“Average food and unfriendly service”
Review of Ichiban Cafe

Ichiban Cafe
Ranked #214 of 294 Restaurants in Columbia
Cuisines: Chinese, Japanese
Reviewed 22 January 2018

The ramen here is nothing impressive. Definitely overpriced. What’s worse is the service. There is only one person in the front area-doing cashier, taking order and even bringing out the order-the owner herself presumably. My friend has a eye problem and can’t sit by the bright windows so she requested to move to back tables-the waiter (or host?-doesn’t matter, it’s the same person) declined without apology saying each table is coded with the check so we couldn’t move (FYI we haven’t even placed the order yet, and the whole place is quite empty-we were the only customer with only one other table occupied). I had the feeling since there weren’t many customers (slow day), perhaps she wanted only the front tables occupied to show through the window there were people eating there to draw more customers, since it was lunch time. (I grew up in East Asia and have heard of this practice of restaurant owners there). Either way if the food is actually Ichiban-meaning no.1, I would have still recommended it. Unfortunately the food is not even good.

Date of visit: September 2017

Reviewed 11 March 2017

The salad was warm the sushi was also and I got hop]t sour soup and it was so unbalanced and . The female server was just not thinking about work, the ordered fried rice made with brown rice and it came made with white rice. When we complained to the manager she said we ordered it with white rice, i just believe they didn't have brown rice made. This was my second time here, I will never come back, why does anyone come with horrible customer service and unprofessionally, inconsistently and poorly cooked food. I am sure I am not the only person where diarrhea was a consequence of eating here. NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!

Date of visit: March 2017
2  Thank Richard A
Reviewed 20 July 2016 via mobile

Had the salmon sashimi tasted a bit fishy. Freshness is questionable. Also had the Ichiban roll - instead of seaweed they use some imitation bright pink substitute. No idea what it was but was not appetizing. Servers held the soup bowl with her thumb halfway inside it - yum! Will not go back.

Date of visit: July 2016
1  Thank binyamb
Reviewed 6 July 2016

I have tried this place twice. The first time I went we had ramen and it was decent I thought. Second time I went we had sushi, pork buns, and ramen. The sushi was horrible like a previous person reviewed warm fish and mushy rice. The pork bun was good. The ramen this time seemed a bit less than before less ingredients or something. The guy waiting our table was very nice and polite, but the lady that was behind the counter seemed really out sorts with customers that came in after us as well as the guy that was waiting our table. It made us feel a bit on edge and more eager to leave. The decor is very sparse and could use some fun lively touches to brighten up the place.

Date of visit: January 2016
2  Thank R9500ADchrisg
Reviewed 30 May 2016 via mobile

My husband and I do take out almost weekly. They added Ramen in the last year or so which is good. The udon and sushi is a better value compared to another very close Asian fusion option. We prefer not to dine in but the woman who mans the front always has a smile and some small talk.

Date of visit: May 2016