All reviews sitting area martha's vineyard scones hot water granola the main house b bs great suggestions main st bit dated another guest breakfast is served first floor egg dishes each morning mini fridge perfect location
Reviewed 28 September 2018

My husband and I recently stayed at the Ashley Inn and were pretty disappointed with the quality of this place. The lobby was comfortable enough, but the rooms were pretty dated! The wallpaper needed replacing, and in all honesty the rooms could stand a thorough cleaning! (another couple who stayed there mentioned they had holes in their wall) The furniture in our room (and I realize it's mostly antique) was also in need of repair! Also, after the first night, we realized that the water glasses that were initially in the room, with bottles of water, would not be replaced with new ones - and no new bottled water either! The mattress we had was just okay, and the sheets were never changed during our 4 night stay! We did get clean towels! The breakfast was pretty good, but would rank last when compared to other B&B's I've stayed at! And don't expect much when it comes to extras after breakfast is over! There's very little coffee or hot water left out to have later in the evening, and no milk or cream! Overall, I probably wouldn't recommend this place to friends unless some updating is done! Especially at the price we paid!

Room tip: Our room was quiet enough, but we also had a loud window a/c unit running most of the time!
Date of stay: August 2018
Reviewed 6 August 2018

In coming to Martha's Vineyard for an early August wedding at the Harborview Hotel and Lighthouse, we had a number of options. Most, like the host hotel, were rather expensive, and as we learned later from wedding guests who stayed there, not worth the extra investment beyond the location on the wedding premises. The scores of home rentals on the island seemed remote and risky. We ultimately settled on the Ashley Inn and were glad we did.
With 3 couples, we had one seeking budget, one seeking mid-range, and my wife and I seeking a King suite, and Fred the Innkeeper/Owner for 35 years accommodated us all. The rooms were larger than we feared, and the King Suite we had on the 3rd floor was very large with a living room area with a sofa and TV, mini-fridge, and TV/King bed as well. The en suite bathroom had a tub and shower, and everything was clean and well maintained, despite being built in the 1860s.
Breakfast was a step above many B&Bs, with not only the expected pastries, coffee, and juice, but also homemade granola and two hot varying options daily like ham and cheese omelettes or strawberry waffles, all served to you by the Inn's cheerful and helpful staff.
Edgartown was unusually hot when we visited, so we had to borrow a floor fan from Fred to help our window AC unit cover our large suite, but our kids' rooms were plenty cool from their air units. The free wifi reached all the way to the 3rd floor.
Best of all, the location on main street is good, close to town yet not in the midst of the crazy crowds. We walked to and from the shops and harbor many times in 10 minutes each way.
It is not the Ritz, the furniture is a little dated, and there is no elevator so you will be lugging your bags up a classic Victorian style staircase, but as far as B&Bs go, this is a solid choice owned by a man who clearly cares about ensuring his guests have a great time. I recommend it!

Room tip: Room 10 on the 3rd Floor is worth the extra investment if you want some room and/or need to set up a crib.
Date of stay: August 2018
Reviewed 25 June 2018

There are very pleasant sitting areas both inside and outside the inn. There is wallpaper and furnishings that add to the charm. Sometimes "charm" means smaller bathrooms or other inconveniences but if you accept those for the sake of a great location and very friendly service, you will be happy here. Just walk down Main Street to the harbor and the many bars, restaurants, shops and galleries.
Breakfast is served every day at the inn and not just a continental. They offer a different egg dish daily as well as pancakes, granola, yogurt, etc. There is a plate of scones and muffins too.

Date of stay: June 2018
1  Thank JackX729
Reviewed 25 June 2018 via mobile

This is a beautifully appointed inn in the perfect location on Main St. The furnishing on the first floor are so inviting and our room was also.
Fred, the Inn keeper, is charming and very helpful.
Breakfast is generous and well done.
The only thing that keeps me from giving 5 is that the rooms on the 2nd and 3 floors are up steep steps. However, there are first floor rooms and I didn’t know it when I made the reservation.
If we return to the Vineyard, this is the place I would stay again!
Charming

Date of stay: June 2018
Reviewed 11 June 2018 via mobile

My recent stay at the Ashley Inn exceeded all of my expectations. The owners and staff are some of the kindest people you will ever meet. The rooms and common areas are cozy and inviting; just the way an old vineyard inn should feel. Local Edgartown artwork adornes the walls and the entire place is very thoughtfully decorated. I highly recommend the Ashley Inn for your next island visit.

Date of stay: April 2018