“No Imagination”

Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Chilmark
Price range: US$ 20 - US$ 60
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Description: BYOB Tavern Serving local grown + responsibly raised ingredients from farmers + artisan producers who share our sustainable philosophy in a warm inviting dining room. -Cheers from the wettest dry tavern in America
Reviewed 29 May 2021

As perennial full-summer visitors of a certain age, we enjoy having dinner out a couple of times per week. We returned to our up-island home and were glad to see that the Tavern had just opened for the summer. Not that we were so impressed last year but essentially the menu is the same,I'm afraid, uninspired one.
Is it painful to exercise a little imagination with all the amazing cookbooks and ideas brewing among food-lovers these days? I suppose if folks are willing to pay $37 for an ordinary fish and chips entree, why extend yourself? We'll be venturing down-island to some of the newer restaurants where there's still enthusiasm for the craft of cooking.

Date of visit: May 2021
Write a reviewReviews (130)

Reviewed 31 August 2020

Because of Covid, Chilmark Tavern is only doing take out. We were there last year and had a terrific meal. We thought we would give the take out a shot.
We ordered the capellini, a Caesar salad and a rib eye steak. Everything was delicious and well portioned.
The best part is the service we got from Jenna, the owner. We were going to have to wait a half hour for an Uber to bring us back to the boat basin. Jenna saw us and volunteered to drive us back herself.
Had a wonderful meal and great service. Can’t wait to go back next year, hopefully to dine in.
Thank you, Jenna!

Date of visit: August 2020
Reviewed 10 August 2020

We made our annual visit to the Chillmark Tavern - this year for takeout only. We got the family chicken dinner. It was great- so were the brussel sprouts, beets and crunchy mix for desert. See you next year - hopefully back to normal.

Date of visit: August 2020
1  Thank scotth915
Whodoesntlovevacatio, Owner at Chilmark Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2020

Thank you so much for your kind review and your support this season. We are so please you enjoyed your 2020 TavernToGo meal and we too hope next year brings some more normal times!!! All the best, Jenna

Reviewed 18 September 2019

I hate to write bad reviews but I must admit some of the others were right about VERY pricey!
The food was okay- but not much of it.
At $44 my entree featured five small scallops on top of slaw that had no taste. My friend and I split the salad which was $21 and no lettuce just some tomatoes and other mini veggies and very little dressing. My friend had the shrimp and grits and we are from South and know good grits. She took just a few bites andd should have sent it back at $42.
My husband said his meal was okay but not worth the $44 of his entree- very small.
Worst of all- they charge $14 for corkage of a $12.99 bottle of wine!
This place has little atmosphere and service by Roman was just ok- not brilliant.
So, perhaps- going elsewhere for dinner is a better choice.

Date of visit: September 2019
Reviewed 17 September 2019

We initially liked the ambiance of the restaurant as visitors to Martha's Vineyard, but soon realized the local patrons took priority with our server. A local group of people were sat next to our table and I had to wave at our server to get his attention. Not impressed with the waiter's service whatsoever.
Secondly, I'm a former waiter for a high end restaurant back home, and the quality of food for the price was not even close. I had Fish & Chips, and i received (2) small pieces of Fried Fluke fish with fries and a small portion of cole slaw for a $37.00 plate price. The food tasted average and i expected more.
Overall, not impressed with Chilmark Tavern. It is overpriced with the value of food and service received in our one and only visit.

Date of visit: September 2019