All reviews front lawn breakfast basket store our bikes bed was very comfortable martha's vineyard oats bike rack could not have been more beautiful room perfect spot place to stay fresh fruit lighthouse beach king room hotel is located fire pit every morning
Reviewed 2 November 2018

We were there off-season, so it was quiet. The hotel is in charming Edgartown, beautifully decorated, with great public spaces indoor and out on a small scale. The bed was very comfortable (great linens) and the breakfast was outstanding. There were much-appreciated personal touches. Highly recommended.

Date of stay: October 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 9 October 2018 via mobile

I stayed at The Sydney during the Martha's Vineyard African American Film Festival in August 2018. I stayed the weekend between August 10-12, 2018. The hotel is located in Edgartown conveniently close to many shops and restaurants.

The room was very spacious and had new showers and appliances. I was greeted with a warm chocolate chip cookie and a welcome note. The television was equipped with NetFlix. I was able to watch all of my shows. The privacy blinds were a nice touch to keep out the sunlight. There was ample parking if you drive. There's also nice seating areas for conversations with other guests or to just enjoy the ambiance.

Breakfast was so wonderful! I'll post a picture of the spread. The food was fresh. My favorite was the variety of teas and the overnight oats with fruit. There was fresh fruit, eggs, oatmeal, yogurt and homemade blueberry and chocolate chip scones. The coffee was so fresh and there was a selection of milk and creamers.

Transportation: Departing from the airport their were taxis right outside that drove us to Edgartown in groups. The ride seemed to be no longer than 15-20 mins. I was dropped off on the corner and it was an easy walk to the front door. When I left I caught a local taxi called by the front desk. I easily used Lyft/Uber to get around the Island and there were local buses that were inexpensive and convenient.

Arrival: I believe the entrance and the facilities where I stayed were new. I see in previous reviews there wasn't a front desk. The arrival instructions (need to be updated) still had the old location and the lock box details. I discovered there's an entrance with a Front Desk agent and another entrance where the lock box is located. Both locations are right next door to each other. Once I found the right entrance, I checked in with the front desk agent. She was friendly and available for questions throughout my stay. I also met the Manager of the property who was also friendly and welcoming.

Overall stay: This hotel was very peaceful. It's confidently located to all the local shops and great restaurants. I was able to easily walk to the lighthouse. The quality of the rooms, the breakfast and the hospitality was far worth the cost of the stay. I loved that I could book just the weekend. My full room deposit was due upfront but that seems standard for Martha's Vineyard properties. Overall it was a delightful stay. I'd book this hotel again and suggest it to others. My favorite part was the breakfast!

Trip type: Travelled solo
Abbey H, Public Relations Manager at The Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2018

Wow - we are so glad that you were able to enjoy so many aspects of your stay with us! From the warm chocolate chip cookies to your spacious room, the wonderful breakfast spread, and the fantastic location, it sounds like your stay was all that you were hoping for. We would love to see you again for another delightful stay in Edgartown!

Reviewed 8 October 2018 via mobile

What a great treat this was. Last minute Columbus Day my wife and I decided to head to the Vineyard with the kids. The hotel was very accommodating and worked with us to free up a room. We’ve been to the Vineyard many times and even eaten at the hotel’s restaurant (which is great) but this was our first stay. Probably our favorite hotel on the Vineyard. Great location in Edgartown. Very chic but accessible/comfortable decor. Bed was very comfortable; I never call out other reviews but the complaints about linens confuses me as ours were terrific. Breakfast was outstanding as well; the one thing to note though is that if you are traveling with picky eaters (like our kids) you may have to allow for a second breakfast! But having said that, they had numerous options and all were terrific. The 24hr beverage bar itself had great options as well. We look forward to our return and were sorry we couldn’t stay longer!

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
Abbey H, Public Relations Manager at The Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2018

We love that you not only decided to head out on a last minute getaway but ended up choosing The Sydney and Edgartown as your destination! So glad that we were able to accommodate you and that you found our hotel to be both chic and comfortable, enjoyed the fantastic breakfast (so glad that that options allowed for everyone to be satisfied!) and we do hope you had time to enjoy all that the island has to offer. We're hopeful to welcome you all back soon for an even longer getaway!

Reviewed 19 September 2018 via mobile

It started well but ended poorly. The hotel seems nice a new but don't look to carefully. My room had broken, stained a torn items and the hotel is supposedly 2 months old. The caretaker seemed great at first and then there was an awful fire alarm which she was screaming and questioning a elderly couple in front of the whole courtyard about if the used an spray or candle. You could tell the were embarrassed by her accusations. When we ask what happened she said it was an alarm. Really, it was over 40 minutes of a screaming alarm at 8am. Side note do not trust they will get back to you on your account...I found a mistake on mine, spoke to the Clark on duty. He said it would be handled. Then returning home emailed and called with resolution.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Abbey H, Public Relations Manager at The Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2018

We’re dismayed to hear of your disappointing experience while staying with us but are happy to hear that it sounds like a resolution was found. Although completely unforeseen, we understand your frustration with the fire alarm and certainly apologize for the inconvenience. While it’s possible there may have been a sense of chaos given the situation and our manager did approach a guest in regards to the alarm, we find it hard to believe that they would be so sharp in her conversation with those guests. We would certainly love if you would give us a second chance, as we’d love the opportunity to show you just how wonderful a stay with us can be.

Reviewed 2 September 2018 via mobile

I spent four days visiting gorgeous Martha’s Vineyard. Edgartown is a picture perfect slither
of a very imperfect World. The Sydney was centrally located ~ I had no car + relied on my feet + the local bus which provided an excellent service to all parts of the Island for $2.50 a ride + was situated 50 metres away. My room was in the new part of the complex + looked out onto a peaceful leafy green park. The room itself was spacious + clean but I felt very let down by the ghastly synthetic linen on the bed ~ I had never slept in synthetic sheets + hopefully never experience them again ~ comfort starts with the bed linen ~ 100% Egyptian cotton. I believed cotton + linen would have been the preferred fabrics representing the flavour of the area + not synthetic everything ~ seriously? This is not an inexpensive place to stay.
The breakfast was delicious. The Manager was pretty uptight most of the time. I guess I’m fussy but I expected more taste. Next year I’ll find an alternative.

Trip type: Travelled solo
Abbey H, Public Relations Manager at The Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2018

While it certainly sounds like you took full advantage of our central location and we are so glad that you so enjoyed walking around our wonderful town, as well as the delicious breakfast offerings at The Sydney, we're disappointed that your stay with us was not what you were expecting. Many guests rave about our comfortable bed and soft linens but we can understand that everyone's taste is different - our bedding is, in fact, a soft linen and not a synthetic material. We'd love if you gave us another try!