“Ok place to sleep and shower”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of The Islander Motel

and 1 more site!
The Islander Motel
Ranked #96 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
Johnstown, Pennsylvania
“Ok place to sleep and shower”
Reviewed 4 July 2010

The place gets bad reviews but its super cheap. Stayed 4 nights at the end of june and it cost me $70 per night tax included.

The room we had wasnt bad. It had 1 double bed, a fridge, table with 2 chairs and a tv. It was pretty clean, not spotless but nothing nasty. The bed itself sucked. The box springs was stained and looked aweful. The mattress was only about 4 inches thick and it was covered by a plastic mattress protecter.

The Islander is an ok place to sleep and shower. The nicest part is the pool. It made me mad however that the pool closed at 9pm but that the creepy owner could have private parties in it until midnight.

The location is good. 21st and bayside. right next door to fishtales and a few blocks from the salty dog and paddocks. only a 3 minute walk to the beach.

We went during a senior week so there were alot of young kids 16-20 years old staying with out supervision. They seemed to be placed in the rear building and all of the families seemed to be in the front building.

Overall if your not too picky and need something cheap the islander will work.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jean S
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 30 June 2010

I have been going to OC for many years, and stayed at many places. This place is by far the worst. When we arrived the owner insisted on walking me to my room and going in with me ( Kinda creepy ), he then plugged in the hot refridgerator. The air conditioner only worked on the 1st night. Hot water was hit or miss. Then the owner harrassed the people staying next to us , about friends visiting and told them that when he turned the outside lights out , they had to leave , or pay to stay there, Which is what the guy did. When they went to the office , the owner proceded to lecture him about it and still made them go inside. The owner is Russian I think and as wierd as acan be. He must have forgotten that we are in America and you shouldn't treat people that way. The best part of the place is the pool, so if we ould have stayed at the pool all of the time, I would have been ok. I will never stay here again, and would never recomment it to anyone, expeciallly younger people....

Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
4 Thank gina1217

Travellers are raving about these Ocean City hotels

Baltimore, MD
Reviewed 7 June 2010

We decided at the last minute to drive to OC and took our chances at finding a hotel. The Islander was the most reasonable for one night. We stayed on the third floor, room 91. Was it the nicest hotel I've ever stayed in, of course not. But it was acceptable. The beds were clean and bath. The bath had been newly tiled, but tub/toilet/sink were still old, but okay. I didn't find anything disgusting. Room had a little fridge and also a TV, two chairs and desk. Pool was clean as was the pool area. There was a lot of noise from the street (jerks revving their engines, loud music), but the air conditioner in room drowned most of that out. Room was only 2 blocks from the beach, convenient to just about everything. This motel was not my first choice, but I wasn't going to pay $250-300 for one night in Ocean City.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank WalterBWI
Lewistown
Reviewed 6 June 2010

I read online that this place was a dump....though my Husband insisted we stay there...because it was only $99 a night...Well you get what you pay for...
So upon arrival we got two keys...one of which broke the first time we used it!
The fridge and TV weren't plugged in, so we put our box Capri Sun into a warm fridge for starters...the floor felt damp and the room stunk of wet, old wood paneling. Gross....the mattresses were jail cell thin, though pretty comfy after a long day walking. Although I felt like I needed a haz-mat suit to crawl into.
Now the nastiest part-the bathroom....OMG!
The sink was falling off the wall, there were grout issues, cracks in the walls, water damage on the ceiling, rust stains...I mean come on?....This was worse than my college apartment! I went swimming in the evening and there was hair and leaves and bugs in the pool...Nasty....the kicker was after I got done swimming I went to our room to take a shower, only to find that the water was FREEZING....not once but twice we had to tell them about the COLD water. They called for a plumber to fix the issue, though it totally interrupted that evening as far as getting ready goes. BTW, they did give us a second key saying "try not to break this one, I know it wasn't your fault, it's the only other one we have."
For the safety and well-being of you and your family Do Not....stay at this dump....listen to the other reviews and save yourselves a weekend of Hell...My suggestion if you do find the "charm" of a "beach motel" bring air fresheners, Lysol, your own TP, your own pillows and don't forget to ask them for the remote!...we found out at the END of our stay that we have to ASK for the remote...really?!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MrsKerstetter09
wv
Reviewed 26 March 2010

Stay as far away from this dump as you can. The pool gave me a very bad UTI i was in the hospital 2 days after the stay. My dr told me never to go there again as if I would. The beach was GREAT and the food was out of this world but the hotel SUCKED.

• Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple