“Don't bother with this one - go to the Cambridge Friendly Toast!”
Review of The Friendly Toast

The Friendly Toast
Ranked #97 of 128 Restaurants in Burlington
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Unfortunately, this new location is just simply not as good as the Friendly Toast in Cambridge. It’s a shame, because my husband and I were so excited when we heard it was opening – we love the Friendly Toast and were looking forward to having a location closer to Arlington. However, we’ve tried the Burlington Friendly Toast several times now and have been consistently disappointed. Here’s what we don’t like:

- The food is noticeably worse – much blander, sometimes cold, and often made with mistakes (ingredients unwantedly missing or added). At first, my husband and I hoped the cooks might still be finding their footing, but it’s now been more than half a year since this location opened and the food has yet to improve.

- The service is slower (we’ve waited 30+ minutes to order every time) and ruder. During our last visit, I ordered a chocolate peanut butter frappe, and our waiter told me they couldn’t add peanut butter. I said, “Really? The kitchen here has done it for me before. Could you please ask?” He walked away without answering and then brought me a plain frappe.

- This may seem silly, but the vibe is just not as fun and cool. The retro “quirkiness” feels much more forced and corporate – it’s retro in the way that Cracker Barrel is old-timey, you know what I mean?

I don’t think we’ll be back. The Cambridge location is considerably further from our house, but the experiences are just not comparable!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

They warn you that they are an all day breakfast buffet, which is very good and necessary here in Burlington, but they are restricted to those who want something more when accompanying someone, especially in the salads, main courses and desserts! The environment reminds us of the 60s, which helps to arouse the interest of young people. By the way, it's a more youthful spot! The biggest sin: there are not even the most traditional beers ...

Reviewed 22 February 2018

I love so many things on the menu here but the sometimes the execution doesn't live up to how great the menu description sounds. it isnt that the food isn't tasty because it is, it's just that often times the subtle flavors and nuances that are in the great menu description don't come through very well on the plate. The staff is always friendly and helpful it is a tad on the pricey side.

1  Thank Don C
Reviewed 21 February 2018 via mobile

Tried this place out for a omelette, wheat toast and home fries. My fdaughter had a kids pancake. The food was good the home fries were room temperature but extremely spicy. The coffee was good but it was cold. Not sure if this place is a good fit the waitstaff was poor at best and cold food and coffee. Not a good first visit.

Reviewed 20 February 2018

I will say that the French toast was good. However, the syrup did not appear to be maple syrup. I was prepared to pay extra for some, but it was not available. I had the meatloaf melt; the spices had a funny taste which I did not like. My wife's taco party was ordered with pork to go with the mangoes but the meat was tasteless. The spicing was overdone; she expected an exciting taste but it was not. It was quite noisy. The ambience and the spicing seem to indicate that they have not settled on their audience.

1  Thank Scanner_Lewis