All reviews business trip indoor pool shopping and restaurants metro station washington dc free parking meeting shuttle highway mall
Reviewed 6 July 2011

We stayed here from July 1 to July 5 and it was absolutely wonderful. Check-in and check-out was a breeze. There is complimentary shuttle to Shady Grove and the drivers are very friendly! We spent more time exploring D.C. than hanging out at the hotel but we could be assured that a very clean, cooled down room would be waiting for us and offer us relief from walking several miles in the heat over the 4th. Beds were very comfortable, not too soft and not too firm. We visited the bar one night for a couple of drinks which were excellent, bartender was very talkative and friendly. The area of Gaithersburg is also very nice, several restaurants to choose. We drove from Iowa so we don't make it to the east coast but if we are ever in the D.C. area again, we will be staying at the Hilton, Gaithersburg. Thank you for making our trip memorable!

Room Tip: We stayed on the 9th floor and had a wonderful view during sunset.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
hiltongaithersburgGM, General Manager at Hilton Washington DC North Gaithersburg, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2011

Hello midwsttraveler--thank you for choosing the Gaithersburg Hilton for your recent visit to the Washington D.C. Area and for taking the time to post your comments about your stay. After having driven all the way from Iowa to the east coast, you certainly deserve a comfortable, trouble free visit. I am very pleased that we were able to provide you with a stay you described as "absolutely wonderful". It was our pleaser to do so and you are more than welcome.
I will be sharing your comments with all of our staff at upcoming meetings and we look forward to having you back with us when your travels, once again, bring you to this area.

Reviewed 21 June 2011

We stayed at the Hilton Gaithersburg for nearly a week while attending the US Open. (As an aside, calling it the "Hilton Washington DC North" is highly misleading, e.g., it is nearly 25 miles from the White House, which given traffic on I-270 and the Beltway often means an hour and a half drive.) For our purposes, however, it was ideally located since the buses to the Open left from the fairgrounds across the street.

The front staff were friendly and helpful, and very international! I chatted with employees from Togo, Pakistan, and Sierra Leone, to mention a few. The rooms were spacious and clean, with a large-screen flat TV (albeit with a controller a bit hard to figure out).

The issues we encountered were not momentous, but more than I believe one should experience when paying more that $250 a night.

Card Keys - one of our keys did not work upon our first return to the hotel. It was cheerfully rescanned. When it failed to work a second time, a maintenance person explained we should not keep the card near a cell phone or credit cards! So much for keeping it in a wallet.

Wi-Fi - It was free. Although advertised as "high speed," it was not good enough to watch streaming video on my laptop, so I had to listen to my Red Sox games rather than watch them on MLB.COM in the evening, as I was able to do at a Holiday Inn Express two weeks earlier. I realize I will not get any empathy from Yankee fans.

Room make up - We left the room early in the morning and assumed it would be cleaned when we returned late in the afternoon. On the first day, no one showed up until after 4pm. When we returned at the same time the second day, the room had already been cleaned, so I said nothing, assuming day one was a fluke. On day three, we got back at 3:45pm, and the cleaning staff arrived at at 4:15pm as we were getting ready to shower, so we passed on the service. The next morning I asked that the room be cleaned by noon, and it was, in fact, ready when we got back at about 4pm.

Rooks Corner Café - The gift shop/Starbucks "Grab-and-Go" closed mid-day, so if one wanted a quick snack or a cup of coffee upon return in the afternoon, you were out of luck.

The service in the bar was fine, and the service and food in the restaurant was very good.

Overall, a disappointing experience for $250/night Hilton.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank InspectorT
hiltongaithersburgGM, General Manager at Hilton Washington DC North Gaithersburg, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2011

Hello InspectorT—Thank you for choosing the Gaithersburg Hilton for your recent stay in the Washington D.C. area while attending the U.S. Open. We were very proud to be associated with such a prestigious event and were kept very busy with the impact of the transportation hub being directly across the street. I trust this made your stay convenient for your purpose. Thank you also for taking the time to comment on the services, staff and amenities that you encountered and utilized at the hotel. I have passed along all of your comments to our managers and staff and we will address your noted concerns to adjust for improvement of our services and timing where necessary.
We would be delighted to have you stay with us again in the future and I would look forward to hearing from you so that we may meet personally.

Reviewed 18 June 2011

I was only there because it was close to NIST HQ; the proximity makes it worth paying a bit more, especially since I was only there for 2 nights. The hotel doesn't earn the premium, though. Also, I think I was unlucky because the US Open golf tournament happened to be the same week I was there, and the hotel is very close to that venue. I bet the hotel raised the prices for the event...I know I would have!

Good things: The room was clean and the bed was comfy and the Internet was free.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business

Hello TheEclectiveEve--I enjoyed reading your review of our property. It wa brief, but stressed very important points that we are proud to be able to provide to our travelers. I am glad that you chose us, enjoyed your stay and found our room size and Wi-Fi to be valuable to you.
Thank you for taking the time to comment on the hotel and we hope to see you back again in the near future.
Yale Feldman\
Gneeral Manager

Reviewed 6 June 2011

Rooms are quite big. Free wi-fi is a big plus since we're thousand miles from home and we get to chat with our kids back home.

Normal but nothing special.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 June 2011

My review may not be representative since I somehow got upgraded into a giant suite at no extra cost. Had a living room, dining room, bedroom, back hall ... quite a nice setup. The room was fine, with a very comfortable bed and all the amenities. The Wifi was strong and fast (and didn't cost extra).

It seems to be a thoroughly remodeled older property. The lobby includes bar area. There is a restaurant which has an excellent breakfast buffet, but you pay $16 per person.

This is very convenient if you're visiting NIST -- about a 5-minute drive. But it's a little pricey for a basically suburban hotel.

Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
hiltongaithersburgGM, General Manager at Hilton Washington DC North Gaithersburg, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2011

Hello Cadillac22--Thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to post a review of your experience. We are proud to offer the most up to date amenities and are glad you could take advantage of our Free Wi Fi to stay in touch with your family while travelling. We hope to see you again the next time you are in the area.