“Really comfortable hotel with friendly staff”

Residence Inn Gaithersburg Washingtonian Center
Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in Gaithersburg
Reviewed 14 October 2011

This was my first time staying in this particular hotel. I typically stay nearby at a SpringHill Suites when I travel to Rockville, MD - but this hotel had better rates for this trip, so I gave it a try.

My room was very clean. It was located at the very end of Building B and had two large windows. The room was very nicely decorated, included a desk, small dining table, kitchen, and small living room area. The room had a regular coffee maker, and there was coffee/condiments provided in the room. There was a flat panel television that could be viewed from anywhere in the room.

The hotel has a good sized pool and a basketball court. (Given the time of year - the pool was closed while I stayed there).

The hotel has a happy hour every day. I didn't get back to the hotel early enough while I was there to try the food. They also serve breakfast each day, and it was a very complete buffet of food that was nicely presented. (Real scrambled eggs, sausage/ham, potatoes, breakfast sandwiches, waffle maker, yogurt, cereal, fresh fruit, coffee, juice, milk, etc).

While I've seen other reviews of this hotel that complained about a lack of nearby restaurants, I think those people must have been confused. There are about 12 restaurants at the Rio Center within easy walking distance (4 minute walk) of this hotel. (Indian, mexican, american, asian, southwest, etc.) Parking is never an issue if you just walk the 4 minutes...

Overall - while I really enjoy staying at the Marriott SpringHill Suites located right next door to this hotel, I'd probably stay at the Residence Inn if the price were the same for a given trip when I went to book.

Room Tip: Try to get a room at the end of the building. Seems like those rooms may be a little larger.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 6 September 2011

The suite was very clean, quiet and looked fairly new. The kitchen had a complete stove with an oven. It was a very busy area with condos and apartment buildings and that made all the nearby restaurants very crowded and hard to find parking. We couldn't find a fast food place so we had to buy some groceries for dinner. Also, it was very difficult to find a gas station.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 July 2011

My wife and I have stayed at this Residence Inn twice now, but we've also stayed at a number of other Marriott properties nearby (a Marriott, a Springhill Suites, a Towne Place Suites, and a Courtyard).

This property does have good rooms for a Residence Inn, but it also is fatally flawed in the way so many of them are.

It has the worst parking of any Residence Inn we've stayed at (and we've stayed at many from Rhode Island to Florida and this was our fifth Residence Inn in five weeks). And what little parking they have that's near an entrance for obvious reasons tends to be full. What's more, they reserve a spot for their van in a fairly prime space near the front desk and then park that van elsewhere on the property!

And, if you have luggage, if you can find a parking space and a luggage cart, you're in for a long haul to an entrance and then to your room.

Ironically, the very best parking available if you are in the right building are three spaces (there are only three there) on the street outside the entrance to the property. We took one of those during our second night.

The staff basically doesn't seem to care about guests. Your reception isn't particularly welcoming. Anyone would have noticed that the door to the bathroom squeaked loudly, but clearly nothing had been done about it. I plugged in my computer to a socket on the desk, but there was no electricity to that socket and my computer, rather than charging, ran down overnight.

And speaking of computers, when I asked for help when I couldn't acquire a connection to the internet, I was told by the front desk that they didn't offer any help. If there was a problem, it was my problem or that of the internet service provider--essentially "leave me alone, it's not my job!"

The nights we were there this time did not have dinner service, but we did have one breakfast. What was available was mediocre, but the biggest problem is that the dining space is small and inevitably crowded. It's a real challenge to get to tables (if you can find a table) and many end up eating (or trying to eat) in lounge chairs. It's an obstacle course to get from where the food is to a place where you can try to eat. Very poor design--totally inadequate.

With the Marriott Corporation's headquarters in the D.C. area, you'd think this property would have been designed and would be operated better--but you'd be wrong!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Fredonian
Reviewed 14 August 2010

I recently met several members of my extended family for a reunion at the Marriott Residence Inn- Washingtonian Center. We chose this hotel because it was pet-friendly and we were able to book several different rooms on the same floor (I did not have my own pet with me this time, but some of my other family members did). Overall, I think this was a good choice. The rooms were large, the kitchens and bathrooms were nice, and the staff was very helpful. Although I only stayed here one night, some of my family members stayed for a week and they had similarly good experiences. The hotel was almost 100% occupied throughout my family’s stay (which is amazing, especially in this economy), so my guess is that a lot of other travelers must like this hotel too.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 April 2010

I had several issues with my stay. I had no water at one point, I had nobody assist me with this. I called and spoke with some kid who was supposedly the Assistant General Manager, he was of no help at all. He offered the worst solutions, I could go down the street to the gym and shower there, that's what he suggested! Are you kidding me?? I spoke with a woman who was the Director of Sales, she was some rude old woman who couldn't care about customer service to save her life, they had my money already and they didn't care at that point. I would NEVER, EVER, EVER stay at this hotel,not to save my life. The staff and managers are the worst i've ever seen. Mean and rude, have yourmoney so who cares about the cusotmer afer that, apparently

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business