“Bait and switch”

Ranked #3 of 5 East Orleans B&B and Inns
North Andover, MA
“Bait and switch”
Reviewed 26 August 2005

My grown daughters and I wanted a little bonding time on the Cape for a few days and The Ships Knees in Orleans seemed the perfect place to do it. I went to their web site and booked us two rooms for three days. Upon arrival. we were all excited as the Inn looked lovely. But when I went to check in, the nightmare began. Apparently, we weren't staying at The Ships Knees at all. but at their sister propery, The Cove. I argued that I did not make a reservation at The Cove. Even the confirmation they sent me included a brochure and postcard from The Ship's Knees! Well, there was "no room at the inn" so with the promise that her husband would call me, we went to the Cove.

It turned out to be a converted house with only 3 guest rooms. Mattresses hard as a board, dirty looking bathrooms, decorations from the 60's.......not a place we wanted to spend a vacation. Later that afternoon, the owner did call me with a very defensive attitude. This "has never happened before" and it wasn't his fault!!!!! I argued that I had booked a room at the Ritz and was sent to the Holiday Inn. Not being able to have us stay at The Inn, he asked what would make me happy and I suggested he pay for a dinner for us. Now a good business person would jump at the chance to make a customer happy and perhaps get repeat business. But no, he said we could park at his inn, drive over for breakfast and use the pool.....no skin off his back. That did NOT make us happy.

We checked out the next morning and went to The Orleans Inn for a wonderful next two nights. I don't care how lovely The Ship's Knees actually is for we never got to experience it, but I would NEVER go back to a place that cares so little about their customers.

• Stayed August 2005
6 Thank TomDonnaNorthAndover
, Owner at Ship's Knees Inn, responded to this review, 22 March 2006
As relatively new owners/innkeepers (18 months)of the Ship's Knees Inn my wife and I were recently made aware of the Trip Advisor site and were surprised to learn of the comment posted by this guest. We do understand this guests anger & disappointment in her desire to stay at the inn. We felt badly that we could not offer accommodations at the inn but thought our offer of the additional use of amenities at the inn & a free night at the Cove House would satisfy her displeasure. We always encourage guests who make web based reservations to review their confirmations carefully to prevent misunderstandings or confusion in reservations. However rooms that are reserved & confirmed at our other property 3 miles away from the inn, clearly noted as such on our web site & priced at 1/2 the price of inn rooms would leave us to believe that the guest wanted to stay there. Ultimately, we are in the "people pleasing business" & our desire is exceedingly happy guests who return again and again to the inn. Unfortunately, as a small business we cannot offer carte blanche "nights out on the town" for errors not of our making, but as in this instance we always try to make amends even when the situation is clear.

We have since eliminated our guests ability to reserve "Cove House" rooms on line believing that if this situation can occur once it is possible that it could happen again. All Cove House rooms can only be reserved by email, phone or fax.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 31 May 2005

Arrived at the Ships Knees for a one night stay over Memorial Day. We have stayed extensively at Bed and Breakfast establishments up and down the east coast and were a bit disappointed. We didn't feel a very warm greeting and nobody showed us our room. I think the owners were leaving on vacation and appeared a bit distracted. The room is nice enough but the shower needs help. Every time I turned on the water, either ice cold or scalding hot water got me. The bed is comfortable and the room was very pretty with some very nice homey touches. The next morning, the breakfast was continental with a few muffins, bagels etc... Nobody greeted us good morning either which is why we like BNB's so much. We might have just caught them on a bad weekend but I doubt we would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
East Haddam, CT
Reviewed 5 December 2004

I must say that I was pleasantly surprised by my stay at the Ship's Knees Inn. We needed a place to stay just before Thanksgiving for a secret run away weekend. I was sort of apprehensive about staying there after reading 50% of the 2 reviews that were posted on this website. Considering the age of the reviews, the fact that not too many places are open year round, and the location of this Inn[we could walk to Nauset Beach]......we took a shot.
We couldn't have been more welcomed! The Inn has been recently bought out by one of the previous owners and is now being owner occupied and run on-site by the Butcher Family. We really felt like they extended their home to us and were helpful in every way without being in our faces. Our room was very ample, good shower, nice touches everywhere.[small tube of Tom's toothpaste was one of MY favorites!] The complimentary breakfast was wayyyyyyyyy more and of higher quality than we ever expected, coffee was great.
We felt like we truly made some new friends, and it was a relative bargain. Can't wait to go back.....maybe for the Christmas run away trip, or the Valentine's day escape, or Groundhog weekend. We are ready to make this our Cape Cod weekend home without the taxes. We are so confident that this is a place we can count on. Just wanted to share the Ship's Knees experience!

• Stayed November 2005
3.2 km away
Eagle Wing Inn
Eagle Wing Inn
#1 of 9 in Eastham

Been to Ship's Knees Inn? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK