“As good a Cantonese Restaurant as you'll find in the DC Area”

Paul Kee Restaurant
Ranked #13 of 68 Restaurants in Wheaton
Price range: US$ 10 - US$ 15
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 15 March 2016

Normally, I don't care much for Cantonese food. Among the Chinese cuisines, I prefer the fire of Szechuan or the heartier flavor of Beijing or Shanghai. So, when a friend asked me to join him at Paul Kee's, I figured I'd merely be doing him a favor.

As it turned out, this was one of the best Chinese meals Ive had in this area. We ordered four dishes, and each one was excellent -- each was memorable in its own right. The best of all was the first one: Shrimp Dumpling Soup Hong Kong Style. There were 10 dumplings, each one large and rich, with a delicate shell. And, the broth tasted fresh, unlike other local restaurants when the broth tastes as though it had sat around for three of four days. Our second dish was two barbecued meats -- roast duck and roast pig. Be prepared -- both are fatty. But, each was cooked just right, so that the meat was soft and delicate without being overcooked. Our third dish was clams with black bean sauce. This was a risky order, since it is easy to overcook clams, and overcooked clams have the texture, consistency and taste of a pencil eraser. These were perfect -- succulent and very tasteful. Our final dish was chicken and scallops with mixed Chinese vegetables. This one had some chili pepper, my friend's concession to me. It was delicious -- and, you could clearly taste the chicken and the scallops.

Often, suburban Chinese restaurants are notorious for their surly service. We had two different waitresses, and each was polite and attentive.

Finally, the price was modest -- $50 for all that we had. It was great value. I ate too much but enjoyed every bit of it. I will return.

1  Thank ElGuap0_1

Reviewed 7 February 2016 via mobile

We used to come here a lot for the delicious Chinese banquet dinners. While the food is still really good, the service is not great, and the back hallway to the bathrooms is a mess.

1  Thank Amy W
Reviewed 20 December 2015

I've been going to this restaurant for many years, although I don't go to this area as frequently as before. I wish it was closer to home. Was impressed that the quality of the cooking has remained so good. I love the spicy shrimp with shells on and the Singapore rice noodle dishes. They give you big pieces of shrimp, and quite a few of them too! Such good value and such consistently good quality has to be commended. Unfortunately the dining room was almost empty. More people need to discover this place.

Reviewed 11 December 2015

The food is good! Shame the location is not. It is a large place and practically empty. The interior is very nice and wish they could get more business

Reviewed 3 September 2015 via mobile

We ordered the Home Style tofu with spring onions and Chicken with broccoli, egg drop soup and Hot & Sour soup.
I requested to have the same sauce on the chicken with broccoli as I find that sauce (black bean) a little more hearty and thick.. The waitress and owners know me quite well. They usually have a late staff lunch. That's also where I get my ideas of what to order and what to include or in place of base sauce to for my entree.
The home style tofu is wonderful, tofu is fresh, not leftover that it gives on the first bite not at all chewy. The broccoli crunch' with every bite with the thinly sliced chicken. Portions are a bit smaller now as I remember.. The place is almost empty, so service was quick and spirited.. The small glass case glistens with the moist glaze of roast pork and bbq'd pork with a few ducks hanging by their neck (flown in from N.Y) adorn the end of the case.. As usual a good place to have a hearty Chinese meal any time of day.. Keep on eating and traveling.. Rolly H.