaven because the places I wanted to stay, Cape Cod etc... were way too high priced. This Hampton Inn was wonderful! The price was about $110. per night. This also includes breakfaast weach morning of your stay! We were two minutes from the beach, and very close to the cape. We drove to Plymouth, which was only about a 30 min. drive, and went Whale Watching. I don't have one complaint about this trip. For the short amount of time we were there, we saw just about everything we wanted to without it costing us alot for the room. It was wonderful.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mlinnas62
Reviewed 6 July 2010

I've stayed at this Hampton Inn for several years over 4th of July weekend. It's not bad, but other stays here have been better. I think they modified the air conditioning since my last stay, since I couldn't get the a/c fan to stay on all night. Saving energy is commendable, but after spending the day outside listening to music at Summerfest, I want to be able to stay cool in my hotel room. I thought the nightly rate even with the senior discount ($135) was a bit pricey, especially since the guest who stayed in the room the previous night only paid $95 (she left her bill on the floor and housekeeping never picked it up). The place is clean, but nothing special.

Like another reviewer here, I found myself in a handicapped room (Room 127). It's was in the middle of a corridor halfway between the exit to the parking lot and the front lobby. I can see how a person with mobility problems could find it difficult to cope with this room -- not the room itself, but in the distances between the room and other hotel facilities. Also, if you are not handicapped, you may find a bit of adjustment is necessary in the bathroom. The toilet is a few inches higher than normal, and if you're short your feet may not touch the ground!

There's free wi-fi in the rooms, but I found it a bit difficult to log on. it took a few attempts before I got on the hotel's network.

If you are coming off I-195 and haven't been here before, this hotel may be a bit difficult to find. There are signs pointing the way from the highway, but there's no sign at the driveway that leads to the hotel's front entrance. The front door is obscured by trees and not visible from the main street at night (or in the daytime if you're not paying attention). It's easy to drive by. If you go past a closed Papa John's Pizza you've gone too far.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 June 2010

We stay here for a four or five day Memorial Day weekend. We have stayed here for five years now.

It is a good middle cost hotel. This year we opted for a regular room rather than a two room suite. It was fine. Normally the bargin is the AAA weekend getaway suite for Memorial Day but all were booked before we called.

This year was good and we would return. One morning, when the regular hostess for the breakfast was off, so was the breakfast. The one saver is always the waffle maker. I am not sure where they get it, but it is great. If my children were not grown, I would fine one for home. Makes great waffles.

The cost vs the type and style of the hotel, makes this a great place to stay, and it is close to the Cape Cod Canal, great fishing there.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fairhaven
3.4 km away
19.5 km away
Hampton Inn Fall River/Westport
19.0 km away
TownePlace Suites Wareham Buzzards Bay

Been to Hampton Inn New Bedford / Fairhaven? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK