“Fish Tacos, nice people, & no styrofoam!”

Captain Jack's Roadside Shack
Ranked #11 of 49 Restaurants in Easthampton
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 25 September 2015

I love their fish tacos and their fries. I've tried fish tacos other places, but no one makes them like Captain Jack's. I always look forward to the first one of the year... and if I feel like treating myself to a takeout lunch, it's Jack's fish tacos! A huge plus is that the containers are NOT styrofoam. Major kudos to Captains Jack's for spending a little more to use containers that are so much better for the environment than polluting styrofoam.

3  Thank CardamomMoon

Reviewed 14 July 2015 via mobile

This establishment gets good reviews and I am always glad to see local businesses doing well but I think Captain Jack's is just ok. The clam chowder was so thin and had a weird taste and hardly resembled chowder. I had the fish & chips. Fish was pretty good, nice and white, slightly dry but overall I was satisfied with it. The French fries were wilted and greasy and they give you so so many I couldn't come close to finishing. I may return but will try something else on the menu.

Reviewed 14 July 2015

Great fries and whole belly clams!! Can't wait to return and see what else is in store. Looks like onion rings are a big hit with others.

Reviewed 7 July 2015

I'll admit I am always looking for value, and that is not easy to find on Jack's extensive menu. A menu full of traps. Jack did reduce his lobster roll from $19 to $17 after reading complaints here. $15 would be more than fully priced. (New England has had very good lobster harvests the last couple years. And if I want to eat lobster, or fried oysters, etc., I don't want a big roll getting in the way.

Three bucks for a $1.50 corn dog? That is off by 100%. Nice profit margin.
What? Gormet corndog? Don't think so. Hell, it is only $2.50 at the Iowa State Fair.

We took home fried fish, fries, onion "rings".
I'll directly address the last. They are NOT rings and the words "onion" & "ring" ought not be on the menu - it is clearly deceptive. They are what some call "straws" - not much other than deep-fried, tasteless, crispness. Impossible to know if there is even any onion in there.

Fries - this is a tough one because I don't want to be harsh. The order was just coming out when we arrived, so they didn't sit around waiting for us. Trip home was not a minute over ten minutes.
But fries were already soggy and unappealing. Most were thrown out.
Fried fish was okay, though, like the fries, the fried coating suffered on the ten minute trip home. No cocktail sauce and too little tarter sauce. (I have a bottle of wine vinegar, but others complained about condiments.)

Clearly, the best approach is to grab your grub and sit there at a picnic table. Bring your own pop, wine, or beer. IF it is nice weather. Of course, annually, that is hard to do 75% of the time.
I don't know, but I imagine Jack must have a shack in Florida for 5-6 months a year.

On the web site, the menu is very abbreviated, featuring maybe 20% of the whole menu, and I didn't find much help on Facebook.

On the red paper 3'x5' menu available at the counter, the price of 9 of the 11 seafood items is listed as "mrkt". That means you have to ask price. That includes "Fish Sandwich" and "Just [fried] Fish". Wait. That would seem to indicate frequent delivery of fresh seafood, like up-scale restaurants That could be the case, but my guess is that all seafood is frozen, not fresh.
I could be wrong. But surely "fresh" is what "mrkt" price implies.

Almost all customers must live close-by. If I lived close-by, I would study the menu, study the (changing) prices, and shop carefully, and cautiously at Jacks. I would also demand more transparency. This can be grossly overpriced.

If Jack was really a Captain, I suspect it was U.S. Army, not a boat.

2  Thank rugular-guy
Reviewed 30 June 2015 via mobile

We found this place very greased and smelled unfiltered old frying oils and the food was soggy oily and very over fried the smell and tables were nasty seems it needs a board of health visit