“Great Clams”

Price range: US$ 10 - US$ 30
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Description: "Best Waterfront Seafood Shack"- USA Today "Best Restaurant in New England" about.com Readers Serving fresh award-winning seafood for over 100 years! Chubby and Bessie Woodman invented the fried clam back in 1916 Casual, family-friendly atmosphere. Gluten-free, seafood, chowder and more. Fried clams, scallops, shrimp, steamers, boiled lobster, lobster rolls plus burgers and chicken as non-seafood choices. Full Bar, Seasonal Raw Bar Catering throughout New England Shipping across the USA
Reviewed 29 September 2017

Great clams and large portions. I was unable to finish my fries. The clams went first and then I finished off the onion rings but couldn't make it through the fries. My only complaint is that the ordering of the food is separate from ordering the drinks and $2.25 for a very small diet coke with ice is a little steep.

Reviewed 25 September 2017

Deep Fried seafood in old school style restaurant. No the healthiest of seafood places, but it was packed. We shared a fried clam plate that included onion rings (nice) and chips (french fries) not the best. Average enough chipper if you ask me.

Reviewed 24 September 2017

I haven't been in such a dirty restaurant in a long time. There was food all over the floor, sticky tables, and really greasy food. I can't believe how much it cost. I generally like fried seafood spots like this, but I was appalled.

2  Thank Maymomvt
Rhonda W, Owner at Woodman's of Essex, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2017

Oh my... I looked on the calendar and September 24th was the Sunday where for a few hours we only had one tableclearer on the staff and short in other areas as well. I ended up coming in to help out it was just one of those crazy days that most businesses face now and then. We do apoligize and please know this is by far not the norm.

Reviewed 21 September 2017 via mobile

We have heard about Woodman's for years but only travel north occasionally. This time we made a point of visiting and trying the whole belly clams they are known for. My wife had a bowl of chowder and nibbled off my overloaded platter. It was delicious and the onion rings and fries went so well with it. Since we live in Florida we may need to plan another trip north in the spring.

Reviewed 16 September 2017

Being from New England, I have eaten at many seafood establishments, and Woodman's tops every single one of them hands down. Recently my mom and I decided to try and compare several of the best known seafood restaurants around Ipswich, Essex and Gloucester. We pretty much always share a seafood platter and sometimes a chowder or appetizer. The Down East Seafood Platter at Woodman's was not only the most generous in portions (a mountain of clams, shrimp, scallops, fish, french fries and onion rings), but also of value. We found Woodman's to be number one in our own taste test as well. There was a light, pleasant tasting batter which was clean (not greasy), and did not overpower the incredibly fresh seafood. The atmosphere and location is also perfect. Huge amount of dining space and plentiful free parking (unlike many of the others), so no worry about finding a table once the order is placed. The smell of the ocean air also adds to the ambiance. Needless to say, I will be back to eat here many times in the future, and recommend Woodman's very highly for locals and travelers alike.