“Disappointed in stay”
Review of Grand Hotel & Spa

Grand Hotel & Spa
Ranked #14 of 104 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed 28 February 2012

We stayed with this hotel for the first time this past Saturday 2/25/2012-2/26/2012 and was very disappointed.
Upon checking into our room #206 there was an immediate problem with the television. The picture continually rolled and at times jumped. We immediately contacted the front desk and maintenance was sent to our room. Unfortunately after switching out two additional television sets, the problem remained the same. We were told that there was nothing else they could do and we were basically stuck with the picture the way it was. My husband is a light sleeper and wakes several times during the night and watches television so this was a big problem for us.

On another note, this is not the quietest hotel room we every slept in. The walls were very thin and ever noise could be heard. We were not aware there was a cheerleading rally occurring during our stay and there were young individuals running up and down the hall to go to the pool or game room. This went on until after midnight. As far as we know, management did nothing to stop this because it continues through the evening.

Lastly when I walked into the bathroom I noticed a half bottle of shampoo resting on a washcloth on the edge of the bathtub. This is not acceptable at all.

The only plus to this hotel is the location and the courtesy of the front desk.
The televisions should be replaced with flat screen sets.

My husband and I travel frequently and were very disappointed in our stay, to say the least. The price of the room was a bit steep for this time of year in Ocean City, which we don’t mind paying, if the value is there also. In the future we will not be staying at this hotel as there are so many other nicer choices in the area.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Matthew B, Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 February 2012

I would like to apologize for the less than pleasurable stay you experienced at our property. Unfortunately the issue with your television was due to a problem pertaining to our cable provider and as you are already aware was not something that could be corrected by our Engineering department at that time. However I understand and empathize with you on how frustrating this situation was during your stay. I apologize once again for the unfortunate event, but delighted to inform you that we are moving in the direction of replacing some of our current televisions with flat screens and will continue to do so over time.

I would like to inquire if you attempted to inform the front desk about the constant noise coming from outside of your room? We did have a member of our security team working Friday and Saturday night due to the hotel being completely booked to assist with the cheerleader groups. He was constantly monitoring the floors to ensure issues similar to this were not taking place throughout the hotel. We would have been more than happy to send them up to your floor to investigate and handle the issue. I would also like to inform you for the future that we do offer King Jacuzzi rooms that are on an adult only floor. The situation pertaining to the half empty shampoo left in your bathroom is unacceptable and has been brought to the attention of our Director of Housekeeping.

Please allow us to win back your trust and prove our commitment to exceeding your expectations by staying with us again in the near future. I promise your next stay with the Grand Hotel and Spa will be a more pleasant one! Please feel free to contact me directly if you would like to discuss this matter further. Thank you for your time and business. Have a great day!

Best Regards,

Reviewed 13 February 2012

My husband and I got away for a long week end. We booked two nights and at check in the staff was very friendly and knowlegeable. our room was on the 6th floor, ocean front and the view was great....except we had a hard time seeing it. The glass on the sliding door was very distorted. It was not dirt or grime, just scratched, and looked like moisture had gotten between the two panes. The room was clean, the bed comfortable, but it could have used two night stands and brighter lighting. Would have been nice to have a flat screen TV and some lighting over the little table. Would have been nice to have a few dishes, silverware and napkins in the kitchen area. We ordered in pizza and had to use the hand towels for napkins

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Matthew B, Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2012

Thank you for providing us with your valuable feedback regarding your recent stay. Replacing the sliding glass doors in our guest rooms has been an ongoing project over the past few years. We are installing new sliders on each floor or floors yearly to improve the guest's overall experience. After reviewing the rest of your comments, I realized that these items are all on the hotel's "wish list" that are being taken into consideration to move forward with in the future.

We appreciate your kind words regarding the front desk staff and the cleanliness of your room. We strive to offer extraordinary service and the cleanest hotel room in Ocean City! I am pleased that you experienced both of these during your stay and I hope to see you again the near future. Have a great day!

