All reviews room was clean one night stay sage diner front desk clerk virginia beach roadside motel minute drive would stay here again free breakfast md highway
Reviewed 19 June 2011

My husband and I stayed here in May when I was in town for business. We arrived much earlier than the check-in time but had no problem getting to our room early. The man at the desk (the owner?) was very friendly, as he was at check-out as well. He gets 5+ stars from me!

The room was comfortable, and had a mini fridge, microwave, desk, TV, good working wireless internet, etc. The room had a strange smell to it, though, like it needed to be aired out (we left the door open for a while and got used to it). Also, there was construction going on nearby in the morning and that was pretty loud. Otherwise the room was great - comfortable bed, decent location (not near much, but right off of the main road there and easy to find/get to), free parking, etc. There's also a picnic area with tables and green space if you want to sit outdoors.

Overall the hotel was only okay for the price, but given the few choices in the area and how friendly the staff is I would stay there again.

• Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 7 June 2011

Overall, we were not impressed with this hotel. It wasn't TERRIBLE, but for the price they asked, it wasn't a great value. For $100 a night/ 2 people, we expect clean sheets and room. The room smelled like a mixture of cleaning chemicals and stale jean crotch (clothes you try on at a store ). There were crumbs between the cushions of the chairs. The bed sheets have stains, and though I don't believe they were bug-related, it did not give us peace of mind to wonder. The towels also did not smell fresh. At 2 AM who feels like complaining? We just used what we had and called it a night..

Our bathroom door wouldn't shut properly, which was no biggy, but kinda funky.

I would have been more convinced of the toilet's sanitation if they had left those paper seat cover things that show that no one else had used the seat before us.

I think I remember the AC unit being really loud every time it started up.
The pluses: a nice breakfast and very hospitable/ friendly lady who worked in the lobby--I think her name is Barbara G. There was a waffle iron and that was pretty cool to have fresh-made waffles for the continental breakfast, but other than the neat breakfast and friendly staff member, we weren't impressed.

For other travelers to consider: there weren't too many places to eat nearby that weren't fast food joints or crab shacks. We ended up buying frozen meals at the Wal Mart down the road and heating them in the room's microwave (we were there Memorial Weekend, and the pizza place closed early. We weren't considering food--plan where to eat before you come.)

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 May 2011

* Cleanliness and furnishings seemed OK in the room I had
* Wireless internet works well
* Staff is friendly
* Continental breakfast is limited, but OK considering the room price
* No services (restaurants, etc.) within walking distance, but these are all located within 5-10 minutes of the motel
* USA Today and local weekly newspaper available - no charge - at the front desk
* Chincoteague wildlife refuge - where the ponies are - is about a 20-25 minute drive

Room tip: Ask for a room away from traffic
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 1 May 2011

Had an usually hard time finding a place to stay in the area trying to visit my mother, as it appears some sort of fireman's event/convention was in town. We picked the EconoLodge as it was truly one of the only available that weekend without having to drive out to Chincoteague. Lovely and friendly staff, however our room was more than a little outdated - it was seriously off-putting. The windowsill was so rotted at the bottom out we worried the window might fall in. The a/c stunk heavily of mold/mildew and never cleared. The sheets were dingy and didn't smell particularly fresh. The furniture was very outdated but I would have been fine with that if I felt it was clean, but I didn't. Pulling out the nightstand to try to get to an outlet to charge my phone found a pile of hair/dirt/ashes that gave me the heebies. From some of the other reviews it sounds as if they're working on rehab'ing the rooms but they clearly hadn't gotten to ours yet. Even for the very low price, I was uncomfortable and had a very restless night. I'm afraid I would not return.

Date of stay: April 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 April 2011

Vijay is so friendly and engaging that this hotel really distinguishes itself from most hotels in this price range. The accommodations are spacious, there is a pool, the rooms are set back away from the road so it is quiet, and the beds are soft. Also, the internet is WAY better than most hotels in both speed and reliability. All of those details are really secondary to how exceptionally friendly and considerate the proprietors are; because, at the end of the day, it's nice to be welcomed in and not just rung up and handed a key.

Room tip: just ask
Date of stay: April 2011