“Great Food, But Awful Service”
Review of Guide House

Guide House
Ranked #1 of 6 Restaurants in Knoxville
Reviewed 30 April 2018

We went there for Sunday brunch after reading the great reviews. The service was dreadful. Although the restaurant was less than half full, it took us 15 minutes to get served water and drinks. We ordered our brunch dishes when we ordered our drinks, but it took another 30 minutes after the drinks were served to get our food. When the food was served, I ordered a glass of wine. The server acknowledged it and promptly disappeared. Meanwhile the bartender seemed to be more interested in chatting with bar patrons than making drinks. I flagged down another server and asked her for the glass of wine. She told us that our server was "in training" and that she would get it right away. Then, she vanished. As we were finishing our food our server finally reappeared and asked if we needed anything else. I told her that our water glasses were empty and asked her how long does it take to pour a glass of wine? She apologized and said that both she and the bartender were new and "in training." That may be, but we didn't see anyone training them or back-stopping them.

We will never go back. Two bullets instead of one only because the food was so good. But it wasn't worth the terrible service.

Reviewed 23 April 2018 via mobile

Charlotte was our server and couldn’t have been more accommodating! We landed here after our tasting at Bloomery Plantation Distillery with coupons for $1.00 off drinks. I wish I had done a little more research on the restaurant & food choices before heading there. I’m vegetarian and it’s not easy always finding something to eat besides salads. But I was hopeful. Unfortunately, as another reviewer pointed out, there aren’t many options for vegetarians. So I opted for the $10 special salad that was advertised having arugula, kale, strawberries, mandarin oranges & feta with walnuts. Unfortunately I didn’t take a picture of it but I wouldn’t order it again. I couldn’t find the kale in the salad but was told it was baby kale and was the lettuce with long stems. I’ll be checking that out this week at my Wegmans. Anyway, there were scant strawberries (2 divided in half) and 4 mandarin oranges and chopped walnuts sprinkled on top with about 6 small pieces of feta. Yes, disappointing.
The best thing about this restaurant was Our server, Charlotte! She was thoughtful, thorough and full of personality!

Reviewed 18 March 2018 via mobile

What a wonderful find! Decided upon dinner here after looking at TripAdvisor reviews. Walked in at 6 to a full bar and restaurant. Put our name on the wait list and headed to the bar for a beverage. We were immediately offered a a tray of green St Patrick’s day swag....green beads, sparkly tiny green hats, etc. service at the bar was swift and friendly.

Went to our table a little while later where we ordered dinner....spicy shrimp for me and Sheppard’s pie for my husband. Both were delicious. But what made the meal fantastic was the great service. Everyone helps out here. You have your regular Waiter/waitress but then there are a few other people just cruising around being delightful and helpful. It’s refreshing.

Dessert was the over the rainbow cupcake and Guinness cupcake. Both were delicious.

Come here to eat. Don’t pass this one by.

Reviewed 3 March 2018 via mobile

This place has great atmosphere and delicious food and drinks. The bartender was very attentive and took the time to work with me and assist with a gluten free lunch. Wonderful experience.

Reviewed 18 February 2018

No parking in Harper's Ferry, so stopped here. Had eaten at the old place-Cindy Dee's- but it looked like they had fixed the place up. They had. The menu was interesting. The food was really good! Excellent cream of crab soup-really quite good. I had the fish and chips which were good while my Friend had the pulled pork sandwich which was equally good. These items all had different ingredients-example they had old bay sauce salad dressing which was great, but not overpoweringly spicy-you could taste it! Overall, this is a very interesting restaurant with a great, enthusiastic staff and interesting food. Hard to believe it is located here. A real gem!

1  Thank Greenwave2013