“Good pub”

The Swan Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Newland
Price range: US$ 0 - US$ 21
Dining options: Reservations
Description: An exceptionally fine public house with enormous character.Real ale, Real food.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Very nice pub with your pretty standard selection of drinks and pub grub.
Loads of parking, nice atmosphere and the food was served promptly and very satisfactory.
It’s a bit out of the way which is nice, good for a midday sandwich and a pint with nice patrons.
Dog friendly.

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

After having the most amazing meal for my partner's birthday in January- fantastic food, great service from the male waiter, and generally a lovely night, we decided to come back for our anniversary meal.

We travelled an hour to get here which is how good our last visit was and my partner called in advance to ask specifically for a particular starter which they made for us last time and was divine and he explained this was a special meal for our anniversary.

When we arrived we were seated in the corner next to a huge table where kids were running around and being a disturbance - no bother as they were almost finished otherwise would've asked to move. Ordered our drinks and then a waitress approached us asking if we knew what we wanted. My partner explained that he had called in advance and requested something in particular and she noted it down. I wasn't sure she was fully understanding so I reconfirmed and she said yes - out came the incorrect starters. Not wanting to cause a scene or spoil our night we accepted them but then told another waitress about the issue who went and checked in the kitchen where she apologised that the waitress didn't bother writing it down even after we both explained it to her very clearly. This new waitress said she would have them taken off our bill which we thanked her for and asked for the original request as a side dish with our main which obviously we would pay for. She then took another drinks order for us.

Out then came our mains, followed by my drink and my partner's never arrived. It was at this point we realised we were never offered any steak sauces or anything of the sort and no one came to check on everything. My partner was really fed up at this point so just wanted to eat and go.

We then asked for the bill which we were brought and I realised the starters were never adjusted on there, as promised!

The whole night was an absolute joke and absolutely ruined the original visit which was absolutely faultless. We couldn't even excuse the fact it was overly busy because it wasn't it was just incompetence at its best.

So cheers for ruining our anniversary night. At least we had each other's company!

2  Thank Franys87
Reviewed 19 March 2018

This is a lovely old pub with a large dining area. A real bonus is that dogs are welcome. There is an extensive menu of pub meals. I opted for the chicken and stilton pie with vegetables. Strangely potatoes had to be ordered as a side dish. The veg was fine but the pie was over cooked resulting in the chicken looking as if it had been grilled and the pastry hard and tough. In contrast the pudding of apple crumble was spot on. not too sweet with the apple cooked but firm. A generous helping of custard was also appreciated

Reviewed 14 March 2018

I liked this pub. It offered good friendly service, good grub, and it was efficient. No I wasn't put off by the sign outside offering a mild warning to the parents of unruly children. In fact 'good for them' was what I thought when I saw it. It wasn't deterring children, merely seeking reasonable control and behaviour. Three cheers say I.
The pub came recommended by the landlord of the B&B where we were staying, which was pretty much immediately across the road. So much did we enjoy it, that we returned and ate there a second time.
A good range of beers, and as I say, an interesting menu, with some quirky ideas and varied styles and tastes.
I liked it. I enjoyed the food, even if one of our party had an item missed off his meal, but we were still charged an additional £2 plus for a portion of fries, in lieu of salad. A tad mean I thought, and therefore not worthy of a score of 5. Otherwise, all round excellent.

Reviewed 11 March 2018

Nine of us went to the Swan on Mothers Day, good atmosphere and the staff although young were very pleasant and helpful. They were very busy but the staff coped better than a lot of more upmarket restaurants we have been to on special occasions.
Food was very good indeed and reasonably priced. In all we had an excellent lunch and all nine of us were very pleased.
Would definitely go back again. Well done Swan !!!!!