“I expected better from a Best Western”

Best Western Capital Beltway
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Lanham
Reviewed 9 August 2011

I would consider this stay to be a comedy of errors. This is an older hotel, the elevator is so tiny that if a cleaning lady is in there with her cleaning cart, there is no room for anyone else. We stayed for a week. We moved 3 times on the second day. There is a lounge/bar downstairs that is only open on Fri and Sat nights according to the hotel information. However around 10pm on a Sunday night there arose such a clatter, actually a pounding/vibration that shook the whole hotel. I went down to the lobby around 10:15pm to investigate and there were a dozen other guests there also complaining. Apparently the hotel booked a private function in that bar/lounge and the DJ was playing his funk/rap music so loud that the building was vibrating. The night manager was no where to be found, the desk clerk paged him/her 5 times and no response. No doubt he/she was hiding not wanting to deal with the guests complaints. We were told the party would be over at 2am... I pointed out that the hotel has a no noise after 10pm policy but the clerk just shrugged that off. At 2:15am I called back down to the lobby because the racket had not quit... the clerk said any minute now. Well it was 2:45 am before the music stopped, but then the ruckus out in the parking lot began and continued till 3:30am. I was first in line at the managers office when she walked in the next morning. She offered her apologies and a 1/2 refund for the evening, I said that wasn't acceptable and insisted on a full refund which she gave me. I must say that General Manager - Helen [--] was sincere with her apology and she didn't argue with me when I insisted on the full refund. I asked if there were going to be any further private parties and I was assured that there wouldn't be but Helen wanted to move me elsewhere in the hotel where she felt I would be less likely to be disturbed. So up we went to the 6th floor. It wasn't long after that while I was trying to nap and get caught up on lost sleep that a ruckus arose in the room next to ours. It sounded like 3-4 children were in the room next to us, running, jumping, yelling, screaming. I called Helen and asked her if there happened to be a day care center in the next room, she said no, so I told her what was going on and she acknowledged that she could hear it through the phone... she checked and it seems that she had moved us into a room next to a family of 6 who have been staying in the hotel for 41 days with an open date for checking out... Well we are not getting any peace and quiet next to this noisy family so Helen once again moved us to another room.. on the 5th floor. This seems to be quiet for the time being.
The internet is slow and suddenly during our 4th day it just quit. The Assistant Manager Sheri explained that the hotel was in the process of upgrading their WiFi. I can't be without internet so I went out and bought a broadband stick for my laptop.. if the hotel can't provide me a signal, then I will provide my own. When I went to get the stick, I found our car (which has been parked in the parking lot at the hotel for 4 days) plastered with glue on stickers, advertisements for local clubs and dances. Actually glued to the windows of the car. Sheri said she has been trying to catch these guys who do this. So now I have to deal with getting these stickers off the windows so I can see to drive the car. What else can go wrong... Well the breakfast is mediocre at best, although they do a better job on the weekends, but expect the bare necessities during the week. The shuttle to the Metro is a bonus, that is why our car never left the parking spot. Restaurants are close by and so is grocery shopping and laundry. A big hotel like this and they do not have laundry facilities. We were told the reason was because guests are on holiday and don't want to bother with laundry... HELLO... yes I am on a two month holiday, but I need to do laundry once a week. I could go on and on about this hotel but I have said enough... Helen and Sheri did do their best to accommodate us. I think when I come back to Washington DC I will probably look elsewhere and it would probably be wise to spend a bit more for the room. It costs $18.00 for a day pass for 2 on the Metro.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bill M
YourDCManager, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Capital Beltway, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2011

Dear laplaya29, Thank you for taking the time and consideration to let us know about the circumstances surrounding your recent visit to Best Western. Please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconsistencies in service you experienced during your stay.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 6 August 2011

Dirty rooms, corridors, dining room. Sticky door handles, stained and grey sheets. Bar, and I guess restaurant, only open on Friday and Saturday they said, but you would not want to walk outside in that area to find a bar or restaurant to use. Breakfast room dirty and gloomy and choice of breakfast items very, very limited.
After taking my morning bath I walked around the room in bare feet and after 20 minutes the soles of my feet were really dirty. The chambermaid didn't show up so the beds were not made nor the coffee sachets replenished.
Could not wait to leave to return to our Best Western hotel in New Jersey, now that one really is BEST Western.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank borrowedtheboots
YourDCManager, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Capital Beltway, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2011

Dear borrowedtheboots, On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we offer a better experience for guests in the future.

Reviewed 3 August 2011

Don't be fooled by the picture in the ad - does not look this good. It is an older Best Western. Lobby is nice and they do have a van that takes you to the Metro but undependable for picking you up on time. Breakfast was good but always ran out of food. They only had one individual working. Pool was ok but always ran out to towels. They do give a discount if you stay for three nights.
Not the greatest.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
YourDCManager, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Capital Beltway, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2011

Dear epmmrp, On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we offer a better experience for guests in the future.

Reviewed 28 July 2011

Stayed here for 2 nights while sightseeing in Washington, D.C.
Hotel had free parking which was a must for us. The free breakfast was wonderful! They had your basic cereal and toast, but they also had eggs and bagels and fruit, juice, tea and coffee... I was very pleasantly surprised with the variety they offered, since I was expecting nothing but cereal and toast. They also had coffee, tea and fruit served in the Lobby all day long.
The room was decent- 2 standard beds, a TV, coffeemaker- everything you expect from a Bestwestern chain hotel. The only thing we had a problem with was the shower, the drain didn't work so well so we had to wait about 10-15 minutes for the water to drain after the shower. We asked them to try and fix it when we were out of the room, but we still had problems with it (don't know if they tried taking care of it or not).
The shuttle was very convenient, we got back quite late for the shuttle, but they sent it again once we got there.
Staff were all very friendly. The free Wi-Fi and guest computer and printer were nice amenities, very appreciated!
The hotel was super convenient if you're looking for a cheap stay near D.C. for sightseeing, we weren't expecting much more then a bed to sleep on, and even though we knew what amenities would be included they turned out to be much more pleasing and convenient then expected.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends

Dear shebe13, Your business is very important to us and we value your feedback. By telling us what you liked about your stay and how we can improve, you are helping us deliver a superior experience for you and other guests in the future. We hope you will come back and see us again soon.

Reviewed 24 July 2011

We had two rooms. One room had new air conditioner and better fridge. Second room had older air conditioner which does not cool as much. Everything else was good. Free shuttle to the metro station very helpful. From metro station we called 1 800 number to the hotel and they sent shuttle. Stuff was nice and helpful. Hotel was clean. Internet worked 95% of the time.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family

Dear Thrimph, Thank You for taking the time to comment on our hotel. We appreciate your business and look forward to accommodating you again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lanham
0.5 km away
1.6 km away
Courtyard New Carrollton Landover
4.6 km away
Staybridge Suites Washington D.C. - Greenbelt

Been to Best Western Capital Beltway? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK