“A Notable Comeback”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Edison, New Jersey
“A Notable Comeback”
Reviewed 20 October 2011

I spent the last weekend at this hotel for a wedding. I decided to arrive on Friday since there was a rehearsal dinner. Arrival was great. The sense of satisfaction hit home run with the beautiful golf courses and pond. Check in was friendly. The room was standard, but clean and comfortable offering free internet.

First Impression

The rehearsal dinner was a DISASTER! I have never experienced such a lack of quality and service in my life from any restaurant. Our food was BEYOND late (main course coming out at 10PM!). It was not even worth the wait. The crab cakes were cold and tasteless. I mean come on - in Maryland! The salads were disgusting. A bag of Dole from a supermarket is a better option. As all this is happening there is no sign of any senior management. A young guy and girl some what in charge were clueless and seemed frustrated. Of course this left everyone worried about the big event. Not a good first impression.

The Comeback

The wedding was one to remember. Everything was flawless. The event room looked beautiful. The food was delicious. Staff and manager were visible. I went from having the worst dining experience to attending the best wedding in my life. We carried on to the lounge for more drinks. A notable comeback.

Final Impression

Sunday check out was smooth. Overall it was worth the trip. I left satisfied.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
abushtv, Manager at Turf Valley Resort, responded to this review, 20 October 2011
Thank you for your review; I'm thrilled that you enjoyed the wedding. I think our wedding coordinators and banquet staff really knock it out of the park - in fact, I encouraged my best friend to have his wedding reception here, and it was just lovely!

I am sorry about the experience you had at the rehearsal dinner. We are aware of the issues that occurred and I regret that this was your initial impression during your stay.

Please feel free to contact me at visitus@turfvalley.com if I can be of assistance in the future.

Take care,
Turf Valley
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Stamford, Connecticut
Reviewed 13 October 2011

If you are a meeting planner reading this Turf Valley is the right choice! However please consider providing your attendees with a full meal package, because as most resorts and conference centers this one is also surrounded by nature and not civilization.

I stayed here for the C&D Recycling forum. My point above is that we had two evenings of no dinner. This is not Turf Valley's fault. However dining options are limited at this property. The kitchen closes early and opens late. There is only one outlet and a half (lobby lounge) and the food is mediocre. We did have a cocktail reception and lunch which were great (via catering).

Overall the resort offers great amenities. A shuttle service, spa, golf courses, a basketball hoop, tennis courts, and a suburban neighborhood to walk. I guess dining was not considered or most events include catered meals.

Service was good - front desk, the guy on Sunday night at the lobby lounge (Kevin?) and my housekeeper deserve recognition.

It is worth mentioning. This resort does a great job being "green". From the hotel rooms (promoting to re use towels and sheets, small portions of shampoo products) to public restrooms (no paper towels, dyson hand dryers) and lobby areas (recycle bins) I was impressed and happy to see this effort.

Overall a successful (great networking) and satisfying (good service and accommodations) stay.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
abushtv, Manager at Turf Valley Resort, responded to this review, 13 October 2011
Thank you for your review - I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay and all that Turf Valley has to offer! I appreciate your feedback about our restaurant. It is through reviews like yours that we can continue to improve our guests' experiences. Please don't hesitate to contact me at visitus@turfvalley.com if you have any questions or concerns, or if I can assist you in any way.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 4 October 2011

I took advantage of the hotels.com offer and enjoyed a mini vacation to discover Ellicott City. I did write a brief review of my stay on the hotels.com website, however thought of sharing my feedback on Trip Advisor as well.

Except for my room service order experience this was a fantastic deal. To be brief - order taker in the restaurant was rude and my sandwich did not taste good. The delivery took longer than 45 minutes. The server was nice, however my dirty tray never got picked up.

So since I explored the historic city here is a list of recommendations:

Lunch: Tersiguel's (French Country. Top Notch Service). Dinner: Portali's (Fine Dining. Delicious Italian). Late Night Drinks: Ellicott Mills Brewing Company

Overall my stay was great. Everyone was very friendly. The room was lovely and modern. The setting is simply beautiful and so peaceful - especially for a girl from Vegas.

I will come back in the season and enjoy the outdoor pool.

K

Room Tip: Definitely get a room with a view of their golf courses. Its simply beautiful.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
abushtv, Manager at Turf Valley Resort, responded to this review, 5 October 2011
Thank you so much for your review. I am glad that you enjoyed Turf Valley and the surrounding area of Ellicott City! I'm sorry to hear of your poor experience with your room service order and I have passed your comments on to the appropriate staff. If you have any questions or concerns, or if there is anything else I can do for you, please feel free to contact me at visitus@turfvalley.com.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 1 October 2011

I expected more out of this "resort" and was disappointed with the service, skills of the staff and most importantly the cleanliness. This was a pre-wedding, friends getaway weekend. Although we were allowed to check in early, the staff was less then enthusiastic. When we got to our suite, which was a room for 5-6 people, it was lacking in glassware, bath accessories and towels. We had to stop the cleaning services in the hallway and ask for glasses, shampoos, soap, lotions, etc. We also had to call the front desk to have more towels brought up to us. During our stay, someone in our group lost a piece of jewelry in the hotel. The staff was less than helpful and clearly not experienced or trained enough to assist in helping a guest to find a missing item. The front desk staff brushed it off and didn't seem to realize how important it was to us, to find it. Apparently, another guest in the hotel did find the jewelry and asked the front desk if anyone lost it. The front desk staff did not take the steps of asking the item to be left at the front desk, getting information from the guest, like room number, phone number, where it was found, etc. so that we could call to get it returned. According to the front desk, the guest said they would "bring it down" but they never did. When we asked what the person looked like so we could be on the lookout and ask around, we were told "it was an older woman". After waiting for over 1 1/2 hrs in the lobby in hopes this "older woman" would come down with the jewelry, we approached the front desk again and finally the girl said "that was over 2 hrs ago-sorry". The girl at the front desk admitted to not remembering what the woman looked like and was of zero help. I called 2 times after leaving, to find out if anyone returned the jewelry and no one did. Upon leaving, we searched the room and I lifted the chair cushions-FILTH. There were food crumbles, q-tips and glittler-hate to see what was in the couch and other chairs! We didn't want to touch anything else. Not to mention the article of clothing we found in a corner of the bedroom that must have been there for 6 months, as it had dust all over it. Needless to say we felt dirty leaving this resort. A letter is on it's way to the owner and general manager.

The saving grace, if you will...was the spa! They were professional, on time, friendly and created a pleasant environment. A great deal 1/2 day spa: 2 services and lunch! Food was even good!

I would recommend the spa and go back, but definitely not the hotel! There are plenty of other resorts in the area to go to!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay. I'm very disappointed to hear of the issues you experienced during your stay and I have shared your comments with the appropriate staff. I am so glad that you enjoyed our Spa and hope that you will visit again. Please feel free to contact me at visitus@turfvalley.com if you have any questions or concerns, or if there is anything else I can do for you.

Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed 18 September 2011

I came to Turf Valley to represent my company at the Forman convention. Although business it felt like a retreat. I got to play golf, dine, and get some rest. The courses are in top notch condition. The facility is a great conference center. The room met my expectations. The k cup coffee machine was great. The food was delicious. The staff was very friendly. I hope to come back next year. (only comment: i assume it was very busy because there were always trays from room service on my floor)

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Four Seasons Baltimore
Four Seasons Baltimore
#3 of 66 in Baltimore
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,334 reviews

Been to Turf Valley Resort? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK