“Tasty and Convenient”
Review of Mission BBQ

Mission BBQ
Ranked #18 of 471 Restaurants in Rockville
Reviewed 6 April 2018

We wanted BBQ take-out and Mission BBQ hit the mark. We ordered beef brisket, pulled pork, pulled chicken, green beans with bacon, baked beans, and mac and cheese. Each dish was delicious! And they included a bottle of barbecue sauce as well as several samples of other sauces. We got to have exactly the type of meal we wanted at a reasonable price. Will definitely go back!

Reviewed 21 March 2018

Mission BBQ is an American fast food restaurant that specializes in barbecued meats (such as brisket, pulled pork, turkey, pulled chicken, sausage, baby back ribs, spare ribs, and salmon). It is located in Wintergreen Plaza.

When you order, you can donate money to those organizations that serve to protect our lives, liberty, homes and community. In return you save a $1 off soft drinks for future visits.

Similarly to a sports outing, there is a National Anthem at noon in which the restaurant expects all patrons to partake in.

While at Mission BBQ, I got to try the Pulled Pork, Moist Brisket, Bay B Back Ribs, Maggie's Mac and Cheese, and Cornbread, all of which I'd recommend. All of the meats were moist and tender.

On each table, there's a 6 pack paper carton with six types of barbecue sauces - KC Classic, Bay-B-Que, Tupelo Honey Heat, Texas Twang, Smoky Mountain, and Memphis Belle. I didn't try them all but I liked
KC Classics and Memphis Bells.

Reviewed 17 March 2018

The restaurant looks more like a fast food place than a BBQ joint. It is large and open, with a military / police theme. Note that there is a large Army truck in the parking lot that was repainted with the Mission BBQ logo all over it. On the back is a large grill so they use this truck for advertising and mobile BBQ events.

Since it was my first time here I ordered the three basics, brisket, ribs and pulled pork. They asked if I wanted dry or moist brisket, which I think translated into fatty or lean. I went with ½ pound ($8.79), moist. A ¼ pound of pulled pork was $4.14 and they paired up a tall boy of Bud (24 oz.), coleslaw and five bone spare ribs for $14.99 which was a good deal considering the standalone prices.

Note that all their meats are done dry rub so you will need to add sauce if you prefer it that way. I found out that the brisket cooks up to 16 hours guided by a meat temperature of 225 degrees. They have six on the table and an Alabama white you can request. The Texas Twang worked well with the brisket as did the Smoky Mountain. Both were good but not great. The Memphis Belle was not great, and the KC Classic just ok. I did not try the Bay B Que and liked the Tupelo Honey heat because it has a spicy bite to it. They also have a large bottle of North Carolina vinegar on the table which worked well with the pulled pork and coleslaw.

As for the meats, I tried them all first with no sauce. The brisket was tender but dry. The pulled pork was very dry and the ribs also dry but meaty. Overall the flavor was very good however I did hit some heavy salt areas. So, if 10 is the best score I asked myself what was it that would take away from the best score and I came up with the following; There was very little smoke aroma or taste on any of the three meats and no smoke ring. The coleslaw needed to be enhanced with some of the NC vinegar to elevate it in taste. All meats were served room temperature which translates to they had been sitting out a while. The brisket was ordered moist and I got dry. The sauces were not memorable.

Reviewed 12 March 2018 via mobile

As a woman I was in the minority with males far out numbering female customers. The cornbread was great! My turkey was okay. My husband enjoyed his beef brisket and fries. I did have fun trying the different sauces.

Reviewed 5 March 2018

Clean and pleasant space. Friendly staff. Pulled pork was good, but not outstanding. Baked beans were excellent. Would return.