My grown daughters and I wanted a little bonding time on the Cape for a few days and The Ships Knees in Orleans seemed the perfect place to do it. I went to their web site and booked us two rooms for three days. Upon arrival. we were all excited as the Inn looked lovely. But when I went to check in, the nightmare began. Apparently, we weren't staying at The Ships Knees at all. but at their sister propery, The Cove. I argued that I did not make a reservation at The Cove. Even the confirmation they sent me included a brochure and postcard from The Ship's Knees! Well, there was "no room at the inn" so with the promise that her husband would call me, we went to the Cove.
It turned out to be a converted house with only 3 guest rooms. Mattresses hard as a board, dirty looking bathrooms, decorations from the 60's.......not a place we wanted to spend a vacation. Later that afternoon, the owner did call me with a very defensive attitude. This "has never happened before" and it wasn't his fault!!!!! I argued that I had booked a room at the Ritz and was sent to the Holiday Inn. Not being able to have us stay at The Inn, he asked what would make me happy and I suggested he pay for a dinner for us. Now a good business person would jump at the chance to make a customer happy and perhaps get repeat business. But no, he said we could park at his inn, drive over for breakfast and use the pool.....no skin off his back. That did NOT make us happy.
We checked out the next morning and went to The Orleans Inn for a wonderful next two nights. I don't care how lovely The Ship's Knees actually is for we never got to experience it, but I would NEVER go back to a place that cares so little about their customers.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoy the warmth and charm of a 190 year-old restored Sea Captain's home, just 1/4 mile up the hill from the world famous Nauset Beach. 17 individually appointed rooms, 15 with private bath, and 1 or 2 bedroom fully equipped ocean view "Captain's Quarter's" guest apartment. Our newest accommodation (2010) the "Nauset Suite" has a king bed, private bath and private entrance. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com and Expedia so you can book your Ship's Knees Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ship`s Knees Hotel East Orleans
- Ship's Knees Inn East Orleans, MA, United States