“Stayed at hotel for a "Girl's Getaway" in August..ocean view..nice staff..we plan to go there again..Wonderful Hotel !!!”
Review of Grand Hotel & Spa

Grand Hotel & Spa
Ranked #15 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
Altoona, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 15 September 2012

Stayed during the last week of August 2012...It was 4 days and 3 nights...a "Girls Getaway" for my 2 friends and I..they had stayed there with their grandchildren a few years before and enjoyed it very much...the staff was friendly especially in the restaurant where we had breakfast each morning...we were on the 7th floor with an ocean view...I sat out on that balcony just looking at the ocean and relaxing...room was clean (which is very important to me) and always had what we needed...enjoyed the outdoor pool and had a refreshing drink at the pool bar...checked out the shops and found some bargains...caught the tram in front of the hotel to check out the boardwalk...we had a wonderful time and plan to stay at "The Grand" on our next visit to Ocean City, MD...Highly recommend "The Grand Hotel and Spa" !!!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Linda M
Matthew B, Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 22 September 2012
Thank you for all of your kind words and we truly appreciate your recommendation of the Grand Hotel and Spa to the Tripadvisor community. I am truly overjoyed that we were able to provide you and your girlfriends with such an enjoyable stay.

We are all excited that you are already planning on coming back again because we would love another opportunity to share our passion for service with you. I hope you will make the Grand Hotel and Spa your only choice when visiting Ocean City, Maryland for many years to come!

Assistant General Manager
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (411)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 15 September 2012

We stayed on the 12th floor, ocean front, king bed and it was great! The room was very clean and very well maintained. The lounge chairs on the balcony made us feel as if we were on the beach but without all the sand to wash out of the swimsuits! When we went to the outdoor pool we were treated like royalty! The female attendant immediately greeted us with plush towels that she laid out on our loungers and she had rolled up towels that were placed (just slightly rolled down) at the top of the loungers that made a nice pillow! The shops on the boardwalk level were great. The smell of good coffee greets you when you step out the elevator in the lobby.
We only have two minor complaints: 1) the wi-fi was not so great (it went completely down during our stay for about 1 full day): 2) the lattice in between the balconies does not give you any privacy (perhaps this should be addressed at the next board meeting)
oops i may have 2 1/2 minor complaints: 2 1/2) although we don't smoke, we didn't see any reason why guests can not smoke on the balcony..we saw some frustrated guests that could not figure that out..the balconies are outside
All in all, it was very enjoyable!
I recommend Phillips which is within one block. We had the buffet one night $28.99 per person and then the next night we had the carry-out 10 piece chicken that came with cole slaw, potato salad, rolls & butter ($18.99). We also highly suggest the crab cake sandwich (comes with delicious fries) $14.99. We could have feasted off the carry-out for 2 days at least!
Hall's has an excellent breakfast buffet for about $10 per person (coupon in the flyers). Eggs Benedict, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, yummy potatos, pancakes, waffles, biscuits w/sausage gravy, corned beef hash (or something very similar to it), fresh fruit, any kind of toast, bagels, cream cheese, cinnamon buns, and all the sweet stuff!
Be sure to bring your bicycle or rent a surrey to pedal all of the boardwalk! We walked most of the 3 miles, but the surrey was much more fun!

Room Tip: 12th floor! Ocean front/boardwalk front
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 394Mike
Matthew B, Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 16 September 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback and I'm overjoyed that you had a "fantastic stay". All of your feedback will be reviewed by our management team because we take all of our guest's comments very seriously. After all your feedback is what assists us in improving the overall experience for all of our guests.

I hope you will make us your choice hotel in Ocean City, MD for many years to come because we cannot wait to have you back again!

Middletown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 12 September 2012

We were at Grand Hotel Sept 9-11, 2012. When we arrived the desk personnel were helpful and we were in our room quickly. The hotel is very clean. The elevators were clean and quick. Our room was awesome. The rooms, rugs, bathroom, shower, kitchenette, everything was clean and odor free. The pillows and the bed was very comfortable. We called the desk three times and our questions were answered immediately. Everyone went out of there way to make us feel welcome and special. Especially "Stephanie" who was at the pool when we were there and gave us thick lounge chair covers and towels and directed us to the type of restaurant we were looking for and her suggestions were excellent. It is right on the boardwork with many shops located on the lobby level. I hope we are able to go there again next year. I have stayed in approximately twenty five different hotel/motels and this one I put in my top two. Highly recommend the Grand Hotel and Spa.

Room Tip: We stayed on the fourth floor and had a partial ocean view.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank robinlyn13
We hope you are able to come here again next year as well! I would like to thank you for recommending the Grand Hotel and Spa to others, it is truly appreciated. Our staff works very hard to provide our guests with the cleanest and friendliest staff you will find, so I will make sure they are praised for another job well done.

Thank you for all of your kind words and I hope we can become a tradition in your travels to Ocean City, MD.

Lancaster, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 11 September 2012

We stayed on the 11th floor and paid a premium for it (259.00 per night plus tax) to get the upgraded rooms with the semi-private balconies. We learned while staying there others had paid less for the same floors so that was disappointing. Biggest thing my wife pointed out was for “newer” rooms the carpet has rolls in it all over the place, and the semi-private balcony upgrade is lattice-work zip tied to the metal poles. I’ve stay at the hotel before so knew what I was expecting….just expected a little more for the nicer rooms for the price compared to a standard room. Pizza place in the hotel is the best!
For the other reviewers that stayed the weekend of 9/7..the crying baby was probably ours….sorry.

Room Tip: Go for higher floors and opt for a direct ocean view.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Matthew B, Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 17 September 2012
I apologize that you were not entirely pleased with your stay. Our Signature Service rooms are not "newer" per say, the higher rate you are paying is for the spectacular view from the 10th and 11th floor. The reason you rate may have been higher than other guest's is because our rates due fluctuate depending on when you booked and occupancy levels. However I understand and empathize with you regarding your concerns and will be sure to share your feedback with our management team, so the appropriate actions can be taken.

I hope this isolated incident does not detour you from staying with us in the near future and you will allow us the opportunity of winning back your trust. We would hate to lose one of our loyal guests. Please feel free to contact me directly if you would like to discuss this matter further and we truly appreciate you valued feedback.

Boonton, NJ
Reviewed 11 September 2012

I was pleasantly surprised with the hotel. My husband and I had an oceanfront room on the 11th floor. All rooms have great views and next time I do not think we would pay the extra money for oceanfront. The hotel is clean which is VERY important to me. Maid service, check in/out, restaurant, parking, location was all good. We had breakfast at the hotel restaurant 2 times and both times enjoyed it. Great service and food also, enjoyed the 24 hr. coffee shop and visited daily. Karaoke is in the bar Friday/Sunday nights which was entertaining. If you want to get a massage at the hotels spa you need to book ahead. We tried to make an appointment but, they were booked. I do think the $270 a night is a little high but would still recommend The Grand. Note: We were told this hotel is North of Ocean City when actually it is South.

We walked one block to Phillips for dinner which was excellent. I had the broiled crab cakes and it was all crab, no filler. I highly recommend the restaurant. Another night we went to Fresco's Restaurant which is more expensive but had a table by the window, watched the sunset and listened to the piano player in the background. Once again, I recommend (you need reservations) Went to Fish Tales (walking distance) to see the sunset. It was nice to sit back, relax and have a cocktail but it wasn't my kind of place to eat.

The hotel is about 15 minutes from Assateague Island. This is where wild horses roam the beach. Beautiful, peaceful beach with no crowds. Costs $15 per car for the week and was well worth it. Mosquitos are bad but, on the beach no problem.

If your a beer drinker try Evolution (EVO) my husband bought a case while there to bring back. He also really enjoyed the Phillips brand beer.

Hope this was helpful. Feel free to email me with any questions.

Room Tip: Do not spend extra for an oceanfront room. ALL rooms have a great view.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple