“Chathams best”

Cuisines: American, Seafood, Contemporary, International
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 2 July 2009

We ate at the Bar last night, Our first visit, The food was fantastic, Great service, very well priced, Would recommend to anyone.

Reviewed 27 June 2009

I have just returned from a meal at this restaurant and am now sitting in my spa suite at Chatham Bars Inn awaiting room service as our meal was so awful. The fish we ordered was soaked in multiple flavours and we left over half our meals without a comment from our male server as too why. One of us for appetizer was going to order a bowl of clam chowder to be told abrupty that this would be too heavy and a cup would be more suitable: so very wrongly advised when we our sitting still hungry withour having a main course. I would never recommend anyone with a desire to have good food and sevice to go to this restaurant.

2  Thank JudithUk
Reviewed 26 June 2009

After reading some of the poor reviews recently on Tripadvisor, I was somewhat hesitant to give this restaurant a try. But there are very few restaurants in Chatham, so we decided to take a chance. . It was outstanding. I had the Bouillabaisse($33.00) and my wife had cod which she never orders. Both were spectacular. I have never seen Mussels as large as the ones in my overflowing, gigantic bowl of fish which also included lobster, oysters, clams and fish.. I took half the order home. My wife loved her cod which came over spinach in a la blanc wine sauce. The service was just fine. Granted, we had dinner early(about 5:30) and when we left the restaurant was pretty much filled. It is a small place with an upper dinning area(preferred), and a lower dinning area next to the bar. It is pricey, but in Chatham, all the restaurants are pricey. I would highly recommend it and I am surprised by some of the earlier review, especially the person who said the mussels were small.

1  Thank leop
Reviewed 24 June 2009

5 stars! Whether you want a snack at the bar or a full 3 courses this restaurant is truly spectacular!

A must for those visiting the Cape!

Reviewed 30 May 2009

After hearing and reading so many positive reviews of what is considered a stellar, landmark seafood restaurant, I was very disappointed by my meal.

I started off with the steam mussels as the menu stated they were local. When they arrived, these were the most puny, shriveled mussels I had ever seen - worse than what I can get from my local grocery store! They were so full of sand that no amount of swirling in the broth could remove all the grit.

My entree was the bouillabaisse and that was also a disappointment. The same sand filled mussels along with small, flavourless scallops had me wondering how they managed to get such bad seafood when they are located on Cape Cod and other restaurants in the area are serving fantastic seafood. The scallops tasted as if they had been previously frozen.

I finally asked the waitress about the mussels because they were so bad and she said they were from PEI. Huh? You are in Cape Cod, and instead of using local seafood you are shipping them from another country? At the very least, they should have changed the description on the menu.

My husband's meal was not much better - he didn't finish his fish as it was coated in a heavy Asian soy sauce glaze which completely masked any fish flavour.

This was the most expensive meal of our weekend trip and also the worst. I would never got back - go to Pisces of Brewster Fish House instead if you want great seafood.

4  Thank Hopping-along
oysterjp, manager at Impudent Oyster, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2009

Locally available seafood at the time of your visit does not include mussels, as local Red Tide conditions prevented us from serving that variety of shellfish. If consumed, you die. You're welcome for saving your life.