Yours in Hospitality,

Reviewed 20 January 2012

Booked a New Year's weekend package for my wife and me. We added a third night in advance. The room was great, on the 9th floor,oceanfront,spacious,very clean compared to a lot of hotels we have stayed at in OC.Convenient coffee shop downstairs. Couldn't get wifi. The first night at about 6:30 AM the fire alarms went off so we rushed out and down the stairs. Everyone was orderly and there seemed to be no fire but I noticed that until we got down to the lobby I didn't see a single employee of the hotel and down there I only noticed one woman at the desk on the phone. I'm not complaining about the alarm (happy they work) but wondering how many employees are actually on duty for safety and security purposes in a relatively large hotel. We told the housekeeper we didn't need our room cleaned that first morning. The second morning I was concerned about our reservation because when I reserved they insisted on doing two transactions because of the package we took. We had to recheck in and actually have our room key cards changed. Went to the brunch that was part of the package and returned in the afternoon to find that our room was not cleaned. Found the housekeeper later in the afternoon who apologized and said that she thought we had checked out. No tip for her. The package deal we received and the oceanfront room were a great value . No kudos for management in dealing with our reservation details and communication with and supervision of housekeeping. And some concern about safety considering that if there had been an actual fire and the seemingly large number of guests needed assistance and direction in evacuating who was there to provide it?

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 613GeoK
Matthew B, Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2012

I am pleased you were delighted with your room. We pride ourselves in having the most spacious and cleanest accommodations in Ocean City! Our goal is to ensure that every guest leaves satisfied and I apologize that we have let you down.

I would like to assure you that we do have extremely thorough fire alarm procedures in place at the hotel. The staff is also instructed to assist any guests out of the hotel if necessary. I apologize once again that you did not bare witness to these procedures.

Last year an extensive investment was made to improve our wireless internet. Our IT team, along with our local cable provider has already been out to investigate this issue and it has been corrected.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 16 January 2012

We stayed on the 9th floor for a long weekend in January. The hotel was clean, the room was clean and we had a great view of the ocean. We loved the extra features of the hotel, like the Shipwreck Lounge, Ice Cream/Coffee Shop, pool and the other shops. Staying here is like staying at a mini all inclusive hotel. Ideas for improvements would be: It would have been nice to have a couch in our room so that we could sit and drink coffee while viewing the ocean (we had dbl queen beds and a small table with chairs. There is 1 other chair (at the desk) in the room. The room sleeps 4 but only has 3 chairs, so someone had to sit on the bed to eat, talk, relax, etc. Couch and cozy chair would have made it much nicer. Another suggestion would be to upgrade to a flat screen tv. Our tv was small and the picture is not as clear as HD. Also, it would have been nice to have some basic dishes, silverware and napkins in the kitchen area. When we went to get ice cream, almost all of the flavors were empty, so we really only had a choice of 3 flavors. Hand lotion would be a great plus in the ladies room! Also, the stores were not open during our stay. It was super nice having the parking garage!!! We enjoyed not having to worry about parking. We do plan on coming back, but would love to see some upgrades as this could really be a SUPER hotel. Thank you.

Room Tip: Ask if your room has a couch and/or cozy chairs for ocean viewing from inside.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank EaglesFanCharlestown
GrandManager, General Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2012

Thank you for your comprehensive review of our hotel. While reading it, I found that you were touching on all of the items on my "wish-list" for our hotel. While we have been making steady strides in adding amenities, some of the big ticket items are just out of reach due to the economy.

During the off-season, it is not profitable for many of our stores to remain open for business. While some weekends are still busy, most of them are very quiet this time of year. I always look forward to the spring when they pop open like leaves for the season.

Thank you again for your kind words and constructive comments.

Yours In Hospitality -
Patrick Staib

Reviewed 16 January 2012

They advertise in-room WiFi but I could only use my laptop in the lobby. When I called the desk they said they would look into it. That was two days ago. Restaurants and lounge aren't open and there is NO satisfactory food on site. Spa was never open as advertised. I know it's off-season, but there are lots of people here. Staff also sneak into the closed jewelry store and out of the way hallways to smoke. Very unpleasant. The view is beautiful, but that's not worth the complete absence of amenities. House-keeping is the only group that was consistently competent and professional. Next time, I'm heading down the way to Marriott. My rate was very, very low...got what I paid for.

Room Tip: If you want WiFi, ask for a low room, but don't count on it. Better off to stay down the way at...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank DianaW528

I am very sorry to read about your dissatisfaction with your recent stay, we have made a substantial investment wireless internet service this year and I'm sorry to know that it failed you. We have our IT team checking it out today to ensure that it is fully functional.

During the off-season, many of the operators of our leased businesses choose to close down operations due to lack of business and we scale back our bar and restaurant. Our bar opens daily at 4pm and the Terrace restaurant is open 7am until noon on Saturday and Sunday for breakfast.

We would like the opportunity to turn this situation around and demonstrate our commitment to your satisfaction. I encourage you to give me a call anytime to discuss and give us the opportunity to win back your business.

Sincere regards,