“Best celiac-safe restaurant in Maryland, perhaps in USA”
Review of One Dish Cuisine

One Dish Cuisine
Ranked #24 of 179 Restaurants in Ellicott City
Price range: US$ 10 - US$ 30
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Description: We are a full Cafe, Deli and Bakery dedicated to those with Celiac Disease and/or Food Allergies. We have many Vegan and Vegetarian Options as well. Our Facility is free of Gluten (Wheat, Rye & Barely), Oats, Soy, Egg, Sesame, Fish, Shell Fish, Peanuts, Tree Nuts (except coconut). Our 2nd kitchen is also free of Casein (Milk, Dairy, Lactose.) *If you have other allergies, please notify us when you arrive and please consult our ingredient book!
Reviewed 10 June 2018

One Dish is a unique resource for Celiac sufferers and their families. Everything on the menu is entirely gluten free, there is no gluten in the restaurant at all. This is a small, family run restaurant with an informal atmosphere. We are a celiac family and it is so amazing to be able to eat out with no anxiety at all! The gluten-free pizza is amazing.

Maureen B, Owner at One Dish Cuisine, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2018

David, thank you so much for taking the time to write a review and share your experience with others. We are so glad that you enjoyed your meal and we look forward to safely serve you again soon!

Reviewed 20 May 2018

Brought a party of eight early on a Sunday afternoon. There was one family of four in the restaurant. The manager loudly and crossly complained that we had arrived without a reservation. He repeated this four different times during our time there. The food came out VERY SLOWLY, such that the final sandwich arrived one hour into the meal. One person ordered a Reuben with kraut, and another person ordered a Reuben without kraut. The sandwich with kraut was given to the person who ordered "without" in a restaurant that prides itself on allergy sensitivity. She took a bite and told the server she had the wrong sandwich. The manager took the sandwich back into the kitchen, then HE BROUGHT THE SAME SANDWICH, WITH A BITE TAKEN FROM IT, AND GAVE IT TO THE PERSON WHO HAD ORDERED THE SANDWICH WITH KRAUT. The manager said he would bring the correct sandwich in addition the "bonus" brought back from the kitchen. That is the sandwich that took ONE HOUR to arrive, and only after I went to the kitchen window to ask where the sandwich was. There are service items kept on low shelves where customers can get to them. I watched a small child walk up to the coffee stirs, take them all out of a cup, drop many on the floor, then return many to the same cup. His mother then picked the rest of the stirs up from the floor and put them into the cup. I gave the cup to the server. No employee saw the child or his mother, so those stirs would have been given to customers. After the manager complained that we had arrived without a reservation for the fourth time, I asked him what difference it would have made. I pointed out that we would all have ordered at the same time, and the reservation would have made no difference as his restaurant was empty when we arrived save the single family. He stated his website says that large parties need to make reservations, and he would have asked questions about what we wanted on the phone. It was a wholly unacceptable answer. So, after mixing up an order, delaying an order one hour, SERVING FOOD TO A CUSTOMER THAT HAD ALREADY BEEN EATEN FROM BY ANOTHER CUSTOMER, serving one order incompletely, and complaining to us, about us, the entire time we were there, there was NO effort at guest recovery. We were charged the same high prices on all of the meals. While my gluten-sensitive daughter likes this restaurant, I have no intention of going there again.

1  Thank Tony R
Maureen B, Owner at One Dish Cuisine, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2018

Hi Tony R, I apologize and am so sorry to hear this. I was in the back on the cooking line and will try to address your complaints one by one. I understand that you were upset that we were out of grilled chicken; but you were notified upon ordering and we cannot change that, when we are completely out, we are out. Again, I apologize that we were out of grilled chicken; Saturday was a busy day and that cleaned us out for Sunday. First; we have no health code violations and I will address that statement at the end. We have a smaller staff on Sundays; as we are usually much slower. Reservations are requested for 4 or more people; it says this on our website. It is just common sense to make a reservation for a party of 8, no matter when or where you are going and especially when coming to the only specialty restaurant of it's kind in the United States! Restaurants staff up based on historical trends and requiring reservations for parties of 4 or more allows them to know ahead of time what to expect; so they can staff appropriately (and set-up tables). What you failed to mention is that you came in with a party of 8 without a reservation, then a party of 6 was immediately behind you (without a reservation), and a party of 5 (without a reservation); all within 5-10 minutes. (In addition to other dine-in customers and carry-out.) The server accidentally served the Reuben with kraut to the person who requested no kraut. We knew that the kraut was not an allergy and that "no kraut" was a preference. AN ALLERGY WOULD HAVE BEEN LISTED ON THE TICKET! I was right in the middle of the next ticket and could not stop what I was doing at that point and remake the Reuben on the spot. We wanted to offer the untouched half of the Reuben to the other diner at your table (since it was the same party and there was no allergy for that person) I could get another one made. When I got another one made it did not take anywhere near an hour but I was right in the middle of the next ticket. The diner in your party seemed happy because he got a sandwich plus a half that was not eaten by the other person in your party and it is not a healthcare violation for someone else in the party to take the free mistake half sandwich. As far as the coffee stirrers go, we cannot help it if other customers don't control their children. We are grateful that you brought it to the attention of the server; who threw them out and would have directed other customers to spoons should the need arise. Again, an unsupervised child dropping coffee stirrers on the floor is not a health code violation by us. You also neglected to mention that your ticket was read back to you by the server at the end and you accepted a ticket price that was 1/3 the price of your meal; it was not a high price. Also, we make everything (breads, etc) from scratch, use top quality meats that we prepare and/or slice here, we have no additives, colors, dyes, preservatives in our food and are free of the gluten and the top allergens. I am sorry that you think it is high priced. It is not high priced and if you lived with Celiac Disease, gluten-sensitivity or life threatening food allergies; you would know we are not high priced. The server apologized and so did the manager and everyone seemed to have liked their meals. Again, I am sorry we were out of grilled chicken and apologize for the wait to get the correct Reuben re-made. We are not a fast food restaurant and I am glad that your daughter enjoys it here but she or someone in your party should have had a light bulb moment and made a reservation. That being said, you should not be made to feel bad about it, and if you were, I apologize for that too. When you don't make a reservation, you should expect to wait longer than normal.

Reviewed 30 March 2018

I went here with my husband on a Friday evening. I'm currently on a diet that was recommended by my doctor, which includes no dairy or gluten. As someone who loves going to restaurants, it's very, very difficult to find a place that caters to both my current needs. I was so happy when I found this place and it's not too far from where I live either. Everything has no gluten in it and many of the dishes come dairy free also. I had a chocolate chip cookie, chicken tenders and french fries, which was all free of gluten and dairy. My husband does not have any issues, but prefers to eat a vegetarian/vegan diet when he can, so he had dairy-free spaghetti with meatballs and garlic bread. I didn't have any stomach issues afterwards, which was great. Prices aren't too bad. I will definitely be back here in the future.

Maureen B, Owner at One Dish Cuisine, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2018

Thank you so much for the review! I am so glad that both of you enjoyed your meals and we look forward to seeing you back again soon!

Reviewed 24 September 2017 via mobile

My wife and I are semi-regulars here, mostly about every other Friday. We meet people from all over the country sometimes, yes because it's that good. It's not just the awesomely delicious food such as the Maryland wings, pizza, or sub. It's not just the totally fulfilling desserts such as cinnamon buns, whoopee pies, glazed donuts, or cupcakes. It's not just the fact that you can finally sit back and relax your defensive manners because you're afraid you might get "glutened" (that just won't happen here). It's not just the great customers who are all sharing the same allergies. It comes down to the hard working employees and the two great people in this picture - owners Maureen and Dave. By the way I took this pic while they sat and talked to us. Check them out sometime... you'll be glad you did!

Maureen B, Owner at One Dish Cuisine, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2017

Thanks for the review HappyTrails2us_59...I am so glad you enjoy eating a safe meal here! I don't see the photos so I don't know who you are. Thank you for the review and let us know who you are the next time you are in.

Reviewed 10 July 2017

We were traveling to PA and discovered this Gem of a restaurant in Ellicott PA. I have Celiac and must also eat dairy free. I had a dairy free cheeseburger with fries while my husband who has no allergies had a gluten free Reuben. Both were excellent. On our way home, we stopped for a large pepperoni pizza. Best ever. What a relief to eat without fear of cross contamination or being sick latter. Little more expensive but worth the peace of mind. Taste wasn't sacrificed either. Delicious. Also bought cupcakes for the trip and loved them. Used Waze and mapquest as they're not easy to find.

Maureen B, Owner at One Dish Cuisine, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2018

Thank you so much for the review Sue H and for sharing your experience with others. We hope to see you the next time you are passing through the area!