“Good for the price I paid”

Elk Forge B&B Inn, Retreat and Day Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Elkton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 June 2012

I bought this as a Living Social deal, so the price was about half of what you'd normally pay. The inn is in a lovely setting, though a little run down looking. The room was clean & comfortable, but nothing to rave about. The area is very "truck-stoppy", with not much to do unless you're willing to travel. The little town nearby (5 miles) was more geared towards college kids than adults away on a romantic weekend. We went to Lancaster for the day which was nice, but it's 50 miles each way.

We woke up on our first day there & decided to skip the breakfast - it's served from 7-8:30 and we were on vacation! We left our room at 11:30 for the day, and were disappointed upon our return to find that the room had not been made up. Someone had been in our room, because it was left unlocked, but the bed wasn't made & the overflowing trash can (the only one in the room) hadn't been emptied. When we picked up the house phone to ask for ice, the person who answered (after about 15 rings) told me that there was nobody currently on site & we could help ourselves to ice from the kitchen. Fine, but a little weird.

We made ourselves get up for breakfast the second day, and were a little disappointed at the offerings. Food was good (not great), but selection was a bit limited.

Everything about this place was "average", nothing made us go "wow". Overall we had a nice time, but I'm glad I didn't pay full price for the stay. I would've been disappointed.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank J D

Reviewed 5 June 2012

Perhaps we arrived at the wrong time. The owner's son was married the day after our arrival at the inn, but our experience was not positive. On arrival we had to hunt someone up to give us our key. Our room, the Pennsylvania Room, had a very comfortable bed, but the ceiling was peeling off in the bathroom.
The next morning breakfast was served at 8:30, but I would hardly call it a full breakfast - a tiny cup of bread pudding and a slice of quiche with (I kid you not) one raspberry, a thin slice of honeydew melon which was not ripe and a small ball of cantalope. Since I cannot eat eggs, I asked for a slice of bacon or ham in place of the quiche and the server said she'd see what she could do about that. I'm still waiting.
All through the two days of our stay that staff was virtually non-existent and the physical plant was in sad repair. It could be a lovely setting, but with the gardens sporting dead plants and lawn chairs left overturned until they practically root, it isn't now.

Room Tip: Stay at the Comfort Inn nearby
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank townhistorian06754
Reviewed 14 May 2012

Great place in an area with lots to see and do. Breakfast is heartier with eggs, potatoes and bacon in interesting recipes. Did not have enought time to take advantage of the spa services, hopefully next visit. Did see people enjoying "tea" in the afternoon and it looked delicious. There is also a shop with a wide variety of tea to purchase along with books, china and cut glass to bring back pleasant memories of your wonderful stay.

Room Tip: Rooms on the third floor have sloped ceilings - might not be good for very tall people.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lorraine235
Reviewed 11 May 2012

My husband and I bought a deal on living social to stay at Elk Forge- and so glad we did. The manager was more than helpful when I called to ask if I could hold a room until my coupon came through Living Social- he looked it up for me no problem and booked the room. Place was very cute- room was nice. On-site spa definitely a plus! Breakfast was good both mornings- location was excellent with lots to do in surrounding areas. Will definitely be returning!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 897lisac897
Reviewed 24 April 2012

My wife and I recently stayed at Elk Forge and it was a very pleasant stay. The staff were great and the room was gorgeous. Will definitely return in the near future!!!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple